Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Huge cell phone charges

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2009, 2:44 pm

Programs: US Chairman
Originally Posted by gj83
Don't forget kids who use cell phones as alarm clocks and get 100 texts at international rates every night.
Using your iPhone as an alarm clock incurs international roaming charges? Is this true?

Lydia
Old Jul 28, 2009, 3:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by lydia
Using your iPhone as an alarm clock incurs international roaming charges? Is this true?

Lydia
No. But if the phone is on and a bunch of texts arrive you'd be charged for receiving those texts.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by lydia

Lydia
If the phone is on and the SIM card is in and you receive texts you will be charged.

I just take out my SIM card when I'm in another country. My phone likes to slip from Wifi to data every so often and I don't need voice or data for any reason while anywhere but the US and Canada.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
It's pretty simple - most of these overcharges that hit the media are for data service where the subscriber pays a fee based on usage, i.e. KB or MB downloaded - the rates charged for such services when roaming internationally are quite high.

It's also pretty easy to "protect yourself" -

Subscribe to an unlimited plan before you jet away. In my case we have an ATT corporate plan that provides unlimited worldwide data service, i.e. blackberry, google, wifi, WSJ, whatever for a rather reasonable fixed monthly fee.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 4:08 pm

Google voice does not allow international call forwarding though.

Originally Posted by Tummy
You can also switch to use something like Google Voice / GrandCentral and just put in your local SIM number to ring. That way people dial the same number as usual, but will get you at your new local temp number. You can also make rules that allow only "important" calls to be put through. This is assuming you gave your contacts your Google Voice number instead of your actual cell number.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 4:57 pm

Programs: Eurobonus
The text "thing" seems to be the big issue, as you cannot control it yourself! You are able to activate the voicemail so no calls leaves the country, but not with text!

That might be the case for people originating from the US, as people from other countries don't get charged by recieving texts, even when "we" are going overseas, and that includes USA!

Don't know why, but most likely it has to do with the way your provider handels the charge of calls and text in your home country!

But as always, the reason to huge bills, is lack of information! Blame it on your provider, or blame it on your self! I cannot tell...

Your provider didn't tell you how much it cost, and you didn't care to check! A good "thumb-rule" is, look at the country you are visiting, the more "poor" the country is, the higher is the roaming charges going to be... With some exceptions of course!

When I get to a new country, my home provider sends me a free text with roaming prices for the country I am visiting! So easy and simple can it be...
Old Jul 28, 2009, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the information. It sounds like there is infinite opportunity for huge charges.

I have an international cell phone (Mobal) with a UK number that rings wherever I am. I think I'm safe because I don't have a "data plan", don't use it for email or other internet stuff, and only turn it on 15 minutes a day to check for voice or text messages, or to make calls of no more than five minutes. (If I need to make a call of any length, I do it via a public land line with a prepaid international phone card.) I occasionally leave it on for longer periods, maybe an hour or two, if I'm actually expecting a call, but I don't do anything with it but let it sit there. So is there any way I could end up with a huge bill?

(Actually I can receive brief emails as text messages on the phone at an email address Mobal assigns it, but I assume that isn't really like accessing the internet to read email.)
Old Jul 28, 2009, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by Rukor
The text "thing" seems to be the big issue, as you cannot control it yourself! You are able to activate the voicemail so no calls leaves the country, but not with text!
I don't know about overseas carriers, but some US carriers (I know Verizon Wireless does) can put a block on incoming text messages for free if you call them.

Obviously, they cannot control outgoing texts from your handset, but it will keep you from waking up to a big surprise for the uncontrollable part.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 7:54 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
I usually leave my phone in AIRPLANE mode when abroad, but with WIFI on. The other thing I do, if I want to receive texts, is suspend VoiceMail, don't answer calls and texts come through at a flat rate, NOT a data rate.

The killer with AT&T is the 2x per minute charge for VoiceMail alert. so, if you don't answer the phone, let it got to VM, then you get an alert that says you have a VM, and you get billed 2x the per minute rate in country.

IF I leave my VM on, the first thing I do BEFORE turning the phone OFF AIRPLANE mode, is connect to WIFI, use SKYPE or FRING to check my VM, delete all VM's that have come in after listening to them, THEN turn the phone on and you won't be charged.

But, for the most part, I just leave the phone in APM, and use WIFI to get an do everything.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 8:11 pm

Does Skype work well on a cruise ship in connecting through an internet connection while at sea?
Old Jul 28, 2009, 8:16 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
It all depends on how much latency your connection has. The good thing, is that the iphone skype app requires VERY LITTLE bandwidth for a good connection, a solid 125kps will give good enough up and downstream bandwidth for full duplex sound quality. More is better, but I have used it over a gprs connection, and that is about the max gprs offers.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 8:50 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Internet WIFI on board ships is $3 a minute or more (the $3 assumes you prepay a couple hours on the first day when you get the bonus minutes).

It can be a horribly show connection, you are probably better off not trying to voip on it.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 11:20 pm

Programs: Virgin, United, Qantas
Originally Posted by Rukor

Your provider didn't tell you how much it cost, and you didn't care to check! A good "thumb-rule" is, look at the country you are visiting, the more "poor" the country is, the higher is the roaming charges going to be... With some exceptions of course!
My friend had that problem - took his iPhone from the UK to the US for a week and got hit with $2000 roaming charges. Got to watch travelling to those poor countries
Old Jul 28, 2009, 11:37 pm

Programs: DL Gold Medallion, AA
If you're even near a cruise ship, your phone can pick up their signal and you get charged $$$.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 12:03 am

Note: all information is for at&t

While the statement is true that shouldn't be a huge issue if it is just sms.

With at&t there is no extra cost to receive text messages anywhere in the world, if you have a texting plan it just comes out of that. However, if you want to send a text message it will cost you $0.50.

Voice:
As others have mentioned phone calls range from about $1-$4/minutes. Another poster mentioned that some carriers chargers as much as $13/minute. I have never heard of that and would love to know which carrier chargers that rate. Even if you don't answer your phone you will be charger for 1 minute if the phone rings.

If you plan on making a few calls at&t has an option to get a discounted rate for about $5 a month. The discount might only be $0.25 per minute. Some countries don't even get a discounted rate so check first at: http://www.wireless.att.com/travelgu...PIDL=IRSD|IRWT

The best solution to this problem is to set your call forwarding to go straight to voicemail. You can usually do this from your phone or you can call customer service and ask them to do it. If you have at&t and already left the country you can call them for free from your phone at +1-916-843-4685.

Data:
If you have a BlackBerry you can switch to an unlimited data plan for $65 a month. This will replace your BES plan at $45 or personal plan at $30. This is an outstanding deal. It is great to be able to use google maps to find your way around and keep in touch via email. Depending on how your plan is set up you may need to subscribe to it for one year. I don't and can ad it and take it off mid month so I only pay for the days I am out of the country.

The same plan isn't sold for the iPhone. With the iPhone you'll need to buy an int'l data ad on pack. There are no unlimited plans and the charge is on top of your domestic data plan. So you need to be careful to watch your usage. You can put on or take off a global data add on at any time:
* $24.99/month: 20 MB Data Global Add-On gives you 20 MB of usage within over 90 countries
* $59.99/month: 50 MB Data Global Add-On gives you 50 MB of usage within over 90 countries
* $119.99/month: 100 MB Data Global Add-On gives you 100 MB of usage within over 90 countries
* $199.99/month: 200 MB Data Global Add-On gives you 200 MB of usage within over 90 countries

Keep in mind if you have an iPhone or wi-fi equipped BlackBerry you can use hotspots with out being charged by at&t. With the iPhone you can make calls for a few cents a minute at a hotspot using skype. Just make sure to turn off your GSM antenna to avoid crazy chargers.

General account management:
If you are really worried about being charged by mistake, you can ask at&t to turn off int'l services. Keep in mind if you do this you won't be able to call home in an emergency but should be able to call 911 or its local equivalent.

Originally Posted by sbm12
No. But if the phone is on and a bunch of texts arrive you'd be charged for receiving those texts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.