Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Choose my new work laptop for me?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2009, 8:41 pm

Location: BNE, Australia...not too far from the nearest Qantas Pub err Club
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
If you're happy with the ThinkPad X series, I'd stay with them. Less of a learning curve on the new unit.
X200 works very nicely for me...
Old Mar 10, 2009, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gleff
What do I want as its replacement?
Why are you looking for a replacment?

It sounds like all the criteria for your new laptop are met by your existing one. (Other than the I must have the latest toy criterion. )

And yes, sometimes it's a spend-their-money-or-lose-it-forever situation...
Old Mar 11, 2009, 1:56 am

The x301 is out of your price range? It's out of my price range, and I really don't like the way Lenovo is pricing entry level $2,000+ machines with vista home basic and 1GB of memory. Stupid marketing. Memory is easy though.

How about this? http://tiny.cc/CUWU0 (don't believe the weight on that page. it's 2.9 pounds.)

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Mar 11, 2009 at 2:38 am
Old Mar 11, 2009, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Thanks all. I'm looking for a replacement because after 3 years I've beaten this machine up pretty good. Pretty much full hard drive, of course I could swap in a larger drive but the machine itself isn't in the best physical shape. Battery dangles a bit, front right corner cracked, it's seen better days

They'll buy me whatever I tell them to buy me. I'm senior management. But I'm not just looking for the latest toy, I'm looking for a machine that will maximize my productivity given my usage patterns over the next 3 or so years before my machine becomes a hand-me-down [after being completely and THOROUGHLY wiped/shredded/etc ] elsewhere in the company.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Thanks all. I'm looking for a replacement because after 3 years I've beaten this machine up pretty good. Pretty much full hard drive, of course I could swap in a larger drive but the machine itself isn't in the best physical shape. Battery dangles a bit, front right corner cracked, it's seen better days
I am glad I am not the underling receiving that hand-me-down beauty

They'll buy me whatever I tell them to buy me. I'm senior management. But I'm not just looking for the latest toy, I'm looking for a machine that will maximize my productivity given my usage patterns over the next 3 or so years before my machine becomes a hand-me-down [after being completely and THOROUGHLY wiped/shredded/etc ] elsewhere in the company.
If you've been happy with the Thinkpad, I'd stick with that brand. I definitely like mine.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by cordelli
I fixed it so as not to send others searching for references.

IBM is so much easier to type, I'll always think of the thinkpad as theirs.
Well, yeah, and in your defense, my Lenovo Thinkpad, bought in 2007, still has the "IBM Thinkpad" logo on it. I think they dropped the IBM logo last year. It was part of the purchase agreement that they were allowed to use the IBM name for a certain period of time.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 4:19 pm

But I'm not just looking for the latest toy, I'm looking for a machine that will maximize my productivity given my usage patterns over the next 3 or so years before my machine becomes a hand-me-down [after being completely and THOROUGHLY wiped/shredded/etc ] elsewhere in the company.
That's pretty subjective because I have no idea what that means for you. That's all management-speak. hahaha.

If you like the x200, go for it. I would prefer the x301, but it's expensive. I also like the TT, which seems to be a full featured notebook that's almost netbook sized and is certainly netbook weight. The one I gave you the link to is around $1700, because it's a low-end TT model that's probably being discontinued as they refresh that line. As with the x301, the entry level seems to be around 2k for the TT. Compared to the x301, the x200 is fat and ugly. (not that there's anything wrong with being fat and ugly.) On the plus side, the x200 is a brand you like and in the price range you want.

Anyway, this is all subjective, so take it for what it's worth. My thoughts on this might be worth nothing to you. That's ok too.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Mar 11, 2009 at 4:26 pm
Old Mar 11, 2009, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA-2MM; GalacticXpress-Irridium
Battery dangles a bit, front right corner cracked, it's seen better days
Might I suggest a Panasonic Toughbook .
Old Mar 11, 2009, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]

Then a ThinkPad X200s with 4GB of RAM (3GB if there are no plans in 3 years to go to 64-bit Windows) and a 320GB HD, and a 9-cell battery, should serve you well. Probably $2K or so.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 11:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
I have a ThinkPad T60 and I think it is well made. I dislike the one they gave me with a 15" non-widescreen display and this generation had no built-in memory card reader or Firewire. Of course, they add them for the next-gen T series.
Old Mar 15, 2009, 9:26 am

I'm also in the throes of an agonizing decision on a new notebook. (Current one is a Fujitsu P7010D which is a great notebook but the CPU is old and simply surpassed by my resource demands). My main requirements are a good screen which is not too big, a good keyboard, good disk speed (7200rpm or SSD) and a great battery life.

I think I'm stuck between the Lenovo X200 and the Samsung X360. The X200 has all the features I need and I usually like IBM/Lenovo keyboards. But I saw some reviews complaining that the bezel is very large which makes the notebook footprint larger than needed and makes the notebook look not very sexy. It is available on ebay for around $1100 with a 7200rpm disk or $1400 with SSD.

The X360 is new, and Samsung is new to the notebook game. It is getting good reviews, and it looks like Samsung is trying to make a splash with this new model and offering a very good price... It is widely available on ebay for around $1200 with 128gb SSD. What makes me hesitate is that the screen is 13.3" and I'm worried it will be too large for me, and that Samsung is very new to making notebooks and there may be weaknesses in their design that are not apparent yet.

(I also looked seriously at the Vaio TT, TZ and Z series, but they appear to offer almost the exact same specs as both the above with a much higher cost. The only really feature I see in the Vaio which differentiates it from the ones above is the ability in the TZ to have both a SSD and a 7200rpm disk at the same time).

Any advice anybody can give to help me pull the trigger would be welcome...

Posted with ForumPilot v1.1
Old Mar 15, 2009, 2:35 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Alaska MVP Gold
I've used an X200 for extended periods of time and I really enjoyed it, great portability but had that mix of speed and battery life that helped maintain high levels or productivity. I'd say go for that one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.