Wiki Posts
Search

Worldwide internet connectivity

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2009, 9:09 pm
Original Poster

Worldwide internet connectivity

Hi all,
I have just been assigned a project at work which will require we to travel worldwide and to have internet connectivity everywhere. I assume my best option will be to find a satellite connection provider. Is this my best option? Anyone recommend other suggestions or providers?

Thanks heaps.

TKM
Old Jan 9, 2009, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
You need to look into BGAN satellite internet, there are a few options, they are all pricey.

There are both fixed point(ie stopped and getting service) BGAN and in motion BGAN, even between them there is a vast difference in price. For a full in motion setup don't be surprised to spend upwards of 20k and still need some reliable power source for the bgan and any laptop/devices. That is just for the hardware.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 9:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

By "worldwide" do you mean connectivity truly anywhere in the world? Or do you just mean in cities around the world? The solutions will vary widely, as will the costs, depending on the answer.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Business that operate world wide tend to have this set up.

Try https://www.ipassconnect.com/main
Old Jan 9, 2009, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Thekman
I assume my best option will be to find a satellite connection provider.
TKM
You assume wrong

Satellite internet is a major pain in the backside. Between the equipment, the service costs and a host of other issues, it's only really good for when you find yourself WAY away from civilization.

There are not that many places on the planet where you can't just get a decent landline and use iPass like the previous poster mentioned. Heck, you'll be surprised how many places have basic cellular data. Even a slow GPRS connection will be cheaper and often faster than a satellite connection. A basic BGAN terminal will cost you about $3000.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 10:16 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, BMI Gold, Subway Sandwich Mustard and was UAL 1K for 2010, now 1K for 2011 too :)
do you mean 24/7 or just daily to check things ?

and how many countries is worldwide ? or do you know yet ?

if its a few countries its much easier , but if you could be going to 100 countries on a moments notice it will be expensive ,

plus how much data will you need ?
a smart phone or a full server access ?

It would be interting to see what options come up

Rally
Old Jan 10, 2009, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all for your much appreciated input.

Some further info for clarification purposes. I will be traveling to major cities in all continents except Africa, and not remote locations. My anticipated usage will be between 5-7Gb per month. I am happy to pay higher prices for higher speeds (obviously), as I will be downloading larger files and emails.

Thanks all again.

TKM
Old Jan 10, 2009, 4:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Based on your travel plans go with something cellular or dial-up. No need to resort to satellite. And cellular/3G is going to be your friend for the bandwidth you are looking for, though it'll get expensive with roaming.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Business that operate world wide tend to have this set up.

Try https://www.ipassconnect.com/main
I do not what countries you'll visiting but I second the recommendation for iPass. I've used them as emergency for the past 5+ yrs. They offer dial-up, DSL and wireless connections in many countries (as well as USA).

Whenever I can't get high speed connection, iPass always has a dial-up modem telephone for a solid connection. I pay a $2.50 monthly fee plus actual usage fee - in the instances when I've had to use them their fees were very reasonable - even overseas.

Btw, their dialer for mac not as comprehensive as for pc users....
Old Apr 18, 2009, 5:45 am

No more Ipass for wi-fi

Originally Posted by dtsm
I do not what countries you'll visiting but I second the recommendation for iPass. I've used them as emergency for the past 5+ yrs. They offer dial-up, DSL and wireless connections in many countries (as well as USA).

Whenever I can't get high speed connection, iPass always has a dial-up modem telephone for a solid connection. I pay a $2.50 monthly fee plus actual usage fee - in the instances when I've had to use them their fees were very reasonable - even overseas.

Btw, their dialer for mac not as comprehensive as for pc users....
I am stuck... I have used the ipass global service for some time and they just stopped offer that service. It was great since they had arrangements with several providers (tmobile, boingo,...) and besides a few hotels in Europe, I could get online in most airports, cafes, etc. What do I do now? any alternatives out there?
Old Apr 18, 2009, 7:53 am

Programs: EK Gold, UA Platinum, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by dasalomon
I am stuck... I have used the ipass global service for some time and they just stopped offer that service. It was great since they had arrangements with several providers (tmobile, boingo,...) and besides a few hotels in Europe, I could get online in most airports, cafes, etc. What do I do now? any alternatives out there?
What? I have iPass and haven't noticed a change. What am I missing?
Old Apr 18, 2009, 8:42 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
How about Boingo? They have very similar arrangements and locations.

Cheers.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had global Boingo for about a year but the kept dropping locations as they increased prices so I dropped them. Wish there was a nice alternative.

MisterNice
Old Apr 18, 2009, 12:57 pm

Programs: Once nearly a somebody, now a nobody with United and Marriott
I have used the ipass global service for some time and they just stopped offer that service.
I'm not sure I follow, have they stopped the direct sale plans to individuals?

I use the ipass reseller i2roam.com. I haven't tested them today, but their web site is still around, and I haven't received any email. They're pay as you go. Cheaper than the monthly plan for light use, but more expensive for regular use.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.