Mileage Consultants

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mileage Consultants

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2011, 7:55 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Gets interesting booking into the middle of europe. Sometimes requires booking two legs independently. Sometimes it helps to run proforma searches with an engine, like kayak, to see what it cobbles together and then then look into the award availability of the segments. Just takes some time and creativity - not always a straighforward process.

Originally Posted by gj83
Here's another service from FTers
http://upgrd.com/award/

Honestly, I'm thinking about hiring someone to book my trip to Prague if I can't find availability in basic searches.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by gj83
Here's another service from FTers
http://upgrd.com/award/

I haven't used any of these, but I've met Mike from Upgrd. I also have a lot of respect for Gary.

The key is to know what you want and any of them should be willing to help. The fee can definitely be worth it if you can only find trips at the standard rate and they can get you an itinerary at the saver rate. They have access to all the same tools you do, but if you don't know how to search for fare classes on routings it may take you more time or miles.

Honestly, I'm thinking about hiring someone to book my trip to Prague if I can't find availability in basic searches.

well in here I have found--or I used to find--that if you do good by others they will do good by you.

1) get to know people. post valuable stuff and cool ideas/tips/workable things and they will begin to dig ya.

2) people will help you book that Prague trip but then in return you will one day help some poor soul book that Bali trip who in turn helps someone book a Mexico trip who in turn helps someone else... it's a bit like the backpacker's code.

3) consider that if you have say 25k in 4 accts that you might want to piece together airlines who fly from A-B-C and then, once you know who those airlines are and what mileage you need on them, you have something to work with. An example could be:

I have 25k US miles and 25k DL miles but I need 50k AA to fly here...
Now... the juicy part: You got this friend or co-worker who happens to HAVE 50k AA miles and could later USE your DL or US to fly someplace. Or maybe they want something else for the help. Who knows.

There are ways and means for creatively and proactively discovering such people, such needs and such solutions. And, the more you post in FT, the more you will realize them.

4) earn more miles. And hotel points. And SPG points because those hotel points can transfer nicely into more miles. Do this by buying coins if you can. Also do this by signing up for the CCs right now that have boni. Buying power is bargaining power. More miles means more options. You may use them all or you may find you never use some of those original 100k.

My friend has a need to fly to SAN this coming Sept with his family of 4. They too have like 100k miles spread around--I think 3 accts of US Air miles. Nothing is available at all at any surrounding airport for him during any combination of dates for 25k pp US. BUT there is availability on other airlines. I have told him of hooking up with people in his world--and in here--who may be interested in booking awards for each other. I may help him if I can but I know I'll have no need for a 25k US award for years so it will be a loss for a while.

These are just things to consider.
if you have time...
time & pressure.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, DL, UA, US
Originally Posted by Exiled in Express
I am most others here are willing to help you out, gratis. You have a simple Hawaii roundtrip redemption with flexibility in dates and destinations. It isn't like you are trying to get 12 first class seats to Tahiti during a lunar eclipse .

What is the timeframe of travel? This summer, fall, spring 2012?
Are you booking just yourself or 2 people from Hawaii? Coach or First?
Finally what is in the arsenal? How many of each program's miles?
OK, I’m back. Sorry for the delay but we wanted to make sure of what we wanted to do. First, much mahalo to everyone for your input. You guys are great! I’ve spent thousands of hours searching out rental properties in Hawaii and if you ever need some ideas, give me a holler.

First, we want to go the CLT. Depart HNL on 18, 19 or 20 Feb 2012. We’re going to drive with a friend to Fort Lauderdale.
All flights coach. Business or FC better than no flight at all.
We will also return to HNL for CLT. Depart on 12 or 13 Mar. 13th preferred.
OK, now the miles.
US Air 199,869
DL 302,107
United 35,361
Continental 26,453
Other considerations. Want to go from HNL to either Bali or New Zealand in 2013. By then United and Continental should be merged. So which point are best preserved for that trip? 2014 is Russian or Greece.
US Air hub is CLT so I would think that should be our first choice?
When is the first day I can try to book? Which airline first? Can I book the return trip at the time? BTW, if I botch this up, my GF and ex wife will kill me!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.