Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Asleep at ORD & Missed Connection

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2010, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by Alan6557
I was totally embarassed. I've traveled for many years, and have never missed a connecting flight because I fell asleep. Has anyone had this experience before?

About a month ago, I was at ORD RCC. I did not get any sleep the previous night, although I got about an hour of sleep on the morning inbound flight from DTW. So I sat down at a desk which you see in the first picture shortly after noon. http://s880.photobucket.com/albums/a...view=slideshow (Thanks, Pat+) Then I fell asleep. Woke up after four hours, only to find my shirt largely soaked with my saliva. As you see, the desk has a short partition, so whoever walking in front of the desk could see my saliva-soaked shirt. If luckier, they could capture the moment when I was salivating on my shirt. It was too bad that my upper body was upright when I was sleeping.

Fortunately, I did not miss my flight. Was heading to MUC, which UA serves only one flight per day. Had I missed that flight, I might had to wait for a day unless LH offers a flight after that UA flight. I noticed that my parent called me 10+ times, one of which woke me up at last, since they knew that I did not get any sleep the previous night.

So the question is which is more embarrassing. Missing connection or salivating on shirt. Salivating on shirt happened many times to me, it was not very embarrassing. Nevertheless, I tried my best to hide the large smudge on my shirt and waited patiently until the moment no one was around on my way to restroom. On a side note, I almost missed a flight to EWR while I was sleeping at ORD RCC about a year ago when I made a MR from CDG to EWR and back. Coincidently, the flight to EWR got delayed for three hours, hence I did not miss the connection.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 2:08 pm

Programs: XP AA, ◊ HGP, PL SPG, 1K UA
Originally Posted by N227UA
salivating on shirt.
Sounds more like drooling . I find it cute when my partner does that...just like a baby. I do it too, sometimes.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Alan6557
...Has anyone had this experience before?
Once. Fell asleep at the DFW lounge (so probably AA) and missed the last flight of the day to Vancouver. Had to be there the next morning. They put me on a flight to Seattle and I rented a car to drive the rest of the way. Got in at 2 am, but did my morning presentation reasonably well.

On one earlier occasion, I lost track of time shopping at ZRH (though I was awake). Got to the gate to find out that my Y seat had been given away. The agent, to her infinite regret, had to put me in F ... There I was in 1B, reclining, sipping champagne, with an FA peeling me grapes, as my boss boarded and went back to his seat next to where I was supposed to be.

Fortunately, I wasn't going to stay with that company much longer anyhow.

(As the Mastercard commercial say: "The look on his face: Priceless.")
Old Jan 30, 2010, 6:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz Gold
I have seen, more than once, sleeping people in RCC with a sign on their chest saying: "Wake me at nn:nn".

Also, to me much worse, was my kids' school trip to Costa Rica. Teacher/chaparone missed the "change of gate" call in IAH by CO, they missed the whole dang flight! CO was kind enough to put them up in hotel, and on next am flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.