Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Matrix ITA but for award flights?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2021, 8:51 pm
Original Poster

Matrix ITA but for award flights?

Is there something like the Matrix ITA but for miles not dollars?
Old Mar 21, 2021, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA 1P 1MM, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
ExpertFlyer pro version (paid) lets you search for awards etc. There may be others. I’ve never personally used it but I’m sure you can find more in the posts via search.

https://www.expertflyer.com/
flyerfirsts likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2021, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not sure what you mean "like Matrix ITA" (because I've never used it), but while paid ExpertFlyer can only search each airline's own award inventory, Award Nexus (www.awardnexus.com) lets you search an alliance at a time, and it's free up to a point for FlyerTalk members (click on "more signup options" under the green Purchase button for how to sign up for free as a FlyerTalk member).
flyerfirsts likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2021, 1:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
ExpertFlyer is very useful for this. Happy customer here.
flyerfirsts likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2021, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
A key difference of course is that Matrix ITA is free, whereas most, if not all, award search websites are trying to make some money. (which quite frankly is perfectly reasonable for all of the effort / value involved)
Old Mar 24, 2021, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
There is no equivalent nor will there ever be. Simple reason - sites like ITA Matrix rely on airlines publishing fares and availability to global distribution systems. They use this data to find and price flights across many airlines at once. Airlines do not publish this data for award travel, particularly on the fare side and sometimes even in the availability side.

Sites like ExpertFlyer will help you locate award availability for the airlines that publish award inventory data (and not all do)... but then they have no basis upon which to price it.

Other sites try to manually compile award charts from various airline websites to show you the lowest possible # of miles required between specified countries, but don’t actually check availability. Such sites are also stymied by airlines which no longer publish award charts, like Delta and United. They also tend to quickly fall out of date since it’s a huge effort to manually gather info on all the programs and maintain it.

Long story short - using a couple different sites can you help piece things together, but there is no place out there that will scan all airlines for awards and price them in miles in the style that ITA does for paid travel.
Old Mar 24, 2021, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by javabytes
There is no equivalent nor will there ever be. Simple reason - sites like ITA Matrix rely on airlines publishing fares and availability to global distribution systems. They use this data to find and price flights across many airlines at once. Airlines do not publish this data for award travel, particularly on the fare side and sometimes even in the availability side.

Sites like ExpertFlyer will help you locate award availability for the airlines that publish award inventory data (and not all do)... but then they have no basis upon which to price it.

Other sites try to manually compile award charts from various airline websites to show you the lowest possible # of miles required between specified countries, but don’t actually check availability. Such sites are also stymied by airlines which no longer publish award charts, like Delta and United. They also tend to quickly fall out of date since it’s a huge effort to manually gather info on all the programs and maintain it.
I suppose it would be too tedious a task for a crawler bot given how slow the airline websites are, but I'm surprised nobody has tried. I guess there just isn't enough of a market for the expense.
Old Mar 24, 2021, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by flyerfirsts
I suppose it would be too tedious a task for a crawler bot given how slow the airline websites are, but I'm surprised nobody has tried. I guess there just isn't enough of a market for the expense.
In addition to that, most airlines expressly forbid scraping data from their sites/systems in an automated fashion.
Old Mar 25, 2021, 1:58 am

It would be very expensive and slow. Similar to mining bitcoin.
Old Mar 25, 2021, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by javabytes
In addition to that, most airlines expressly forbid scraping data from their sites/systems in an automated fashion.
Originally Posted by erik123
It would be very expensive and slow. Similar to mining bitcoin.
There are several websites that show award space on some or many airlines. SeatSpy is one example. JuicyMiles is another.

But you have to pay them for the service...
Old Mar 27, 2021, 12:06 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
There was one, but it seems as if it is no longer working:

Flightplan: How to search a year of award inventory
Originally Posted by jd20
TLDR: Flightplan is a set of command-line tools I built to scrape airline award inventory, and then display it in a fancy web UI. It's free, cross-platform, and open-source. You download and run it on your own machine. If you know how to program JavaScript, you can also use it as a library to write your own scraping scripts. Below is a condensed write-up of why I created it, and how it works. You can read the full version here: Flightplan: A new way to research flight awards

New Website: https://www.flightplantool.com

Github Repo: https://github.com/flightplan-tool/flightplan

Video Tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMtiucIPOxs

Old Jul 19, 2022, 10:23 am

You can search for award availability on ITA, but it's complicated. I found this article which details how to search using fare codes, but only for one airline is it written. I found this thread looking for an already put-together guide on the rest of the airlines, but theoretically, it's the same process,m just learning to use the airport codes, and fare codes.

Well, I can't post links yet apparently, but it's from thrifty traveler, and here's a bit from the article:
A Next-Level Tip to Find the Right Fares

How on earth can you find those L, U, T, X, and V fares you need to use these certificates? Are you supposed to just search route after route on Delta until you finally come up with a result?

There’s a tool that can easily help you zero in on flights that work: It’s called ITA Matrix. I’ll show you exactly how it can help in this situation.

Think of ITA Matrix like Google Flights on steroids … and then some. While it’s a fairly advanced platform, it has a ton of powerful features that you won’t find on Google Flights or other sites. Most importantly, it allows you to search for specific fare classes … including the ones you need in order to find flights to use your Delta companion certificate.

This article is about finding an available companion ticket availability, but the concept is the same.

Moderator's edit: Here is a link to the article: Struggling to Use Your Delta Companion Ticket? Read This Guide

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 19, 2022 at 11:01 am Reason: Copyright violation. Redacted excess quoting. Inserted a link to the article. Formatting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.