Search

Checking flight details while on flight

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2017, 6:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: MilesMore
Checking flight details while on flight

Hi

Is there any app for iphone that can be used while on flight, to check details of the flight?

I tried google maps but of course that does not work.

Assumming the flight does not have wifi or data, and even if it did, I don't want to pay for it.

I googled and found this app "flightmap" by Haulis.

but i dont think it works anymore (last update 3 years ago..)

Rob
Old Nov 11, 2017, 8:21 am

What type of details are you looking for? every airline will usually have their own app and will display 'static' info on the flight, e.g. departure/arrival time, your seat etc.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 3:47 pm

Moving over to travel tools.....maybe might get some ideas there since it sounds like you're looking for an app or software to help.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Nexus
Given your requirements of no-data-or-WiFi, this is impossible if you want “live” data, such as the flight’s current location and current ETA.

That leaves ‘static’ data, such as flight schedule, updated to the time you boarded. I use Trip-it. Flight details end up in the app if I forward the itinerary to plans at TripIt.com, or give it access to scan my gmail address. It also works for hotel and car reservations, usually.

Trip-it will keep up with flight delays by the airlines, at least until you go airline mode.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 4:22 pm

Programs: SK Gold, BA Gold
If you're next to the window and all you're after is your position on a map along with altitude and ground speed, a decent GPS app with offline support should do the trick. I'm usually able to get a signal when I'm in a window seat, but only there. It'll take a minute, but works perfectly. I use Galileo Maps on iOS, but they have an Android version too.

If the flight does have wifi, the in-flight portal will usually provide that information for free.

And if you can't get a GPS signal and can't access the internet, there's really no way you can get live data. (I suppose you could listen to the ADS-B data from the plane, but that'll take more than downloading an app.)
Old Nov 11, 2017, 10:34 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by waffle
If you're next to the window and all you're after is your position on a map along with altitude and ground speed, a decent GPS app with offline support should do the trick. I'm usually able to get a signal when I'm in a window seat, but only there. It'll take a minute, but works perfectly. I use Galileo Maps on iOS, but they have an Android version too.
I do the same thing with Google Maps. However, I first have to remember to download the relevant maps for offline use.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 5:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: MilesMore
Thanks all!

Actually, my goal was to basically know where I am flying over at any given time.

I try to always get window seat and many times I find myself looking out of the windows to beautiful landscape, or cities, or whatever, and honestly, I would love to know what am I looking at.

Maybe that galileo maps thing you mention will do the trick?
Old Nov 12, 2017, 6:41 am

Programs: Delta PM
I have to hold my phone against the window or sometimes on the armrest under the window for it to work. It usually takes a minutes to acquire the GPS.

If traveling trans-Pac or Atl, because the routes are so far north, it's best to sit on south side of aircraft.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 8:55 am

Programs: SK Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by JVIA
Maybe that galileo maps thing you mention will do the trick?
It should, although whether or not you can get a GPS signal depends on your phone and its ability to "see" enough GPS satellites from where you're sitting, not any specific app. I like Galileo because it displays altitude and speed as well as position, but in a pinch even Google Maps should do the trick.
JVIA likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 10:11 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by wxman22
I have to hold my phone against the window or sometimes on the armrest under the window for it to work. It usually takes a minutes to acquire the GPS.
It should, although whether or not you can get a GPS signal depends on your phone and its ability to "see" enough GPS satellites from where you're sitting, not any specific app.
I had two LG phones, G2 and G4, that took forever to lock onto a GPS signal. My current Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge locks onto a GPS signal within 30 seconds at the most and often faster, even at 38,000 (at a window seat).

Originally Posted by JVIA
Actually, my goal was to basically know where I am flying over at any given time.

I try to always get window seat and many times I find myself looking out of the windows to beautiful landscape, or cities, or whatever, and honestly, I would love to know what am I looking at.
I like Galileo because it displays altitude and speed as well as position, but in a pinch even Google Maps should do the trick.
I'll have to try Galileo. Currently I use Google Maps to know where I am and GPS Status for altitude and speed information.

There is one more app that I occasionally use, Flyover Country, which is discussed elsewhere in this forum. It is a National Science Foundation funded offline mobile app for geoscience outreach and data discovery.
The app exposes interactive geologic maps from Macrostrat.org, fossil localities from Neotomadb.org and Paleobiodb.org, core sample localities from LacCore.org, Wikipedia articles, offline base maps, and the user’s current GPS determined location, altitude, speed, and heading. The app analyzes a given flight path and caches relevant map data and points of interest (POI), and displays these data during the flight, without in flight wifi. By downloading only the data relevant to a particular flightpath, cache sizes remain reasonable, allowing for a robust experience without an internet connection.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.