Community
Wiki Posts
Search

VoIP

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2009, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

VoIP

What service would you recommend for someone primarily US based, with frequent calls and travel to Europe? Low cost is good, does not have to be free. Bonus points if service available to the Middle East.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looking for a PC based service (requires the PC to be turned on all the time) or a service with a "box" like Vonage?

I'm a big fan of Magicjack, because it is dirt cheap (their intl. rates are low too), but it does require a PC to be turned on to use it.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 6:26 pm

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
I've had Vonage for several years and am very happy with it. The big drawback with MagicJack, for me, is having to leave a computer on all the time if you want to receive incoming calls. Here's the link to Vonage's international plans and the countries you can call:
http://www.vonage.com/intplans_detai...BIN070907017W1
Old Mar 1, 2009, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'll second MagicJack -- I have three, two permanently installed on machines at home and in my office, and one which I use for travel. Nothing beats being able to call back the US for free, and international from the US are very, very reasonable -- usually a penny or two a minute.

The MagicJack is a small USB device. You can plug a regular telephone into it, or else you can use the microphone and speaker on your computer. It's very reliable and call quality is usually excellent.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 6:36 pm

Anyone use Skype? How does it do for you. I have it here at home but only use it occasionally. Have not tried it from overseas or to call a land line or cellphone.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Leaving the PC on is not a deal breaker. Thanks so far for the reviews.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mshaikun
Anyone use Skype? How does it do for you. I have it here at home but only use it occasionally. Have not tried it from overseas or to call a land line or cellphone.
Despite all the broohaaha about Skype, I've never been a fan. Call quality has never impressed me, and since it is generally a free service, customer care is nowhere to be found.

I was a very early adopter of Vonage, but I left them when their rates began to go insane. My $15 plan started off with about $1 in taxes, and by the time I canceled I was paying almost $9 a month in taxes and fees. Plus their service just got downright useless.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 8:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by mshaikun
Im a big fan of Skype. I get the occasional bad connection but then just reconnect. I use it routinely at work. I have an almost daily conference call with a remote worker in my lab that I call on a Skype USB speakerphone. I also call other people on that speakerphone and I have one of the Philips dual mode (Skype and landline) cordless phones in my office that I use a lot. Im very happy with it. When traveling internationally I forward my US cellular to my Skype in and forward that to my UK or United Mobile SIM. I recently renewed my Skype account. It is about $3 per month for unlimited US calls and it has very good rates in international calls. I like it also because it is software based. So I can use it at home or in my office without anything other than a headset (including a BT headset is I want).
Old Mar 1, 2009, 8:42 pm

Nobody mentioned ooma. no pc left on and free after the initial $200-$300 investment.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 5:51 am

Programs: "I COME FROM Des Moines. Somebody had to." -- Bill Bryson
I have used Internetcalls.com for several years and have been very happy with the pricing from the US to Europe.

I am not a fan of Skype, it steals your bandwidth.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 8:43 am

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Keep in mind that the magicjack will analyze your called numbers to target ads, and there is no uninstaller for their software (you must rip thru the registry and delete things). Their customer support is virtually nonexistant, and when it is, they have no in depth knowledge of the product.

It is, however, dirt cheap.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ClueByFour
Keep in mind that the magicjack will analyze your called numbers to target ads,
I've yet to see a targeted ad or, for that matter, an ad for anything other than MagicJack services.

and there is no uninstaller for their software (you must rip thru the registry and delete things).
You can just delete the directory to which the MJ software installs.

Their customer support is virtually nonexistant,
True.

and when it is, they have no in depth knowledge of the product.
Not necessarily -- there are ways of reaching second tier and above and they do know their product.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 12:05 pm

Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Originally Posted by PTravel
I've yet to see a targeted ad or, for that matter, an ad for anything other than MagicJack services.
What you see is irrelevant to what they can do once the device is installed on your computer. I suggest (since I believe you are a lawyer by trade) that you review carefully the EULA you agreed to with the service and see if anything strikes you odd.

You can just delete the directory to which the MJ software installs.
Sure, you can do that, but it does not remove the registry entries and a few other goodies they drop. Moreover, they (unlike almost every other major software vendor known to man) don't give you an uninstaller to do this work.

Not necessarily -- there are ways of reaching second tier and above and they do know their product.
Really? I was helping someone debug one of these things, and the online chatdude insisted that it was a PC problem after three reboots and re-insertions did not solve the problem. As a customer, one should not have to jump thru hoops to get help.

If it works for you, that's fine. Keep in mind that the company's EULA allows them to do various nefarious things to your PC, the support is lousy, and you cannot uninstall it. Essentially, you get exactly what you pay for (eg, these reasons are why it's so incredibly cheap).
Old Mar 2, 2009, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ClueByFour
What you see is irrelevant to what they can do once the device is installed on your computer. I suggest (since I believe you are a lawyer by trade) that you review carefully the EULA you agreed to with the service and see if anything strikes you odd.
I've reviewed the EULA. It doesn't bother me. And I have three MJs installed, and none display ads.

Sure, you can do that, but it does not remove the registry entries and a few other goodies they drop. Moreover, they (unlike almost every other major software vendor known to man) don't give you an uninstaller to do this work.
I've run lots of uninstallers that don't remove registry entries. That's hardly unique to MJ.

Really? I was helping someone debug one of these things, and the online chatdude insisted that it was a PC problem after three reboots and re-insertions did not solve the problem. As a customer, one should not have to jump thru hoops to get help.
I agree. You might find this thread interesting:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...rt-stinks.html

If it works for you, that's fine. Keep in mind that the company's EULA allows them to do various nefarious things to your PC, the support is lousy, and you cannot uninstall it. Essentially, you get exactly what you pay for (eg, these reasons are why it's so incredibly cheap).
Two of my three MJs run on dedicated thin clients. The third runs on my laptop and I keep a close eye on things -- nothing nefarious to date.

As for not being able to uninstall it, sorry, but you're wrong. I've done complete uninstalls of the MJ when I've moved it from one laptop to another.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 6:04 pm

I've reviewed the EULA. It doesn't bother me. And I have three MJs installed, and none display ads.
Great, so the part that says:

If magicJack sees excessive use, including but not limited to, a customer whose usage is twenty (20) times more than the average magicJack's customers usage, or systematic or intentional misuse, it reserves the right, in our sole discretion, to terminate your use of the magicJack device and/or Software immediately, and you will not be entitled to get a refund of any licensing fee or any other fee you may have paid to us.
Which means it's not really "make all the free calls you want" and various other things they advertise.

You may also not be bothered by the part that reads:

Your registration data and certain other information about you are subject to this Terms of Service. You understand that by using the magicJack device you consent to magicJack's collection and use as set forth in these Terms of Service, including the transfer of this information to and from the United States and/or other countries for storage, processing and use by magicJack, its affiliates and business partners to provide you with information about communications-related service.
Or,

You also understand and agree that use of the magicJack device and Software will include advertisements. Advertisements will be served through the magicPage™ Software or the magicJack softphone – the software/softphone attempts to serve local advertisements and classifieds using a completely automated process that enables us to effectively target dynamically changing content. Our computers may analyze the phone numbers and your registration information you call in order to improve the relevance of the ads. We do not provide any personal information to our advertisers or third parties. magicJack has a policy of restricting advertisers that it believes are inappropriate, but it does not guarantee the accuracy or integrity of any advertisers and does not endorse any of the advertisements that may appear in connection with use of the magicJack device. You also understand and agree that use of the magicJack device and Software may include certain communications, such as service announcements, administrative messages and newsletters, and you will not be able to opt out of receiving them.
Can't opt out. It gets better, but you get the gist.

I've run lots of uninstallers that don't remove registry entries. That's hardly unique to MJ.
Really? I don't generally run them, or prefer ones that give me the flexibility to choose. It strikes me that there is a reason.

I agree. You might find this thread interesting:

As for not being able to uninstall it, sorry, but you're wrong. I've done complete uninstalls of the MJ when I've moved it from one laptop to another.
I'd be interested to see your list of registry keys and directories.

Yeah, one can uninstall it. Not without more work than every significant competitor and more work than most reputable software vendors. And I that's how they can make it cheap.

You want to load your machines up with this to save a buck? Your call.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.