Reload this Page >

GPS vs Speedometer

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GPS vs Speedometer

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2008, 5:24 pm

Programs: After years of status, back to Peon levels. Anti-Apostheid Platinum, PWP CentCom
Originally Posted by slawecki

GPS do not compute linear mileage, but use a delta and sum system. a point can be accurately determined with a gps, but the distance calculation getting from one point to another is not.
If I know my position with a given accuracy at any given time, I can calculate my speed within a certain tolerance.

Here's a study of GPS units on bicycles:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15519597

In there, the accuracy is typically within 0.1-0.4 m/s, or less than 1 mph.

With a WAAS-enabled GPS receiver, you can know your position with <1m error in most cases. If you update position every second, the maximum error is 2m in 2 seconds, or about 2mph. With a few seconds of averaging, that error will decrease.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 10:09 pm

The GPS speed data comes from Doppler shift, not from measuring position.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 9:17 am

Programs: DL Silver & AA Exec Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott & Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by SJUAMMF
Many people change to a different size tires/wheels combination either as new or as replacement. I am using a set of alternate OEM size on my car that is larger than what came on the car by 4 percent but never bothered to recalibrate the speedo. So the speedo is under reporting the actual speed.

On the other hand, the GPS reports the true speed.
Exactly --- I would trust the GPS reading because of this ..... understanding that there is often a few seconds of latency with the GPS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.