Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best bedroom alarm clock?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2008, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

Best bedroom alarm clock?

While not 100% travel-related, I figured FT's travellers have seen it all...

What's the best alarm clock out there? I'm trying to find a good high-end alarm clock for my newest home. Must look good (of course) and have good sound quality. I have a pair of B&W 602 speakers which I wouldn't mind using with the alarm clock.

I remember there being some decent ones back in the 90's, like the Nakimichi and Proton units, but those seem to have gone away.

So...what's everyone using out there?

Last edited by KRSW; Aug 24, 2008 at 11:58 pm
Old Aug 24, 2008, 4:54 pm

Programs: AC*SE, SPG Gold, HH D
I like The Progressive Alarm Clock from Hammacher Schlemmer.
Old Aug 24, 2008, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

2 models come to mind; the Nakamichi you mentioned is still around. You can find a Soundspace 3 on Ebay for under $100. I loved mine, but the CD lid kept breaking, so I gave up on it. I'm currently using a boring iHome iH9, and because it has weekend/weekday alarms, I'm probably going to keep it around.

Another one I like a lot is the Cambridge Soundworks i765, and at $299 it's a hell of a lot more value for money than the stupid Bose Wave radio:

http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/s...ing_radio_i765
Old Aug 24, 2008, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh, and I also tried this one:

http://www.roku.com/products_soundbridgeradio.php

It wasn't bad, but the interface sucked...
Old Aug 24, 2008, 5:08 pm

Programs: MR Plat Premier, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Southwest CP
I for one, really find the new clocks in the Hilton chain pheomenally easy to use & program.
Old Aug 24, 2008, 5:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
I love the Oregon Scientific Starck Design Projection Clock and Weather Station that I got at Circuit City. It looks and works well and you don't have to put on your glasses to see those numbers up there on the ceiling when you wake up in the middle of the night, plus the weather info is handy. It's radio controlled so it's always got the right time. I don't use it for music as I have others systems for that. Don't use the alarm on it much as I prefer the ease of setting the alarm on my Windows Mobile cell phone.
Old Aug 24, 2008, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
I use my tv
Old Aug 24, 2008, 6:05 pm

Programs: AA Plat / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by arizonawildcat
I for one, really find the new clocks in the Hilton chain pheomenally easy to use & program.
+1 They are my favorite as well.
Old Aug 24, 2008, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ScottC
Another one I like a lot is the Cambridge Soundworks i765, and at $299 it's a hell of a lot more value for money than the stupid Bose Wave radio:

http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/s...ing_radio_i765
Uhh, yeah.

Count 1 vote for the black Wave Radio II. Bose makes twodecent products, [1] the QC headphones and [2] the Wave radio. Not only does the Wave sound better [surprisingly], it looks better to boot.

ScottC, I am surprised you fell for all that Henry Kloss CSW marketing hype.
Old Aug 24, 2008, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by anrkitec
Uhh, yeah.

Count 1 vote for the black Wave Radio II. Bose makes twodecent products, [1] the QC headphones and [2] the Wave radio. Not only does the Wave sound better [surprisingly], it looks better to boot.

ScottC, I am surprised you fell for all that Henry Kloss CSW marketing hype.
I hate the wave radio because it doesn't do anything for me. It doesn't even sound THAT good. Certainly not $500 good. To me, Bose has and always will be "better sound through marketing". And yes, I've slept next to quite a few wave radios...

I'd also never pay $500 for a CSW unit, but at $299 it IS good value.

If you are going to spend $500 on a bedroom setup, you are better off with a "real" stereo system IMHO.
Old Aug 24, 2008, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ScottC
I hate the wave radio because it doesn't do anything for me. It doesn't even sound THAT good. Certainly not $500 good. To me, Bose has and always will be "better sound through marketing". And yes, I've slept next to quite a few wave radios...

I'd also never pay $500 for a CSW unit, but at $299 it IS good value.

If you are going to spend $500 on a bedroom setup, you are better off with a "real" stereo system IMHO.
Well, I only have a couple of Wave Radios that I use in two bedrooms, both as a clock, alarm, and wake-up music.

IIRC I paid about $350 for one and got the other free thru Amex MR points – an admittedly piss-poor redemption value but my Amex MR points seem to pile up even more than my Cingular Rollover minutes.
Old Aug 24, 2008, 9:05 pm

Clocky?

Its not a fancy clock/radio/DVD player, but I'd vote for a Clocky:

http://www.nandahome.com/products/clocky/index.php

It goes off, then runs away, forcing you to get out of bed to shut it off!
Old Aug 24, 2008, 9:32 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA 1.8 MM, DL, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold,
My Dad still uses this Big Ben wind up clock. Not only does the ticking keep me awake when I visit him, it drives me crazy. The alarm is so annoying I want to crush it with a steam roller. Amazing it does keep just about perfect time if he remember to wind it every day. It drives me crazy and he is not open or any other options...just like his rotary dial TV with rabbit ears. Totally amazing he has free cable, but won't use it.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000V0DEC?...4VAQ499Q71AM6&
Old Aug 24, 2008, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by anrkitec
Well, I only have a couple of Wave Radios that I use in two bedrooms, both as a clock, alarm, and wake-up music.

IIRC I paid about $350 for one and got the other free thru Amex MR points – an admittedly piss-poor redemption value but my Amex MR points seem to pile up even more than my Cingular Rollover minutes.
It's ok. I forgive you
Old Aug 25, 2008, 7:11 am

Programs: DL GM
I have this one from Sony. Sound's not fabulous, but I sometime hook it up to my bedroom speakers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.