Search

Medicines for traveling

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2010, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by SirRagnar
I'm a pharmacist.

Doxycycline is a great antibiotic and also a malaria prophylactic and it will cover most of the bacterial infections you may encounter (for malaria prophylaxis you need to pre-load a week prior to departure and take them every day).
Is that similiar to Amoxicillin ? It seems it works when one have a really bad sore throat.

I will usually also bring ciprofloxacine and imodium for gastro-intestinal problem often encountered it works great to take imodium and if more severe combine it with one 500mg tablet of ciprofloxacine. It'll take pretty much all gastro-intestinal issues caused by bacteria (if a virus you just need to suck it up )
I thought cipro is like one of the strongest antibiotics that treat intestine virus like shigella, listeria and ecoli, even anthrax ?
Old Jan 29, 2010, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by rnmcd
I don't want to pay the $250 (insurance non-reimbursable) fee to see him.
If you buy whatever antibiotics from websites or somewhere, it is not a good idea either. Without the knowleage of your doctor, you may end up getting an allegeric reaction to one of the antibiotics.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 2:55 pm

Programs: SK EBG |CSA OK+ Gold | SPG Gold | CO, BD, QR, AF lowlife
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
Is that similiar to Amoxicillin ? It seems it works when one have a really bad sore throat.
Works quite differently, but both are antibiotics. Cipro being more broad. Amoxicillin is in the penicillin group. Penicillin is often most effective against respiratory infections, but it all depends on the kind of infection.

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
I thought cipro is like one of the strongest antibiotics that treat intestine virus like shigella, listeria and ecoli, even anthrax ?
Well yes and no. Yes to that it is effective against those, but those are not vira; they are bacteria.
Virus is for instance influenza virus, Human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), hepatitis virus and such. Antibiotics does not have any effect on virus.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 7:16 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by BarbiJKM
I always ask my family doctor for a prescription for both a broad-spectrum antibiotic and a pain killer when traveling overseas. He has never had a problem with giving me this, particularly when I'm going on an extended trip (a month or more). Just ask and you may receive! Both meds came in extremely handy when I had a gum infection while away from medical/dental care.
I just got prescriptions today for two antibiotics from my dentist, also a travel enthusiast.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 10:14 pm

Programs: UA 1P

Doxycycline is a great antibiotic [...]
However, it has one major downside when traveling in sunny areas. It is photo-sensibilizing, which means you will more easily turn red and get burned by the sun. [...]

I will usually also bring ciprofloxacine
To be sure, cipro is also photosensibilizing.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 10:39 pm

Programs: The usual suspects
There is a good summary of travel health on the website www.UpToDate.com. The one in the Patient Information section is free, and there is a lot of reliable and helpful information there.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 12:44 am

Programs: SK EBG |CSA OK+ Gold | SPG Gold | CO, BD, QR, AF lowlife
Originally Posted by knifemein
To be sure, cipro is also photosensibilizing.
It is indeed.
I had actually written a story in my initial reply about me getting burned bad after taken cipro and spending a day at the beach, but the post was getting a bit long so I took out that story.
It should be taken seriously when a drug is photosensibilizing. I got an extreme burn that time and I have seen several patients that have been burned bad even in Copenhagen (where we are not known for the sun) after taking photosensibilizing drugs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.