Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
okay

okay, so NO help for me?
Old Dec 21, 2008, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by nmenaker
Any thoughts on how to trouble shoot? When I USE the orinocco card, and use the antenna, and use netstumbler to SEE AP's, it SEES this AP, and shows it with no encryption, and no other notiecable connection listing? Other than maybe an * after the Channel setting.
My first suggestion would be to reboot, then reinstall drivers, then run netstumbler+ to see more about the AP, then if all else fails, run a 802.11 analyzer program like Ethereal to see the handshake.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 4:12 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by stimpy
I think you meant to say $1000 isn't for hobbyists. These devices are for professional networks mainly. 4.9Ghz is unlicensed in some countries and in the USA is it licensed for local governments to use as they see fit.

Yes you can build cheap hardware, but if you want advanced firmware and other embedded hardware, the price goes up. That is what is needed for large scale professional networks.
Large scale Metro-Fi is not panning out. The only one left in the Bay Area is Mountain View. The AP in my neighborhood had gone out already. Few city governments are still talking about deployments anymore.

Since we are talking about WiFi, 4.9Ghz is not a WiFi band whether in the U.S. or else where.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by SJUAMMF
Large scale Metro-Fi is not panning out. The only one left in the Bay Area is Mountain View. The AP in my neighborhood had gone out already. Few city governments are still talking about deployments anymore.

Since we are talking about WiFi, 4.9Ghz is not a WiFi band whether in the U.S. or elsewhere.
You may want to look into this again. Yes, there were several high profile US city networks that had horrible WiFi business plans. Those have failed. There are a lot of tier 2 US cities that have WiFi networks now, and a great many around the world. www.strixsystems.com has put in thousands and thousands of mesh AP's in Europe, China, India, Africa, etc., as well as in many smaller cities in the US. Paris has two of these meshes, several airports in Europe have them. India is building several of these networks that stretch hundreds of square km and Africa is building like crazy. The Beijing Olympics used this technology too.

Strix and other brands use the 802.11 protocol on 4.9GHz for public safety applications. It is essentially WiFi on 4.9Ghz and a lot of US communities are using this now. See http://www.strixsystems.com/press/pittsburg.asp and http://www.strixsystems.com/press/br...e-ceremony.asp for two examples.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 3:36 am

Programs: UA 2MM
You may want to look into this again. Yes, there were several high profile US city networks that had horrible WiFi business plans. Those have failed. There are a lot of tier 2 US cities that have WiFi networks now, and a great many around the world. www.strixsystems.com has put in thousands and thousands of mesh AP's in Europe, China, India, Africa, etc., as well as in many smaller cities in the US. Paris has two of these meshes, several airports in Europe have them. India is building several of these networks that stretch hundreds of square km and Africa is building like crazy. The Beijing Olympics used this technology too.
If you say so... not around here at least.

Strix and other brands use the 802.11 protocol on 4.9GHz for public safety applications. It is essentially WiFi on 4.9Ghz and a lot of US communities are using this now. See http://www.strixsystems.com/press/pittsburg.asp and http://www.strixsystems.com/press/br...e-ceremony.asp for two examples.
WiFi is fairly narrowly defined.

http://www.wi-fi.org/

Again, this has nothing to do what the OP is asking.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 11:03 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by nmenaker
okay, so NO help for me?
My guess is that your 802.11B card doesn't work on their 802.11G-only network. Set your internal laptop card to 802.11B-only and see if it connects. (This setting is in the card's settings in the Network Connection properties. On my Thinkpad it is called "wireless mode").

If it doesn't connect, assuming this is a public hotspot, show up there and tell them that you can't connect on your 802.11B laptop and ask them to change the AP setting to support both B and G.

Good luck...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.