Converting USB cell modem to wifi router

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2009, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.114 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I am currently on a long travel vacation in central America. I travel here often so any hardware investment can be considered.

I just bought a USB cellular modem (has a Sim card in it). It is chinese no brand. Works great...in theory I will get 36gb for my $75.

Is there a way to connect this usb modem to a wifi router so multiple pcs can access it?

Any other ideas on how to convert the cellular signal to a wifi signal? Keep in mind that I may not have access to all the settings since it seems that it worked pre programmed out of the box.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 1:30 pm

Programs: Sometimes BA, sometimes AA
Could you run Internet Connection Sharing on a PC it's plugged into?
Old Mar 23, 2009, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.114 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Originally Posted by potfish
Wanted wifi for iphone, blackberry wifi calls, etc.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
I use a Cradlepoint MBR-1000 router, per ScottC's recommendation. Got it from 3Gstore.com
But make sure your modem is supported.

Look at their forums, very helful- http://www.evdoforums.com/

Also, check the details on your account- if there is a data usage cap and you exceed it, it could suddenly get extremely expensive.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 1:50 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
There are a few wifi mobile broadband routers out there,

Cradlepoint and Netgear make them, Linksys did make one, not sure if they do or not anymore,

You want to make sure it's compatible with both your modem and whatever service plan you have on it.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by potfish
Could I use ICS and connect from my cell/Laptop via a crossover cable to a wifirouter? (and then have all the sharing PCs use that wifi router)

Everything I have read always state that this method only works PC to PC

OR could I use the Apple's OS internet sharing sw??

Last edited by AAaLot; Mar 23, 2009 at 10:20 pm
Old Mar 25, 2009, 9:43 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
I use a Cradlepoint MBR-1000 router, per ScottC's recommendation. Got it from 3Gstore.com
But make sure your modem is supported.

Look at their forums, very helful- http://www.evdoforums.com/

Also, check the details on your account- if there is a data usage cap and you exceed it, it could suddenly get extremely expensive.
I bought myself the Cradlepoint PHS300 for Christmas and it is fantastic! I use it when traveling for work with my Ovation U727 on Sprint. I can connect my laptop and Nokia N810 with the wireless connection without the expensive hotel or airport connection charges. Do make sure you get one that is compatible with your modem.

I also bought my parents the CTR350 to use as their primary internet connection at home (northern Michigan - they can't get cable or DSL broadband!!). My dad connects his Palm 700W to it and he and my mother can both be online at the same time. Surprisingly, he is on Alltel which doesn't list the Palm as compatible, but since they were bought by Verizon (I believe), it could be a fluke.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 8:36 am
Original Poster

I wish I could find a cell router for my network (TIGO in El Salvador). That would be the best solution.

However, I did get my Mac internet sharing to work. The secret was pretty easy, but confusing. The cell modem either picks bluetooth, port, or modem to be the active connection...this varies every time I connect...I just need to make sure to share that connection.

The signal is week, but I have added a repeater to the equation.

The speed is fast enough for me to use skype, or make wifi calls from my cell phone.

If anyone gets any better ideas on how to research for a cell wifi router that will work on this network let me know.
Old Apr 15, 2009, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

I found that Huawei E960 HSDPA should work.

Any ideas on where to buy this?

Should any 'unlocked' version of this work? (are they all unlocked?)
Old Apr 15, 2009, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
I bought a D-Link DIR-450 HSDPA/EVDO router. Opened the router setup page, found the EVDO card model, turned it off, plugged my Sprint card in, turn on the router and it worked.
Old Apr 15, 2009, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by pfase_1
I also bought my parents the CTR350 to use as their primary internet connection at home (northern Michigan - they can't get cable or DSL broadband!!).
As I mentioned above, check the usage caps. We do use cell as our primary connection, and with AT&T there is a 5 gb/month cap. After that prices shoot through the sky. So far we're staying around 2.5 to 3 gb, but I steer clear of YouTube and streaming news video.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 8:43 am

What wifi routers will take a broadband sim card as input, without a card/usb modem? I think Anydata has one but can't find for sale and maybe expensive. I'm on AT&T and have an internal wwan modem so would prefer not to have another modem to carry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.