Alliance redemption chart/tool?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2011, 2:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ckpeter
sbm12, this is a great tool!
Glad you like it!

In what capacity are you working with the GoMiles? Would you consider posting a separate threads on the TravelBuzz forum, just like Airline Route Mapper or OpenFlights?
I am a contractor on a long-term contract. Let's just say I'm part of the team.

As someone who has, several times, looked into the feasibility of mileage comparison, I see lots of potentials on this. I would really suggest you set up a separate thread (or have someone from GoMiles do it) for dedicated discussion.
I appreciate the suggestion and will likely do so.

That's a very noble goal, but I would caution on the efforts expanded. Given how, occasionally, some of the airlines themselves can't even price their own redemption right, you may be looking into a lot of edge cases.
I know. It isn't easy.

For example, we see plenty of newbies asking "I am relocating to HKG, should I join CX or stay with BA." If you tool can take a generic route (e.g. LHR-HKG) and advise someone on the mileage amounts for typical FFP, it could be very useful.
This is something else we are working on. Not going to be part of the immediate future releases but it is on the road map.

P.S. Not sure how far you have gone from a mock-up or in what capacity you are working with GM, but PM me, if you want someone to walk through some scenarios and edge cases. I would be glad to help.
Much appreciated.
Originally Posted by MyTravels
Careful what you wish for on FT, as there's no shortage of opinions here, so feel free to ignore as necessary
I meant it when I said I was looking for feedback. Doesn't mean that we can or will implement all the suggestions, but knowing what users are actually looking for often results in a better product in the long run. :-:

As most FF programs are by country (some exceptions like LA & BA multi-partner, etc) it would be great if users could click on the regions/countries on a map, similar to how Hyatt or Four Seasons does it (probably just to the country level not the airport/city level)
Very interesting idea. That would require a few tweaks to how we're putting the UI together right now but since we are still early on it might be feasible. That said, I can name a number of exceptional country/program combinations where just being in the correct country doesn't guarantee the same rate, even without getting partners involved. India, China, Australia and the USA all exist as multiple regions in one or more award program.

As previously observed, there are a lot of edge cases/exceptions to the norm.

That allows me to search USA to China. Once I know a country that I have enough miles for then the next step would be to include city pairs (hopefully like Kayak where I can add multiple cities - where I can fly into PKE, PVG, etc).
We are definitely not building an award search engine akin to AwardNexus, ExpertFlyer or any other similar tool. I know that it would be great to have that completely integrated but we're frying different fish right now. Still, I like the regional idea and I'll talk with the guys about it.

Last edited by sbm12; Jan 12, 2011 at 3:06 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.