The account config should paste to:
C:\Users\User.Name\AppData\Local\Yarn\bin\config\c onfig

Now I running search command and waiting the whole year result
Old Jul 9, 2018, 7:44 pm

Yes! I got result!

Absolutely amazing tools!
daft009 likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 8:34 pm

Is it possible to specify number of passenger during the search?
Old Jul 10, 2018, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rickywk
Update, I got it!
The account config should paste to:
C:\Users\User.Name\AppData\Local\Yarn\bin\config\c onfig

Now I running search command and waiting the whole year result
No reason it won't work, but I wouldn't recommend running the tool from AppData\Local\Yarn\bin\config, otherwise all the data is going to get put in that directory. Better to create a separate directory (like "C:\flightplan" or something) and run the flightplan tool from that directory. On Windows, you can just run "mkdir c:\flightplan" to create the directory and then "cd c:\flightplan" to switch to it.

Yes! I got result!

Absolutely amazing tools!
Congrats!

Is it possible to specify number of passenger during the search?
Yes, put "-q 2" (or whatever number you want) on the command line when you run. There's a neat trick actually, if you run searches for quantity 1 first, then run "flightplan parse", and run for "-q 2" it will skip searching dates for which there wasn't even one award fare available (since if 1 was unavailable, 2 won't be available either). This can make the "-q 2" search run a lot faster.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by blahter
This is great! Having created award.flights I was wondering if you've run into issues with sites that use js frameworks that have a shadow DOM (angular 2+, React) and events not firing properly or does Puppeteer+Headless Chrome negate that issue? QFs & ACs pages in particular are a pain.
Thanks blahter, the work you've done with award.flights is awesome ^ With Puppeteer, you basically just see the virtual DOM in real-time as it exists inside Chrome. The biggest issue with the SPA (single-page app's) like all the airline websites, is it's really hard to know when they're done loading (or if they've loaded at all, when you hit a Submit button and get a modal pop-up instead). I do a lot of visual checks (like is there still a spinner, or do I see the type of data I expect) to know when it's done.

I haven't done Chrome extension development myself, but I'm actually surprised you run into virtual DOM issues with award.flights, since it's running inside Chrome I'd imagine you see the exact same DOM that Puppeteer sees. I might try QF / AC next, just to see if they're doing anything drastically different.
skit53 and daft009 like this.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by finiteyoda
Thanks blahter, the work you've done with award.flights is awesome ^ With Puppeteer, you basically just see the virtual DOM in real-time as it exists inside Chrome. The biggest issue with the SPA (single-page app's) like all the airline websites, is it's really hard to know when they're done loading (or if they've loaded at all, when you hit a Submit button and get a modal pop-up instead). I do a lot of visual checks (like is there still a spinner, or do I see the type of data I expect) to know when it's done.

I haven't done Chrome extension development myself, but I'm actually surprised you run into virtual DOM issues with award.flights, since it's running inside Chrome I'd imagine you see the exact same DOM that Puppeteer sees. I might try QF / AC next, just to see if they're doing anything drastically different.
There's 2 big hurdles to get over with extensions:
  1. The javascript you can inject is run in a separate context than the page's own js context
  2. Changing the value on a textbox via jquery/pure js for example doesn't trigger the React onChange event which in turn won't call the function to set the value of the departure airport(QF). Chrome headless may actually simulate a user performing the action so you may not run into this issue.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 8:36 pm

Did OP accepts donate, it's a great tools to let us more deep thinking on awards seats
Old Jul 10, 2018, 9:25 pm

Excellent tools!! I am able to run search however not able to launch the Web UI.

After I input the command "flightplan client", it responds that "C:\\Users\\Steven" doesn't exist.

My user account in windows is "Steven XXXX", guess it was truncated in the script? Do you know how I can fix it? Thanks!
Old Jul 10, 2018, 9:40 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by steven1201
Excellent tools!! I am able to run search however not able to launch the Web UI.

After I input the command "flightplan client", it responds that "C:\\Users\\Steven" doesn't exist.

My user account in windows is "Steven XXXX", guess it was truncated in the script? Do you know how I can fix it? Thanks!
I actually didn't get it to work either. I just command-line ran flightplan server and then manually opened a browser and pointed it to localhost:3000 for the client.

Edit 12/7: sorry both flightplan server and flightplan client need to be run, in two separate powershells.

Last edited by percysmith; Jul 11, 2018 at 10:35 am
Old Jul 10, 2018, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith
I actually didn't get it to work either. I just command-line ran flightplan server and then manually opened a browser and pointed it to localhost:5000 for the client.
I just tried what you mentioned and my chrome just showed a blank page with a line "Cannot GET /".
Old Jul 10, 2018, 9:47 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by steven1201
I just tried what you mentioned and my chrome just showed a blank page with a line "Cannot GET /".
Typo! localhost:3000
Old Jul 10, 2018, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith
Typo! localhost:3000
My port is 5000, but localhost:5000 doesn't work.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 11:01 pm

I tried install it in another Windows machine, seems the installation path and /bin command path is different than my original one.
I also did tried moved entire flightplan folder to another one, but the command cannot works
Old Jul 10, 2018, 11:23 pm
Original Poster

I tried install it in another Windows machine, seems the installation path and /bin command path is different than my original one.
I also did tried moved entire flightplan folder to another one, but the command cannot works
There's two paths that are important: Yarn's bin path, and your flightplan data directory. The yarn bin path is found by typing "yarn bin" on command line, it will tell you what it is. This is the directory Yarn installs global commands, so after installing flightplan, you should see a "flightplan" executable in that directory. The yarn bin path also needs to be in your PATH variable (run "set PATH" on Windows to see what it's set to) in order for command line to find commands installed by yarn. Normally, the Yarn installer does this for you.

The flightplan data directory is just whatever directory you happen to be in when you run flightplan. When running the search command, it will create "data" and "db" directories if they don't already exist. For every other command (parse, client, server, etc...), you must run from this same directory, or the command won't find the data it needs
Did OP accepts donate, it's a great tools to let us more deep thinking on awards seats
I don't, feedback is much appreciated though! I've finished my own award trip planning for this year, so I'm not really sure what areas of the tool need further improvement.

Last edited by jd20; Jul 10, 2018 at 11:34 pm
Old Jul 10, 2018, 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by jd20
I don't, feedback is much appreciated though! I've finished my own award trip planning for this year, so I'm not really sure what areas of the tool need further improvement.
Is it possible to search QF/BA site, so we can deep analyst how much seats did CX released for partners

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.