Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

How to access facebook & youtube in China...?

How to access facebook & youtube in China...?

Old Jun 7, 2012, 10:51 am
  #31  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 15
+1 on the VPN if you have a work laptop.
derricklui is offline  
Old Jun 7, 2012, 8:45 pm
  #32  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: I 35 south bound, finally stopped
Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Posts: 1,667
VPN

Originally Posted by derricklui
+1 on the VPN if you have a work laptop.
As I write I am on a hotel wifi and a VPN service called vyperVPN using pptp. I have used this for the past week. There are a lot of free methods, and my usual goto VPN service, witopia, is blocked, even though they sent me "good" IP addresses. This one works great for me at $10 a month, which is a little pricey but it works so thats ok. I will probably drop it once I go back to the US. Its pptp only, however I can log on with multiple devices at the same time, to geographically different servers, so thats a plus. So far free VOIP calling using GrooveIP and google voice. At least one hour on the phone to fraud prevention, plus some shorter calls. And I have been able to stream netflix, hulu, and amazon prime. I don't do facebook and I am glad I didn't get into the IPO . Anyway it is working for me today.
boerne is offline  
Old Jun 8, 2012, 3:39 am
  #33  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,439
Originally Posted by boerne
As I write I am on a hotel wifi and a VPN service called vyperVPN using pptp. I have used this for the past week. There are a lot of free methods, and my usual goto VPN service, witopia, is blocked, even though they sent me "good" IP addresses. This one works great for me at $10 a month, which is a little pricey but it works so thats ok. I will probably drop it once I go back to the US. Its pptp only, however I can log on with multiple devices at the same time, to geographically different servers, so thats a plus. So far free VOIP calling using GrooveIP and google voice. At least one hour on the phone to fraud prevention, plus some shorter calls. And I have been able to stream netflix, hulu, and amazon prime. I don't do facebook and I am glad I didn't get into the IPO . Anyway it is working for me today.
Witopia has several methods of dealing with Chinese blocking.
planemechanic is offline  
Old Aug 27, 2012, 12:58 am
  #34  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1
One proxy someone recommended to me to unblock Facebook in China is Proxy Center ( https://www.proxy-center.com ). It's worked for me for Facebook - reading, sharing, uploading photos, games, messages. About the only thing it can't do it uploading videos. But it handles streaming video pretty well - YouTube works great. They have a free trial also, so you can test that it works for you before paying or giving any info. And it's secure. Good stuff.
SpringBlossom is offline  
Old Feb 8, 2013, 5:23 am
  #35  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1
I wonder who made the rule that no youtube, no facebook ect. This is really budging me cause there is some vids I wanna check out and u cant go on youtube..
TheIII1 is offline  
Old Feb 8, 2013, 7:34 am
  #36  
formerly danblar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: SFO
Posts: 249
Originally Posted by SpringBlossom
And it's secure.
I never understand how something like passing your personal data i.e. passwords etc through a third party source can be secure.

All the traffic essentially goes through their servers before going to the official site, which means they can actually capture the data you're sending and receiving.

Once you transmit data onto these servers, the integrity and security of your data is violated.
daniel46211 is offline  
Old Feb 8, 2013, 9:01 am
  #37  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: VCE
Posts: 14,165
Originally Posted by danblar
I never understand how something like passing your personal data i.e. passwords etc through a third party source can be secure.

All the traffic essentially goes through their servers before going to the official site, which means they can actually capture the data you're sending and receiving.

Once you transmit data onto these servers, the integrity and security of your data is violated.
Is should all be encrypted- although my general starting point is that there is very little security on the internet and even less when in PRC.
TRAVELSIG is offline  
Old Jul 27, 2016, 2:32 pm
  #38  
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 2
I am facing this VPN issue for a long time. Video streaming to social websites is blocked in our country. I have found one useful link about China VPN on reviewsdir(dot)com in which they have filtered best China VPN https://www.reviewsdir.com/blog/best-china-vpn/ have a look and share with your loved ones.
Mery Alpes is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.