Wiki Posts
Search

Introducing wheretocredit.com

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2019, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Victor! We've fixed this on our end. May take a bit for it to show up

Originally Posted by Flying Victor
Earnings for Lufthansa https://www.wheretocredit.com/lufthansa have changed for SQ Krisflyer https://www.singaporeair.com/saar5/p...FOALLevels.pdf as of July 1st (only the booking classes listed below, the rest remains unchanged):

Bad news in economy:
T: 25% -> 10%
H M U: 100% -> 75%

Good news in business/first:
P: 100% -> 125%
C D J: 125% -> 150%
A F: 150% -> 200%
Flying Victor likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 1:30 am
Suspended

When in doubt, wheretocredit seems to report the number of redeemable/award miles (RDM) one can earn when crediting a flight to a particular program. Back when wheretocredit started in 2015, most programs granted the same number of RDM and status/elite-qualifying miles (EQM) in most scenarios.

That has changed. Now, it seems there is a difference between RDM and EQM earned not in a small fraction of cases but in a large fraction of cases.

On internet forums such as FT or VFT and in blogs, people often reference wheretocredit when the primary interest is in EQM. But wheretocredit doesn't provide the answer to that question. In fact, on VFT, I have read the claim that wheretocredit is "wrong" a few times (because people don't understand that wheretocredit reports RDM).

This post shall serve a few purposes. One, to inform the developer that wheretocredit results are sometimes misinterpreted. Two, I would like to request a feature: Make wheretocredit display both EQM as well as RDM: In many, if not most cases EQM is just as important for the crediting decision. Three, I'd like to see a discussion on the issue I brought up. Perhaps some view it differently.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by speed.skater
When in doubt, wheretocredit seems to report the number of redeemable/award miles (RDM) one can earn when crediting a flight to a particular program. Back when wheretocredit started in 2015, most programs granted the same number of RDM and status/elite-qualifying miles (EQM) in most scenarios.
<snip>
That is a very USA centric view. USA based (and some other) frequent flyer programs unfortunately often use the word “miles” as a measure of status earning. Non USA based frequent flyer programs often/usually use a different word/phrase like tier points, status credits, qpoints, Experience Points or another word/phrase for status measurement. That lessens the confusion between status and redeemable frequent flyer miles.
So 1 status earning unit = 1 redeemable ff mile was never the way it was for many ffps. With some being revenue based ffp's is now even harder to determine redeemable ff miles/avios/points or status earning
Old Sep 15, 2019, 4:45 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note: Topic Drift

Folks,

This is the Travel Tools forum, the place to discuss "tools, services, apps and software used to optimize the travel experience."

While some natural deviation from the subject areas of the forum and the topic of the thread is perfectly fine, please keep the focus of the discussion on travel tools and specifically wheretocredit.com.

If you wish to discuss the how qualifying for status may be different than earning redeemable points in various loyalty or frequent flyer programs, may I suggest that you start a new thread in TravelBuzz.

Future messages discussing matters other than wheretocredit.com or travel tools in general will be summarily deleted without further warning. Repeat violators may be subject to discipline as described in FT Rule 23.

Thank you for understanding,

TWA884
Travel Tools moderator
Old Sep 16, 2019, 1:38 am
Suspended

IAkH One further clarification on my suggestion. wheretocredit is really very minimal in its interface. There is no help or FAQ or anything. The table description doesn't really provide many clues, either. That may contribute to the fact that people sometimes don't understand what type of earning the tools reports (earning towards elite status or earning of redeemable miles).

So I think the clarity of the website could be improved. That might also reduce the number of false update reports (where people report an error because they're thinking in terms of the wrong concept).
Old Sep 16, 2019, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by speed.skater
IAkH One further clarification on my suggestion. wheretocredit is really very minimal in its interface. There is no help or FAQ or anything. The table description doesn't really provide many clues, either. That may contribute to the fact that people sometimes don't understand what type of earning the tools reports (earning towards elite status or earning of redeemable miles).

So I think the clarity of the website could be improved. That might also reduce the number of false update reports (where people report an error because they're thinking in terms of the wrong concept).
From https://www.wheretocredit.com/api/docs
Introduction

The Where to Credit API provides mileage earning calculations for frequent flyer programs around the world.

The API accepts a combination of flights and booking classes and, using our rules engine, returns the number of miles earned for each frequent flyer program in JSON format.
IMHO having status earning would be far too hard. Some have several methods of earning status. Various ffp use different words for status.

The website wheretocredit does a good job for redeemable ff miles/points/avios. It is guide only, as freq flyer earning is becoming more complicated.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 2:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Thanks for this link.

Actually, I am a software developer (not full-time) and I didn't think of clicking on API (as I had no interest in wheretocredit's API). I think it somewhat reinforces my point: The website isn't really intuitive and user-friendly. Which user thinks of clicking on "API" to learn the basics of the (client-side) functionality of a website?

Anyways, I've made my suggestions. I do like the project. Thanks to the developer for continuing to take incorporate many program-side updates.

Last edited by speed.skater; Sep 16, 2019 at 2:44 pm
Old Sep 16, 2019, 8:30 pm
Original Poster

speedskater Thank you so much for this write up. I am in complete agreeance. We have much of the EQM data (more than when we started with RDM) but sadly have been struggling to find a good way to represent both. As you've noted, the charts are already not very intuitive and my fear is if we add additional data, it would make the website even more confusing. I'm open to ideas, both from you and from the community. Thank you again for bringing this up

Mwenenzi We're avid travelers and understand the FF community is not only for the US. We've hopefully added the appropriate "unit of measure" for each program and should be displaying that instead of a blanket "mile" for everything. Please let me know if you see the wrong units anywhere
Old Jan 24, 2021, 5:13 am

does anyone manage to use wheretocredit api
I have excel whit all my future flights and I want to develop VBA function to get count of miles which I can have on booking....
but api doc on wheretocredit is very poor and I don't have clue what to do
I think what for 12 api request/sec I don't need api key....
but any idea how to get miles for routing like this:
https://www.wheretocredit.com/calcul...K/SFO-SYD-UA-K

I can just make app to get this page and extract data from response but this is hard way to get data
Old Feb 7, 2021, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Garimi
does anyone manage to use wheretocredit api
I have excel whit all my future flights and I want to develop VBA function to get count of miles which I can have on booking....
but api doc on wheretocredit is very poor and I don't have clue what to do
I think what for 12 api request/sec I don't need api key....
but any idea how to get miles for routing like this:
https://www.wheretocredit.com/calcul...K/SFO-SYD-UA-K

I can just make app to get this page and extract data from response but this is hard way to get data
Hi, thanks for taking an interest. Please check out https://www.wheretocredit.com/api/docs for API documentation. We also provide a swagger/OpenAPI spec if that's easier to understand

For your particular routing, you're looking for:
  • Select API version: V2
  • /api/2.0/calculate
  • "Try it out"
  • Paste the following into the body:
    [{
    "segments": [{
    "origin": "LHR",
    "destination": "SFO",
    "carrier": "UA",
    "bookingClass": "K",
    "isValid": "K"
    }, {
    "origin": "SFO",
    "destination": "SYD",
    "carrier": "UA",
    "bookingClass": "K",
    "isValid": "K"
    }]}]
  • Then click Execute

Hope this helps

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.