The emptiest flight you've ever been on

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The emptiest flight you've ever been on

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2016, 1:18 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Mine was circa '04 on USAir, ORF-LGA. I don't remember the actual plane model, a 2x2 twin engine turboprop on USAir.

Myself and one other passenger boarded. We chose our own seats, the FA did the safety presentation in her normal voice, unaided by the God-Phone. Beverage service was still normal.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 1:39 am

SAN-SEA on AS (so 737) right after 9/11. ~10 passengers in the entire plane. FA said something really witty about that in conjunction with something about 9/11, but I can't remember. It was an evening flight with dark cabin, very eery.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 1:37 am

About seven years ago I took a flight from Altoona, PA To IAD. I think it was a Dash-8 or something about that size. I was the only passenger on the plane. They asked me to sit in the back row to balance the load.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 8:51 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
BA 388 LHR-BRU on December 26 of last year. The A-319 was booked to a total of 14 people (out of a possible 123 or so). 13 in Euro Traveler and yours truly in Club Europe. They had the plane configured to 5 rows of CE. I took a selfie of me in the empty cabin:

Old Jan 2, 2017, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
My husband and I have been the only ones in business class a number of times including a recent SQ SIN to HKG.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by Flying Framer
Don't know why I'm posting one, as I'm sure you all know what the inside of an A380 looks like ☺
Ha - I thought the same when I was the only pax on a US 737 - posted earlier. I took pix, then realized they looked no different than any other static interior shot of the plane.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
I've flown maybe a dozen times as the only passenger. Rather nice having a Lear 60 or King Air 350 to yourself

Commerically it's slightly different...about 10yrs ago I flew on July 4th, RIC-BOS and the EMB-145 had maybe 5 people on it.

Around the same time I flew LHR-IAD on UA and one of the previous day's flights had been delayed overnight but most of the passengers must have been re-accomodated elsewhere because our flight was empty. We were in the main business cabin and there were maybe six other passengers on the 777.

I've also been the only passenger in the premium cabin, most often on BA's LGW-JER or v.v. flights, but also on several other flights. The most fun was when my ex-wife and I flew CX F between BKK-SIN. Lunchtime flight and only passengers in the nose, the service was exemplary...waited on hand and foot like royalty with about three FAs rotating between us during the flight. A nice bottle of red off the menu as a gift at the end to boot....once of the most memorable flights I can recall.

Last edited by Fraser; Jan 4, 2017 at 7:54 am
Old Jan 3, 2017, 10:23 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Flew a mid-afternoon SFO-DEN on United a few weeks ago that had seven passengers.

Really quite wonderful.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 12:47 pm

Not sure about the emptiest flight but for the emptiest cabin... a while back Mrs and I flew FRA-EWR on LH. There was a ton of equipment changes and in the end we ended up with a 748 while a few hours earlier at check-in it was still a 747. Right before boarding something possed me to check seat map again and voila... we had a totally empty upstairs to us while the main J cabin was rammed.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 2:17 pm
Suspended

LHR to DXB on Emirates last May. The flight was about 1/3 full and everybody had a full row to themselves to spread out. Wifi was also free for the entire flight. It was awesome!
Old Jan 3, 2017, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Once upon a time on a transatlantic Delta flight, the front cabin was full, but there couldn't have been more than a dozen of us in coach (if that many), so quiet it was like being in a flying library.

LAX - KIX in JAL business: there had been a stampede of returning Japanese pax from this one onto the earlier NRT (direct) flight as I understood it (I was connecting on to BKK). So, there were only seven of us in business class. They staffed a full business crew (5?) who were charged with looking after us, having to "look busy" which was proving tough. After the third drink which they eagerly pressed on me, I had to cut myself off; was as close an experience to flying a private jet as I'll ever manage.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 9:48 pm

I was on a commuter flight during the recession where I was the only passenger. For larger planes I've been on a couple redeyes with fewer than ten passengers.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA, AA Plat Pro, DL, Marriott Platinum
CLE-->DFW right before they did away with the flight shortly after the dehubbing. First flight of the morning and there were 7 of us on a 50 seat ERJ. We kept the windows down and I think everyone slept the entire way. If there was a beverage service I slept right through it.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 6:18 pm

Programs: QF
I had a Dash 8 Q400 to myself flying SYD-WGA
Old Jan 5, 2017, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Once upon a time on a transatlantic Delta flight, the front cabin was full, but there couldn't have been more than a dozen of us in coach (if that many), so quiet it was like being in a flying library.

LAX - KIX in JAL business: there had been a stampede of returning Japanese pax from this one onto the earlier NRT (direct) flight as I understood it (I was connecting on to BKK). So, there were only seven of us in business class. They staffed a full business crew (5?) who were charged with looking after us, having to "look busy" which was proving tough. After the third drink which they eagerly pressed on me, I had to cut myself off; was as close an experience to flying a private jet as I'll ever manage.
There were 7 of us in a 42 seat business cabin with Garuda. I thought we would of received great service. We didn't. The majority of the staff sat in the business class seats reading, sleeping and doing crosswords. Staff just walked down the aisle past you and didn't bother even asking if we needed anything. We had to hunt down staff for a drink.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.