Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

laptop microphone recorder program for meeting notes?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2009, 7:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA

I'd like to record an upcoming meeting, probably about 2 hours in duration, on my laptop. Can anyone recommend a microphone recording program that will write to mp3 or some other format than wav? Thanks!
Old Jun 1, 2009, 8:03 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, Marriott Platinum
Since you said you're looking for a program other than .WAV, I assume that you're aware of Microsoft OneNote, which records to .WAV. You could always convert the output file to MP3 after the fact.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JClishe
Since you said you're looking for a program other than .WAV, I assume that you're aware of Microsoft OneNote, which records to .WAV. You could always convert the output file to MP3 after the fact.
Won't 2 hours of wav be a really huge file?
Old Jun 1, 2009, 8:13 am

Not with OneNote. Probably less than 20mb. I use it all the time for recording meetings at work.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Not with OneNote. Probably less than 20mb. I use it all the time for recording meetings at work.
Cool, thanks! I'll try it.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OneNote is probably well-suited to this, but if you're just looking for a simple and flexible sound recording tool, Total Recorder is a good option. It's not free, but it's not expensive either, and a purchase includes lifetime updates (I bought Version 3 or 4 I think, and now it's on 7.1).
Old Jun 1, 2009, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

OK, so the OneNote idea worked well, except... I can barely hear the people talking when I play the wma file back. I did the tuning wizard before the meeting, but it is difficult hearing people far away from the computer. This is true even when I turn up the volume on my PC. How can I amplify the volume of the wma?

Thanks!
Old Jun 1, 2009, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by magiciansampras
OK, so the OneNote idea worked well, except... I can barely hear the people talking when I play the wma file back. I did the tuning wizard before the meeting, but it is difficult hearing people far away from the computer. This is true even when I turn up the volume on my PC. How can I amplify the volume of the wma?

Thanks!
This is largely going to be a function of the quality of the mic on your laptop. You could try positioning the laptop more centrally between everyone, or purchase an external mic.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 7:10 pm
Original Poster

This is largely going to be a function of the quality of the mic on your laptop. You could try positioning the laptop more centrally between everyone, or purchase an external mic.
True.

Any solutions to the current issue of trying to hear this past meeting?
Old Jun 1, 2009, 8:40 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by magiciansampras

Thanks!
I have not try it with wma. Perhaps Adobe Soundbooth (a paid program) or an open source program named Audacity may do what you want.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 10:48 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus, Starwood SPG
A free program you might want to check out is Audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/). Easy to use, great for quick editing, and works with multiple formats.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
If you can get a PZM "Pressure Zone Microphone" then you will probably get better results.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.