Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best program for free upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2010, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

Best program for free upgrades

New to this website and wow there are a lot of message boards here! I think this is the best forum for my question since it's pretty general. All things being equal, I was curious which domestic airline is the best for free first class upgrades?

That's the only thing I'm interested in and after spending several hours looking at all the programs I still have no clue which would be the best. Again, let's pretend that everything else is equal. I know in reality sometimes one airline is more convenient because of location etc but I'm just curious which is the easiest overall with upgrades. Thanks and I look forward to participating on FlyerTalk!
Old Jan 2, 2010, 5:48 pm

You need to provide a bit more info. Most of the big US airlines either have or are moving towards free upgrades for elites. It really depends on where you live and how much you fly. Free upgrades are hard if you are a low-level elite flying out of a hub city.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Welcome to FT! You'll find lots of disagreement, but many (including me) would argue that American is best for domestic upgrades. As denver suggested, though, more info from you will generate more info from folks trying to help you out.

By the way, for more answers you might want to delete your question here and post the same question on the Miles Buzz forum, which is more appropriate for the information you're seeking. (You can't delete the entire post, but by editing it you can remove the words. I suggest doing this because otherwise you'll be committing the FT no-no of posting the same question in two different forums.)

Come to think of it, moderators, might you move this to Miles Buzz?
Old Jan 2, 2010, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by denverhockeyguy
You need to provide a bit more info. Most of the big US airlines either have or are moving towards free upgrades for elites. It really depends on where you live and how much you fly. Free upgrades are hard if you are a low-level elite flying out of a hub city.
OK a bit more info, I will get elite status with whatever airline is deemed the best. I like to travel and plan to do more in 2010, the last two years were off years and I currently don't have status. I was always Gold Elite with NWA before and thought they were generous with upgrades. Nowadays I live in Las Vegas so any airline is doable since pretty much everyone flies here. There is no one place I travel to more than others and a lot of travel is spur of the moment, see a good deal and want a fun trip. That's why I said if all things are equal, my biggest thing is I like the free bump into first so my loyalty will go with whoever is most generous with upgrades.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Welcome to FT! You'll find lots of disagreement, but many (including me) would argue that American is best for domestic upgrades. As denver suggested, though, more info from you will generate more info from folks trying to help you out.

By the way, for more answers you might want to delete your question here and post the same question on the Miles Buzz forum, which is more appropriate for the information you're seeking. (You can't delete the entire post, but by editing it you can remove the words. I suggest doing this because otherwise you'll be committing the FT no-no of posting the same question in two different forums.)

Come to think of it, moderators, might you move this to Miles Buzz?
If a mod thinks that's where this should be then I'm cool with it being moved. I looked carefully at the forum descriptions and thought this was the best forum for such a general question but I'm new so I'm probably wrong lol.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 6:36 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by Pokerface
If a mod thinks that's where this should be then I'm cool with it being moved. I looked carefully at the forum descriptions and thought this was the best forum for such a general question but I'm new so I'm probably wrong lol.
Welcome to Flyertalk, Pokerface. I agree with your decision to post your thread in the TravelBuzz Forum.
Happy New Year.
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Jan 9, 2010, 3:59 am
Original Poster

Well I guess nobody has advice. It would be nice to be able to compare all the programs and figure out which is the best to concentrate on for upgrades.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by Pokerface
Well I guess nobody has advice. It would be nice to be able to compare all the programs and figure out which is the best to concentrate on for upgrades.
The problem is, you're asking for an easy answer to a question that has no easy answer. There are too many variables involved, including the airlines' frequent flyer policies, your status, availability of upgrade seats to your destination, etc.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 5:56 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
[Off-topic discussion deleted by Moderator.]

I would say it's very difficult to consider everything being equal.

As far as upgrades goes, your home base, elite status, routes (domestic vs. international), destinations and seasonal demands all play important roles. Without knowing the specifics, I doubt any savvy FTers can give your any tailored advice.

Last edited by lin821; Jan 10, 2010 at 3:47 pm Reason: To remove off-topic discussion. OP fixing a typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.