Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Tools
Reload this Page >

ANY REASONABLE SUBSTITUTE FOR TRIPIT (iOS)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2010, 10:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K >2MM, IC Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold

I've been patiently using Tripit Pro on my iPhone for almost three years (and on my iPad since it was new). Tripit had some serious bugs early on, but they listened and quashed them over time. One of the biggest for example was the application wiping all the input data when it tried to update without a data connection being available. (This was a big problem for me when I arrived in Tokyo and discovered all my trip confirms and notes were lost on arrival to Tokyo).

I've even paid the price ($50/year) as I felt the app was becoming robust enough for the price.

However Tripit has revealed its shortcomings with recent disrupted travel in my schedule. Sitting at O'Hare waiting for a delayed flight, I was sent dozens of "gate change" messages even when no gate change was occurring. And on a delayed flight to GVA via IAD with an equipment change in Chicago, the app couldn't find an alternative routing that might be available to GVA, with the only options displayed being alternative routings to IAD! This was supposed to be a feature of the program, but instead it doesn't function this way at all.

Anyone had any luck with anything else? I like the idea of having my confirmations and other information stored in one location, which is possible by just using the Apple iCal program. The features I thought I was paying for with Tripit are what I'm looking for.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 4:39 am

Programs: LH au VS au BMI au
Just occasionally I get a bit ranty. Dont be offended - its not at you personnaly, its just your post came up on the day in the year when I have the time AND inclination.

I remember a time before tripit. I remember a time before tomtom personal satnav, let alone satnav on a smartfone. Dark days indeed. No etickets, running round the globe doing TOD's (if you have to ask) was the hieght of air/road warrior'ing. I love tripit - i love the ease with which it arranges my flights, I loved it for years just as a web tool as I used a Nokia phone, so no smartfone app. It made sense of the 30-40 flight, multiple hotels, cars, trains and like. Worldmate has only recently come close to that level of sophistication and it could not handle a virgin atlantic confirmation with 2 names on it. So, I have evaluated them and the truth is there is no app available to replace experience, intuition and premier access to the call centers. ical, as with outlook can never handle time zones with the same aplomb, or changes - for that reason alone tripit commands my heart. However I will provide some of my experiences and knowledge.

If you want to know what you can do, right now, from the airport use ITA - its free - thank google

http://www.itasoftware.com/products/...n-the-fly.html

and if your trip is vital and you recognise the value of human intelignece and escilation then you need cranky (http://www.crankyconcierge.com/)
Old Dec 29, 2010, 9:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors
Originally Posted by jimmc66
....Anyone had any luck with anything else? I like the idea of having my confirmations and other information stored in one location, which is possible by just using the Apple iCal program. The features I thought I was paying for with Tripit are what I'm looking for.
I've used Worldmate since the days of Palm smartphones. I now use it on my IPhone. Like it very much, and have never had the problems you describe with Tripit.

http://www.worldmate.com/
Old Jan 1, 2011, 11:02 pm

I've been happy with the combination of the Tripit service with FlightTrack Pro. I use the flight push notifications from FlightTrack Pro, but my itineraries are pulled from Tripit.

*EDIT* One important note... The free Tripit service is sufficient for this setup. You don't need to subscribe to Tripit Pro.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Tripit Pro completely chokes on delays and cancellations. It's proven itself worthless with all the chaos this winter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.