Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Tools
Reload this Page >

Hotel Hustle: The Hotel Award Search Tool [down until further notice]

Hotel Hustle: The Hotel Award Search Tool [down until further notice]

Old Jan 26, 2015, 1:58 pm
  #16  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: PSM
Posts: 69,232
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
This put a big smile on my face:

Well, that's a fail, kale with a picture of a robust kale below.

I was checking to see if any hotels were available during a major trade show, so actually would have been surprised to find any availability.
Good news that the error message is fun.

Bad news is that I don't think zero inventory should generate that message. Care to PM me the search parameters so I can check it out??

Also, FWIW, I've recently joined the 1990s and discovered parallel task execution in programming so searches should be running MUCH faster now. Like an average of 15-30 seconds down from 75-90.
sbm12 is offline  
Old Feb 19, 2015, 4:27 am
  #17  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: PSM
Posts: 69,232
Originally Posted by sbm12
I need to adjust the ZIP bit to allow lookup by name; that's on the roadmap.
This is now working MUCH better. I've added city name-based lookup for ~30k US cities (anything with a ZIP code) and ~1000 international destinations. It also means that when searching based on city the distance zoom uses the downtown location rather than the airport which makes a big difference in many places. The example I showed in my blog post about it is Hong Kong where the city center search completely changes the results for <10 miles filtering. In a very favorable way.





Click on the images to read more details about how this all works.
sbm12 is offline  
Old Mar 10, 2015, 2:22 am
  #18  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 17
Cool tool, but alerts seem to be off. Take a look at

http://www.dropbox.com/s/bz09ozrednt...22.00.png?dl=0

Saw alerts for the bottom-most result, but not for any others.
retsamhgiht is offline  
Old Mar 10, 2015, 6:19 am
  #19  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: PSM
Posts: 69,232
Originally Posted by retsamhgiht
Cool tool, but alerts seem to be off. Take a look at

http://www.dropbox.com/s/bz09ozrednt...22.00.png?dl=0

Saw alerts for the bottom-most result, but not for any others.


That's search results, not alert results. Feel free to PM me more details like your username on the site or what alerts you think are not working. I get a handful of test alerts every few hours so I know the system is processing searches for alerts.
sbm12 is offline  
Old Mar 20, 2015, 11:15 am
  #20  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: PSM
Posts: 69,232
Added the ability to save as a preference that you carry the Club Carlson Credit Card to take advantage of the last night free award benefit. Simply toggle the button on your settings page:


And it will return results with the new values calculated:


This is self-reported so if you toggle it on and don't actually have the card then don't come complaining to me when you get charged the full price for the award stay.

Let me know if you have any issues.

n.b. The link above is to my blog or to one which I am a regular contributor. FT rules require that I disclose that in the post.
sbm12 is offline  
Old Mar 20, 2015, 12:57 pm
  #21  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,785
Seth
Are the new Marriott categories loaded yet, to reflect the (mostly) higher points?
I read elsewhere that it hasn't updated
jerryhung is offline  
Old Mar 20, 2015, 3:26 pm
  #22  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: PSM
Posts: 69,232
Originally Posted by jerryhung
Seth
Are the new Marriott categories loaded yet, to reflect the (mostly) higher points?
I read elsewhere that it hasn't updated
I don't use the categories as dictated by Marriott to define the point numbers displayed. Each search runs a live query and returns the results based on requirements if a reservation were to be made at that time. So if Marriott says a property is 20,000 points right now that's what you'll see in the search results. If Marriott says it is 25,000 tomorrow then that's what you'll see then.

If you happen to recall where you saw that it isn't up to date I'd appreciate a link so I can see what's going on there and update that source as well as appropriate.
sbm12 is offline  
Old Mar 20, 2015, 9:00 pm
  #23  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,785
Originally Posted by sbm12
I don't use the categories as dictated by Marriott to define the point numbers displayed. Each search runs a live query and returns the results based on requirements if a reservation were to be made at that time. So if Marriott says a property is 20,000 points right now that's what you'll see in the search results. If Marriott says it is 25,000 tomorrow then that's what you'll see then.

If you happen to recall where you saw that it isn't up to date I'd appreciate a link so I can see what's going on there and update that source as well as appropriate.
That's certainly a better design (although more work per query I guess), thanks Seth

I did a quick search on SEA area hotel, all seems good, and Marriott hasn't updated the new categories either, strange...
jerryhung is offline  
Old Mar 21, 2015, 3:27 pm
  #24  
Community Director Emerita
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Anywhere warm
Posts: 33,807
Seth, should I be able to use airport codes or do I need to spell out the town name? When I input PPT I get nothing. When I put in Papeete, it pulls up PPT.

The search is showing the Interconti on Moorea but not the Hilton. The Hilton is available for points redemptions on the Hilton website.

When I search for properties on Bora Bora, it pulls them up and also adds properties in Maryland.
SanDiego1K is offline  
Old Mar 21, 2015, 4:04 pm
  #25  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: PSM
Posts: 69,232
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Seth, should I be able to use airport codes or do I need to spell out the town name? When I input PPT I get nothing. When I put in Papeete, it pulls up PPT.
Right now if you just type in the airport code I think it balks. If you type PPT then the airport should show from the picklist and you can choose that. I'll see about getting it to work with just the airport code again.

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
The search is showing the Interconti on Moorea but not the Hilton. The Hilton is available for points redemptions on the Hilton website.
I need to look into this a bit more. Probably just an issue with getting the search term correct.

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
When I search for properties on Bora Bora, it pulls them up and also adds properties in Maryland.
The Bora Bora thing is just the Club Carlson site being "helpful" and fixing your "typo" in the search. I'll filter that out.

ETA: All of the above issues are resolved now.

Last edited by sbm12; Mar 21, 2015 at 6:33 pm
sbm12 is offline  
Old Mar 26, 2015, 7:59 pm
  #26  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: PSM
Posts: 69,232
Did you notice that Hilton revamped its website? Me neither until today.

All should be working properly again now.
sbm12 is offline  
Old Mar 26, 2015, 8:24 pm
  #27  
Community Director Emerita
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Anywhere warm
Posts: 33,807
Thanks to Hotel Hustle, yesterday I found a Hampton Inn for just $35 + 4000 points in Bakersfield. I can't remember the last time I spent so little for a Hilton stay. 10 years ago? Thanks, Seth.
SanDiego1K is offline  
Old Mar 26, 2015, 8:47 pm
  #28  
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 26,569
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Thanks to Hotel Hustle, yesterday I found a Hampton Inn for just $35 + 4000 points in Bakersfield. I can't remember the last time I spent so little for a Hilton stay. 10 years ago? Thanks, Seth.
Finally, a reason to smile today. Thanks.
obscure2k is offline  
Old Jul 7, 2015, 11:46 pm
  #29  
Community Director Emerita
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Anywhere warm
Posts: 33,807
I just searched for a hotel in Skopje, Macedonia. Results included Country Inn & Suites in Prospect Heights Il.

The Belgrade Hyatt is not showing up on a search of hotels in Belgrade. I checked on the Hyatt website and found the hotel available on the night that Hotel Hustle did not show it.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Jul 8, 2015 at 12:18 am
SanDiego1K is offline  
Old Jul 8, 2015, 10:00 am
  #30  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: PSM
Posts: 69,232
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I just searched for a hotel in Skopje, Macedonia. Results included Country Inn & Suites in Prospect Heights Il.
I thought I had the distance filter working to exclude those far-flung errors. I'll take a look.
ETA: I see that I'm just filtering it off the map, not the pick list, too. Oops. That should be an easy fix.

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
The Belgrade Hyatt is not showing up on a search of hotels in Belgrade. I checked on the Hyatt website and found the hotel available on the night that Hotel Hustle did not show it.
I'll look into this as well.

Last edited by sbm12; Jul 8, 2015 at 10:07 am
sbm12 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.