Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA: Pre-paid SIM with data volume

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2009, 5:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pdxer
at&t does not support gophone sims on the iphone and will very likely tell you it 'does not work' when in fact it does.
Yep, exactly what they told me.

Originally Posted by pdxer
the easiest way use a gophone plan is to buy a $10-15 gophone at any major department store and activate it online, then swap the sim card. alternately, get a sim off ebay. at&t discontinued their unlimited gophone data plan last fall, but now there's a 100 meg plan for $20.
Well, I do have an ATT SIM from ebay but I can't get it activated.

They did tell me that I would need to activate it with an ATT phone that I can get on the cheap but that the sim wouldn't work my iPhone then. Is that statement not correct?
Old Mar 24, 2009, 5:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by uhoo
That's strange, I was just using the $20 plan with my iPhone 3G. Worked fine - just popped the SIM card in, no additional configuration needed. I bought my goPhone SIM at an AT&T store though. The customer service rep was very helpful - saw that I was holding an iPhone and told me to go for the $20 data pack. Even offered to swap SIMs and add the data pack so I could try it immediately but I was in a rush so did it myself. So yes, it definitely is supported, but AT&T don't want to publicize the fact.

The SIM was activated instore, and I called the 611 automated line to buy the data pack.
Thank you - that sounds promising. I will do that when I'm over there barring any solution I could make work from here.

Originally Posted by uhoo
It deducts the $20 immediately from your account, you don't get the option to pay with a credit card so make sure you've got enough credit on it first.
Hmm, does that mean I need a bank account in the US for that to work? That's rather inconvenient for me, I am dependant of a Credit Card option (or cash?)
Old Mar 24, 2009, 5:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by adambadam
Was the SIM registering at all on it? Could you make a call for example? If the phone is unlocked it should work. There is no need to register the phone with ATT, and they do not do any sort of IMEI filtering. If it is just data that is not working you may have not entered the APN correctly. Does the SIM card work properly in other phones?
I wouldn't know until I'm in the US (I live in Germany). The gophone plans do not support roaming.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by khaberz
They did tell me that I would need to activate it with an ATT phone that I can get on the cheap but that the sim wouldn't work my iPhone then. Is that statement not correct?
you should be able to activate it online, but you will need a phone to receive the sms message confirming activation. i'm not if sure you can do that before you get into the usa. once it's activated, just pop the sim into the iphone and it should work.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by khaberz
Hmm, does that mean I need a bank account in the US for that to work? That's rather inconvenient for me, I am dependant of a Credit Card option (or cash?)
You'll need a US credit card if you want to top up online, otherwise you can just get a recharge card from pretty much anywhere - drug stores, Best Buy, etc. Just make sure you activate the SIM as prepaid/pay-as-you-go and not 'pay monthly'. Once you're in the US just dial 611 from the phone with your SIM card in it and follow the prompts to activate the SIM, recharge, and purchase the data pack (I think it's called 'medianet').
Old Mar 29, 2009, 8:40 am

Hello,
Interesting Thread. I’m wondering if the GoPhone Sim would work with an Xperia X1 (Code free).

Is it possible to activate the Sim with the Xperia X1? Does anybody know If it’s possible to use tethering with the GoPhone Data plan ?

Thanks...

However
Old Mar 29, 2009, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
I use a GoPhone SIM in my Nokia E71 without any problem.
Old Mar 29, 2009, 11:00 am

Thank you for the fast reply Non-NonRev.

Does tethering work with the GoPhone 100 MB Data plan ?
Old Mar 29, 2009, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by However
I have not tried tethering yet (I've only had the phone for a short time).
Old Mar 30, 2009, 12:28 pm

Thanks for the Info. Does anybody else have experience with that or knows where I can find information about that. Google & Co do not provide much information about tethering with the GoPhone 100 MB Data plan.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 12:31 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by However
Thank you for the fast reply Non-NonRev.

I really think that may be more of a question regarding your phone and how you enable tethering with your laptop?

I shouldn't think you'd have any problem -- but note: You can blow through 100MB really, really, really fast. Just a few graphics-rich web pages will do it.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 2:17 pm

Code:
You can blow through 100MB really, really, really fast. Just a few graphics-rich web pages will do it.
Yeah, thanks for the info. I would like to have it as an emergency internet connection during a MR. So the 100MB should work out.

I ordered a GoPhone sim and will try to get this to work. If anyone has some other information I would really appreciate it.
Old Apr 1, 2009, 9:33 am

Programs: United-1P!!!! (WOW!)
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by cblaisd
You can blow through 100MB really, really, really fast.
Which is why I can't BELIEVE so many carriers still charge data by the KB.

It's ridiculous!!!
Old Apr 1, 2009, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Prepaid data in the United States is a frikkin joke. I mean really, have none of the operators hear been abroad to see how foreign operators are dealing with it?
Old May 4, 2009, 10:36 am

Programs: LH Sen
How to get a prepaid data plan for iPhone when traveling to the USA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.