Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2008, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
Internet Explorer 8

It's still in beta, but it looks like there's some cool features:

Web Slices
InPrivate Browsing (Like Chrome Incognito...which came first?)
Accelerators

I'm thinking of giving it a try. I think I actually like IE better than FF now.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...a/default.aspx
Old Sep 13, 2008, 4:43 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
Just uninstalled it, it gave me an error every time when I would do a right click on a picture: restart.
Old Sep 13, 2008, 10:04 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Wow, I'm still on IE6...
Old Sep 14, 2008, 8:09 am
Formally known as reinmedia

Programs: AA EXP | EX UA 1K | Marriot Titanium
I'm attending the web 2.0 expo in NY next week and IE 8 Beta is one of the big sponsors. I guess there giving a big demo on it's capabilities. If I see anything worth mentioning, I'll report back.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 8:25 am

Programs: BA Blue
I find it a lot quicker to start than IE7, which is a good improvement.

One of the major changes, under the hood, is that IE8 uses standards-compliant mode by default, which means it renders pages correctly as per the various web specifications.

The downside of this is that over the years many sites are adapted to previous versions of IE's 'quirks' and so can look a bit broken in IE8. A quick way to fix this is to turn on 'compatibility mode' on a page-by-page basis when you see problems. this makes pages render like IE7.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 2:28 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I actually installed it back in June on one machine. Didn't work well at all then, but they have made significant improvments. Like the betas of 7, there are sites it just doesn't work that well with, but for the most part it was pretty good. Most of those sites were forms where it didn't handle the selection menus very well, same type of issue that 7 had. I think that's more with the design of the form not recognizing the browser then it was the fault of the browser if I remember the updates they did when sever was in Beta.

I think the text search on the pages is a much needed improvement, and like some of the other features. I'm using that and google chrome equally as much as each other right now.

The most common error I see are too many instances of Java, but I'm sure there will be a java update before it goes to it's final version that will address those.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 11:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K
One big feature is that each tab runs in its own process. What this means is that if one tab causes IE to crash (e.g. a plugin that does something bad), only that tab will close. Under IE7 this scenario would close all your tabs and you'd have to start from scratch.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Ever since I installed IE7 on my computer a year or so ago, Ive been having problems. My biggest problem is when I open multiple browsers (which I always do since I love multitasking and leaving FT open!), minimized browsers open on top of everything else when finished completing a task (like signing on with password on email for example). Why cant it just stay minimized until I want to open it without windows maximizing on top of each other? Is there a setting I can change?
Old Mar 19, 2009, 12:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN, HH Gold
Final is now available for download.
It feels little faster than RC1.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 1:02 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Ever since I installed IE7 on my computer a year or so ago, Ive been having problems. My biggest problem is when I open multiple browsers (which I always do since I love multitasking and leaving FT open!), minimized browsers open on top of everything else when finished completing a task (like signing on with password on email for example). Why cant it just stay minimized until I want to open it without windows maximizing on top of each other? Is there a setting I can change?
Why don't you just use tabs? The point was to keep from opening endless windows and cluttering up a task bar.

I'll give IE8 a shot at some point but I almost never load up IE7 except for the random site that just won't work in Firefox - and even then I use a Firefox add-on so I can run IE inside a Firefox tab.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 4:40 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, ITA Elite+, Cathay S, Singapore S, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I'm installing it right now though I would probably remain using Firefox as I couldn't go without ....... Plus
Old Mar 20, 2009, 4:02 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN, HH Gold
Originally Posted by thomas199023
I'm installing it right now though I would probably remain using Firefox as I couldn't go without ....... Plus
You could install IE7Pro. Works with IE8 and includes an adblocker (not as good as ....... Pkus, but better than nothing), mouse gestures and a few additional things.
Old Mar 20, 2009, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Given it has already been hacked this week in Vancouver, enjoy.
Old Mar 20, 2009, 4:28 pm

been using it for a couple days now.....still a few quirks in it that ive noticed. while its a good improvement, i still find myself using chrome...
Old Mar 26, 2009, 10:17 pm

Programs: AA Advantage Starwood
Still not as fast as Mozilla Firefox

I want to like internet explorer but it has become more and more bloated as time has based. I did download IE8. I find that it is slow at start up and when opening a web page. Mozilla Firefox is still significantly faster. It is still my browser of choice

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.