iPhone in Thailand with pre-paid SIM card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2009, 1:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Plat, CX Diamond, TK Elite *G, EK Gold, EY Silv, Amex Cent, R&C 5C, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Avis PC

Hi everyone,

I'm going to Thailand next week with both my officially unlocked iPhone V1 & 3G. I'd like to buy a pre-paid sim card there with unlimited data (I read the unlimited data plan at AIS is around 1000 Baht/month (USD 25).

Here is my question: will this work in my iPhones without changing any settings (APN for instance)?

If it matters, both of my iPhones were bought in France. I know that my iPhone V1 works on AT&T pre-paid without any changes to the software (but that would be expected).

Thanks for your help!

Fred.
Old Mar 14, 2009, 7:31 am

Good question - i'll be in similar situation next month. You might try asking on howardchui.com forum - that was my plan.
Old Mar 14, 2009, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You will have to change the APN or it'll be trying to connect to the AT&T servers.
Old Mar 21, 2009, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FB Plat, CX Diamond, TK Elite *G, EK Gold, EY Silv, Amex Cent, R&C 5C, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Avis PC
Here are the answers (I'm in Thailand right now).

I went to the AIS store at BKK airport. Bought a pre-paid SIM card for 400 Baht + 999 Baht for unlimited data for a month. (Roughly USD 40 in total)

They activated the SIM for me and everything worked after 5 mins. Internet connection works with both my iPhone V1 & iPhone 3G.

There is no 3G in Thailand (only in very limited areas actually) but EDGE works fine.
No APN configuration required. It just works out of the box!

Mail, web browsing, iPhone apps, Exchange connectivity: they all work!

Hope this helps others!

Last edited by fredsxb; Mar 21, 2009 at 4:09 pm Reason: Added more info
Old Mar 22, 2009, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by fredsxb
No APN configuration required. It just works out of the box!

Mail, web browsing, iPhone apps, Exchange connectivity: they all work!

Hope this helps others!
Glad it worked out - I'll keep this on file for my iPhone v1 for next trip.

What is/was your current default APN configuration? I have a 1-2Call prepaid account and will see what the cost for data plan next visit.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 8:35 am
Original Poster

APN configuration: blank in all fields and it works! (that is the default configuration when you insert the 12call SIM card)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.