Samsung Omnia How is it?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2008, 12:49 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Samsung Omnia How is it?

How is it? I need a replacement for my old HTC TYTN. I need windows mobile. Wifi, bluetooth, GPS, it being a lot thinner than the tytn. The omnia seems to have all of that.
Old Dec 12, 2008, 3:08 pm
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kicked out of all of them
Bumping this thread, as I am also interested in the OMNIA

Looks pretty cool, but paying $40 extra a month in wireless service, not sure if it's worth it
Old Dec 12, 2008, 3:37 pm

Is the Omnia triband or quadband UMTs?
Old Dec 12, 2008, 6:20 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
I think its tri not quad. Ill have a look though.
Old Dec 12, 2008, 7:58 pm

It's a quadband GSM. And there are 2 versions with the US one having 850/1900 3G and the non-US having the 2100 3G.

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i900_omnia-2422.php
Old Dec 13, 2008, 6:26 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
I got one about a month ago. Will write a review for it soon
Old Dec 13, 2008, 1:39 pm

Programs: Free Agent
Great! I'm going to buy an unlocked GSM version pretty soon, so I'll be looking forward to your review!
Old Jan 25, 2009, 8:35 pm

Programs: US Plat, DL Gold, WN when needed, PC Plat, SPG Gold, National Exec
I just got mine this morning. My old XV6700 was ready to be retired. It would not even work as a tethered modem this morning, causing a BSOD on my notebook. Walked to the Verizon store half a block from my hotel, and picked out an Omnia. I don't even know how to use it yet, and I already like it. Already have my Garmin Mobile XT software loaded on it. I like that fact that it has 8GB of memory built in.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 4:49 am

Programs: BA something, Luftwaffe SEN, CX Gold, Pilsbury Doughboy Fanclub, and lots of Amex cards
I had mine for a few hours before getting rid of it.
Fiddly, badly thought out and the awful OS seals its fate.
The touch screen was extremely difficult to use accurately- and in 2009 who the hell wants to use a stylus?

Huge disappointment- as on paper it had everything I wanted in a phone.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
I read a lot of reports and reviews exactly how linenbasket put it. It's a shame that the interface was buggy and the touchscreen fiddly. The less said about WM the better.

The only good thing I read was that battery life was fairly good for a 3g smartphone.

Maybe I'll need to stick with a dumb phone and a 3G netbook, for internet access and all the other stuff on a smartphone.

No wonder the 3G iPhone is so successful.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 7:21 pm

Just a little update, so far I am happy with the Omnia. I can't really compare it to the iPhone, as I never have had one, but it is a good phone so far, Call reception and clarity are good. The battery life is long, and it has lots of nice features for business use. I got the Visual Voicemail, and I like that a lot. Saw some negative posts here, and I guess it comes down to personal preference.

I don't care about the stylus. I found I can do most things without it, and I still like the stylus for typing, but I guess I am reluctant to change. I thought Samsung did a good job hiding the Windows Mobile OS beneath their own interface. Speeds are good when using it as a tethered modem.

It does have a removable battery and memory. Maybe not a big deal, but I hear the iPhone does not have either.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 7:29 pm
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kicked out of all of them
Originally Posted by SouthsideJAX
Just a little update, so far I am happy with the Omnia. I can't really compare it to the iPhone, as I never have had one, but it is a good phone so far, Call reception and clarity are good. The battery life is long, and it has lots of nice features for business use. I got the Visual Voicemail, and I like that a lot. Saw some negative posts here, and I guess it comes down to personal preference.

I don't care about the stylus. I found I can do most things without it, and I still like the stylus for typing, but I guess I am reluctant to change. I thought Samsung did a good job hiding the Windows Mobile OS beneath their own interface. Speeds are good when using it as a tethered modem.

It does have a removable battery and memory. Maybe not a big deal, but I hear the iPhone does not have either.
What kind of apps does the OMNIA support?

I've browsed the iPhone's app store, and it is very cool. Wonder what kind of applications does this thing have
Old Feb 4, 2009, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by jfe
What kind of apps does the OMNIA support?

I've browsed the iPhone's app store, and it is very cool. Wonder what kind of applications does this thing have
Verizon is way behind it that department,but they promise to catch up. I use it mostly for business, so I just loaded my Garmin Mobile XT software and the Delta flight schedules.

The Opera browser included in the Omnia is workable. I find I need the stylus here, as i like to type URL's from time to time. BTW, the stylus does not fit into the phone, rather it hangs on a tether from the side. A little strange, and hard to get used to, but oh well, you can't have everything.

It does have a nice program that allows you to take pictures of business cards, and then it uses some kind of OCR program to create a contact entry. So far, it has been very accurate.

The camera in this PDA is also very good. It is rated at 5 mega pixels, and takes a nice picture.

You can turn on the flash by pressing the down volume button. This allows you to see you car keys, etc.

I also should mention that the Omnia comes with a dongle that enables it to receive FM radio stations. Sound quality is not the best, but that might have been due to the included ear buds.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
Very importantly, how do you find the OMNI is for accessing FT via wifi - and can it do this for longish periods and retain some battery life?

I was sorely tempted to get this late last year (pricing error!) but held off due to complaints about WinMobile crashing cetain smartphones (which I cannot recall now).

Thanks for any further updates and reviews. ^
Old Feb 4, 2009, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by BiziBB
Very importantly, how do you find the OMNI is for accessing FT via wifi - and can it do this for longish periods and retain some battery life?

I was sorely tempted to get this late last year (pricing error!) but held off due to complaints about WinMobile crashing cetain smartphones (which I cannot recall now).

Thanks for any further updates and reviews. ^
I have found the battery life to be pretty good so far. They list the standby time as 21 days. The phone has some pretty good power monitoring features, so it does not waste power.

The Windows Mobile 6.1 is good so far. When it comes to my phone, i can't say i load it up with all kinds of apps, and then expect it to work flawlessly. I don't know if this is what you are asking, but I tend to try and keep it "light" on apps, since I depend on it for work.

The price was very good. I was on business when I bought it, as my old XV6700 died when I was in Chicago. If I had bought it online, it would have cost $99 with my New Every Two pricing. Instead, it cost about $240 with the addition of a softcover, a car charger and the headphones. I get a $70 rebate, so about $170 when all and done.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.