Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Points Guy

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2010, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

The Points Guy

Just read about him on Jaunted - http://www.thepointsguy.com/index.html, Im assuming he is definitely a FT member, what do others think of his "service"?
Old May 30, 2010, 10:09 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Please follow the thread as it moves to MilesBuzz as it appears more mileage related than travel related. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old May 30, 2010, 10:49 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
I also take 5,000 American Express Membership Rewards points as a form of payment (per $50 in service)

I can't imagine that being allowed as per the Amex MR T&C. lol
Old May 30, 2010, 11:54 pm

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
Any FT member who knows anything is a POINTS GUY.

Nothing to see here folks, move along.
Old May 31, 2010, 12:17 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, Marriott
If you don't have the time to do your own bookings, or have extremely complex bookings, I would imagine such a service would be beneficial.

I don't know the link offhand, but someone had compared milemanager vs another award search engine vs one of the award booking agencies (such as the service you mention), and the service came out ahead almost every time.

Booking complex award itineraries can take hours on the phone over the course of multiple days in order to see success. For my recent booking from US to EU/Asia, I probably spent 5 hours on the phone with various airlines checking availability and making reservations (and that's for a total of 3 tickets, if it were for multiple people, on an even more complex, longer itinerary, I don't know that I could've done it without help.

If you do have the time, the interest, the miles, and the motivation, then ft is really all you need, post the right questions here, do your research, and you don't need to pay anyone else.

If you are someone with millions of unused miles gathering dust and want to burn through them quickly and easily without any effort, an award booking service may be right up your alley.
Old May 31, 2010, 12:35 am

Programs: AA Plat, CO Plat, DL Plat, FB Plat, UA 1P, VA Plat, VS Silver, SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE
A post from the other day by our very own gleff
Old May 31, 2010, 1:01 am

Programs: DL PM, UA *S, SPG/MR Gold, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, pleb in all the rest
I have no problem with what this guy is doing. Many people, especially those who rack up points from CCs alone, don't have time to understand the nuances of each FFP/codeshare agreement/fare buckets and whatnot. If it's easier for them to pay some guy 50 bucks to sort it out, power to them.
Old May 31, 2010, 1:06 am

Programs: Skywards Silver, Goldpoints Silver, CC Gold, Hilton Gold, Le-Club Platin
his service is like taking the fun out of planing a trip...
But on the other hand, if you really dont have time for this or hate planing/booking a trip this could be very useful.
Only the payment via Amex Bonus Points doesnt look so serious...
Old Jun 1, 2010, 9:16 am
Original Poster

I agree his service is useful, many of us sometimes forget that we only make up a minuscule amount of the population and that most "normal" people do not know the first think about booking a reward ticket.

I'm by no means an expert but I know much more than many of my friends and family.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 9:43 pm

Programs: Frontier Ascent, Marriot Silver Elite
I think its a pretty cool service. Before I found FT I was, and really still am unsure of the most efficient ways to put my miles and points to work for me.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 10:01 am

Programs: DL DM
Sure, why not...

How many of us have had friends say -
"You spend so much time on this stuff, why don't you start a business?"

This guy did. Why not make a few bucks on his obsession...
^
Old Jun 2, 2010, 11:32 am

Programs: big pimpin'
Originally Posted by broadwayblue
I also take 5,000 American Express Membership Rewards points as a form of payment (per $50 in service)
5k AMEX MR>>$50.

{Off topic commentary redacted by moderator}

Last edited by Moderator2; Jun 3, 2010 at 11:08 am
Old Jun 2, 2010, 7:32 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
Wow, don't know how I missed this thread. This is actually my little side venture, which has been a lot of fun. As many have pointed out, this service is not aimed at your savvy FlyerTalker who enjoys booking complex awards. It's much more targeted at the business traveler who doesn't have time to figure it all out, but still wants to leverage the value of their points.

The initial response has been overwhelming and the testimonials on my site are all real feedback from clients. So many people face roadblocks when trying to book awards, so I offer a service that helps them realize their travel dreams (at a relatively cheap price).

I always appreciate feedback so feel free to PM. Even you big pimpin'

Last edited by thepointsguy; Jun 2, 2010 at 7:37 pm
Old Jun 2, 2010, 9:39 pm

Programs: Frontier Ascent, Marriot Silver Elite
Originally Posted by pitbrian
Wow, don't know how I missed this thread. This is actually my little side venture, which has been a lot of fun. As many have pointed out, this service is not aimed at your savvy FlyerTalker who enjoys booking complex awards. It's much more targeted at the business traveler who doesn't have time to figure it all out, but still wants to leverage the value of their points.

The initial response has been overwhelming and the testimonials on my site are all real feedback from clients. So many people face roadblocks when trying to book awards, so I offer a service that helps them realize their travel dreams (at a relatively cheap price).

I always appreciate feedback so feel free to PM. Even you big pimpin'
Good for you, I figured it had to be someone who frequents this board.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
With the addition of The Points Guy it appears there are at least (4) Flyertalkers offering a paid award booking service.

We may have to start offering award booking certification programs!

* How many segments are permitted on an Aeroplan award?
* What North American gateways are permissable for American Airlines redemption on British Airways to London?
* What program should you transfer SPG points to for business class redemption East Coast to London? Coach East Coast to Israel?
* What gateways give you the best chance of finding four premium class seats transatlantic during the summer?

As some examples

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.