Wiki Posts
Search

A reminder about seat belts: 9 injured on AA plane

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2009, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

A reminder about seat belts: 9 injured on AA plane

Make sure that you--and people around you--keep their seat belt on and tighten them during turbulence.

Source: http://www.avherald.com/h?article=421d8a75&opt=0

Five people including three small children with head injuries and flesh wounds were brought to local hospitals, four people were treated at the airport.
[...]
Two women were thrown out of their seats falling on top of other passengers following a strong pitching movement and luggage and glass was flying through the cabin.
Flight was AA61 DFW-NRT of 25OCT

[Note: searched but didn't see this reported before]
Old Dec 9, 2009, 11:57 am

Programs: AA PLT
This is crazy.

that the airplane had already experienced strong turbulence for about 20 minutes

20 minutes into turbulence and they still hadn't buckled up???? And they were on final.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 12:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by Joka
This is crazy.

that the airplane had already experienced strong turbulence for about 20 minutes

20 minutes into turbulence and they still hadn't buckled up???? And they were on final.
I will admit on long hauls when it is smooth I will unbuckle to become more comfortable. But the when the a/c starts rocking I buckle up.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Priority Club Platinum, Starwood Gold, National Emerald Club
I was out and about in FRA early this summer with a FA who said she had been pretty severely injured on a DFW-NRT flight that encountered some very heavy turbulence. In fact, it was enough injury that she actually couldn't fly for quite some time. She said she had been slammed against the wall and ceiling and then the force of the turbelence sent her flying down the aisle.

Apparently those DFW-NRT flights can really encounter some rough air for whatever reason.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 1:03 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
my niece [an aa fa] was injured about 6 years ago on a 75 or 76 dfw-fll [mia?]...5 or 6 fa's were hurt, don't know about pax, but she was off for 4-5 months.....unfortunately it was quick and during descent so the fa's were up and about on duty....

dad gum cat [clear air turbulence]....i always keep the belt on...
Old Dec 9, 2009, 1:58 pm

Programs: My opinions are not those of AA or any affiliates of AMR Corp.
you should NEVER take your seatbelt off in-flight. Thankfully there aren't more injuries due to turbulence. I think if I wear my seatbelt in a car for 6hrs, what's the difference wearing a seatbelt in a plane for 6hrs?

You just never know when or where clear air turbulence will occur. Just keep in low and tight to be safe at all times...even if the sign is off.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 2:06 pm

I will always wear my seatbelt: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aloha_Airlines_Flight_243
Old Dec 9, 2009, 2:08 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I can see a situation where a pax buckled up is injured by a pax who is UN-buckled. So buckling can act to protect others as well.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 2:16 pm

Programs: Ex-HHonors Diamond (now nothing), former AA EXP
Well, the report does say that they were flying into a typhoon!! Is there any surprise that there would be turbulence?
Old Dec 9, 2009, 2:30 pm

Programs: EXP
Originally Posted by Doghound
that must have been either a very horrifying experience or a somewhat pleasant one (with the wind blowing on your hair and all.....) jk
Old Dec 9, 2009, 2:44 pm

Programs: back to AA PLT, 1.6+MM
I've had some very rough approaches into NRT.

I'll admit there's one seat type where I'll sometimes unlatch the belt - First in the Mad Dogs. The seat belts in Y are no problem, and I don't even need to extend them all the way for them to be loose. No problem in F in other planes, either. But some of the MD-80 seats in First have belts that are a bit on the tight side for me - definitely the tightest belts on any plane I've been on. So I'll unlatch them if we're cruising in calm air.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 2:56 pm

Programs: EXP
Originally Posted by PDX-PLT
I've had some very rough approaches into NRT.

I'll admit there's one seat type where I'll sometimes unlatch the belt - First in the Mad Dogs. The seat belts in Y are no problem, and I don't even need to extend them all the way for them to be loose. No problem in F in other planes, either. But some of the MD-80 seats in First have belts that are a bit on the tight side for me - definitely the tightest belts on any plane I've been on. So I'll unlatch them if we're cruising in calm air.
but turbulence can strike at any moment and your fellow passengers may suffer the consequences!!
Old Dec 9, 2009, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2.5MM SPG
This raises a peripheral question I always wanted to ask. Why is it easier (at least for me) to handle turbulence lying flat rather than sitting up ?
Old Dec 9, 2009, 3:26 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
As the sound advice in this thread pertains to every airline, we'll port this over to TravelBuzz for broader reading.

dstan
AA Forum Co-Moderator
Old Dec 9, 2009, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Joka
This is crazy.

That far into turbulence, I would have been tightly buckled and holding tightly to the armrests.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.