Search

Be My Guest - Free Airport “Lounge Life” Sharing Community

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2017, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver // Miles&Smiles Elite // LATAM Pass Black
Be My Guest - Free Airport “Lounge Life” Sharing Community

Hello All

The idea of Be My Guest, is to create a group that connects people travelling all over the world, giving us a chance to network with people who we may never have had contact with, whilst sharing the great benefits of having lounge access whilst travelling - for free!

I know there are several airport/lounge meet up threads on FT, however, I have created a Facebook group to help connect, please check it out and get involved.

https://www.facebook.com/bemyguest2
Attached Images  

Last edited by WorldWideWolfie; Sep 25, 2017 at 2:00 am Reason: Updated URL
Old Sep 24, 2017, 3:06 pm

Programs: UAL 1K, Hawaiian Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Silver
I think this is a great idea. I have access to lounges in Hawaii and when I fly international but up until recently, I didn't have access to domestic lounges but the Priority Pass I got through Chase Sapphire Reserve solved that. I'm more than willing to sponsor a guest/guests when I'm traveling.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by coconuts
I think this is a great idea. I have access to lounges in Hawaii and when I fly international but up until recently, I didn't have access to domestic lounges but the Priority Pass I got through Chase Sapphire Reserve solved that. I'm more than willing to sponsor a guest/guests when I'm traveling.
Great coconuts! The Priority Pass definitely helps when domestic lounges aren't accessible in the US. I had a similar issue when I was One World Sapphire and wanted to access the AA lounge in LAX.

Welcome to the community!
Old Sep 24, 2017, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
I think this is a great idea but am hesitant to join in its current format as a public group.

​​​​​
HMPS likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Duke787
I think this is a great idea but am hesitant to join in its current format as a public group.

​​​​​
Hi Duke

I was in two minds as to whether to make it closed or a public group. I came to the conclusion that as a public group, people from many different backgrounds could get more easily involved.

I’d love your feedback on the pros and cons that you see with both however, as it’s still in its infancy, and would especially love for you and others to get involved.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 2:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I don’t understand. Is this an effort to guest people otherwise ineligible to lounges?
Old Sep 25, 2017, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
I don’t understand. Is this an effort to guest people otherwise ineligible to lounges?
In a nutshell yes. It's an effort to bring people together who otherwise may never have met, to network and share knowledge, whilst those who have access to lounges through their frequent flyer status, or Priority Pass et al. subscriptions share their benefit through guesting.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 7:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Please follow the redirect as we move this thread.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Sep 25, 2017, 8:57 pm

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by WorldWideWolfie
Hi Duke

I was in two minds as to whether to make it closed or a public group. I came to the conclusion that as a public group, people from many different backgrounds could get more easily involved.

I’d love your feedback on the pros and cons that you see with both however, as it’s still in its infancy, and would especially love for you and others to get involved.
I don't like and seldom participate in public groups. Since it's too easy for people to stalk your profiles. I know that having the group closed does not solve all the problems. We have a guesting thread in the BAEC Gold Group (FaceBook) that I ADMIN. It's useful but would never want that to be the major focus of a group. Regarding me personally, my schedule is too variable and arrival times at airports are usually decided last minute. Making guesting quite difficult.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:25 am

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
It's a facebook group which means many people won't join for privacy reasons. Good luck anyway.
WorldWideWolfie likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 7:44 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by megaloman
It's a facebook group which means many people won't join for privacy reasons. Good luck anyway.
I learned this the hard way by joining small business forums on Facebook....the relative lack of anonymity makes Facebook an unattractive platform for things like this...

IME
Old Sep 26, 2017, 7:50 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by Duke787

​​​​​
Yes you are announcing your whereabouts on certain dates !
Old Sep 27, 2017, 9:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

There have been lots of efforts on this front (FT has done it, I think; I built one once, too). IME there are two major challenges:
1) Privacy/creep stuff - Solved by self-selection of people who want to participate
2) Data management - Unless there is a structured format and good management of the data it is a mess. And Facebook is probably the absolute worst platform I can think of for such things.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 9:51 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by sbm12
2) Data management - Unless there is a structured format and good management of the data it is a mess. And Facebook is probably the absolute worst platform I can think of for such things.
Not probably. But IS "the absolute worst platform...."

Not to mention, you have the overall integrity of guesting folks into the lounge. So, one would want to keep a low profile.

IMHO, the intent of lounge guesting is for family, friends, and business associates. It's not really for people you just met via a thread. Is there a difference, I think so. Is it a huge deal, probably not.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 10:42 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by baccarat_king
Not probably. But IS "the absolute worst platform...."

Not to mention, you have the overall integrity of guesting folks into the lounge. So, one would want to keep a low profile.

IMHO, the intent of lounge guesting is for family, friends, and business associates. It's not really for people you just met via a thread. Is there a difference, I think so. Is it a huge deal, probably not.
It can be a big deal if it results in an influx over "regularly" entitled members.
Trust an attorney to sue "you the inviter" and the airline for the misbehaviour of an "invited guest"!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.