Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Digital TV-band radio for after Feb. '09?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2008, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Mrs. Deubster is heartbroken at the thought that after the digital switch in Feb. '09, her beloved Sony TV-band portable radio will no longer allow her to listen to local channels in the bathroom while preparing for work each morning.

A search for digital tv-band radios brings up tons of the same as what we currently have - a digital tuning radio that receives analog signals. Sony doesn't make one. Any suggestions? Does anyone make one yet?
Old Sep 12, 2008, 9:38 am

I use cordless headphones to listen to TV audio while walking around the house. Of course, that would be problem in the shower, but it works everywhere else.
Old Sep 12, 2008, 12:06 pm

Oh noooo! I have the same Sony, used for the same purpose, and the thought hadn't occurred to me...I hope someone will have a solution!
Old Sep 13, 2008, 3:59 pm

Programs: WN RR
I don't believe there is such a radio yet, but I have one too, and I have a suggestion for a workaround.

You could connect the radio's antenna to cable TV cable using a 300-ohm balun. Of course, that assumes that you subscribe to cable and that your cable company carries your local signals on its channels 2-13. Cable TV systems won't be going all digital for at least 2 more years beyond 2009.

Given all of the excitement about hurricanes and lengthy power outages in the news lately, folks with portable battery-operated TVs need to keep in mind that they'll have the same predicament.
Old Sep 13, 2008, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
It's a HUGE hole in the DTV conversion that hasn't been filled yet - the millions of small, tiny, handheld, portable TVs that will become bricks on February 17.

I had a wonderful, nifty Sony waterproof TV that I used in the shower for years. It used an induction charger base to recharge. No comparable ATSC/DTV version exists to my knowledge. I foisted the TV off on a friend because I didn't have the heart to see it go to static in February.

TV makers seem obsessed with building ever-bigger LCD and plasma sets - whither the handheld?
Old Sep 14, 2008, 3:18 pm

Nope, there's no replacement. I ran coax wire to all of the bathrooms + kitchen in anticipation of this. Fortunately cable TV still runs analog and if all else fails, I still have a cable head-end/DirecTV system in storage.

This really is a problem for those of us in hurricane country. The idea of firing up the generator just to watch TV is rather unappealing. Cable TV's the first thing to die when the storms pick up.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 8:32 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, BMI Gold, Subway Sandwich Mustard and was UAL 1K for 2010, now 1K for 2011 too :)
I hope our government that made millions selling OUR airwaves , and forcing us into this will now give government TV radios and small TVs to the poor ,

only need 3 channels , Oprah, CSPAN and Fox news !

let the lessons begin......do not think, just watch
Old Sep 18, 2008, 1:43 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by KRSW
Nope, there's no replacement. I ran coax wire to all of the bathrooms + kitchen in anticipation of this. Fortunately cable TV still runs analog and if all else fails, I still have a cable head-end/DirecTV system in storage.

This really is a problem for those of us in hurricane country. The idea of firing up the generator just to watch TV is rather unappealing. Cable TV's the first thing to die when the storms pick up.
I agree... the only time I fire up my battery powered TV is when there is a hurricane/blizzard etc. But what about this one?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1210377520598

Also check this site out:

http://www.lcddigital.tv/index.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.