HSBC [considering] Ditching Blackberry for iPhone

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HSBC [considering] Ditching Blackberry for iPhone

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2008, 6:18 am
Original Poster

If you travel regularly, I believe that you really want a device that can also access your corporate mail over an encrypted tunnel via public wifi as well. As good as coverage has gotten, it is an important backup. Two years ago when I visited Lebanon, ATT didn't have a data roaming agreement there. Same with Oman. A week and a half ago, my phone (functionally) didn't work in Gallina, Illinois. Being able to jump onto wifi saved my six.
Old Aug 18, 2008, 7:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
If you travel regularly, I believe that you really want a device that can also access your corporate mail over an encrypted tunnel via public wifi as well. As good as coverage has gotten, it is an important backup. Two years ago when I visited Lebanon, ATT didn't have a data roaming agreement there. Same with Oman. A week and a half ago, my phone (functionally) didn't work in Gallina, Illinois. Being able to jump onto wifi saved my six.
WiFi is a great backup network. And there are a couple BB devices that have that available. The iPhone is certainly not unique in this regard.
Old Aug 18, 2008, 9:22 am

Programs: After years of status, back to Peon levels. Anti-Apostheid Platinum, PWP CentCom
Originally Posted by sbm12
Good would be an interesting play in the iPhone space. They have a great history of broad device support, so that works in their favor. And they can encrypt/manage corporate groupware content down to the devices plus application installation and some other neat things. But the last version I saw still didn't have the full management capabilities and controls over the device like RIM does. Moreover, I cannot imagine Apple allowing the installation of a package onto the phone that imposes such controls. That's just not their style.
FWIW, my employer now offers two options on phones that are fully company-paid:

* WM device (either blackjack II or Treo750) using Good.
* iPhone with ActiveSync

Employees who don't qualify for a company-paid phone are (as of last month) now allowed to get e-mail via ActiveSync if they want. Officially, the support for this is for iPhone users, but it works just fine on any device that supports ActiveSync (which IIRC in current incarnation does at least support remote wiping a device).

BB was supported up to about 3 years ago, then everyone was migrated to Good. So, we now have a hybrid Good/ActiveSync setup.

Right now, I have a Treo750, and I'm ready to chuck it for an iPhone. The Treo's worst failing? It sucks as a phone. When people call me, it rings 3 times on there end before my phone even starts vibrating, if it does at all. Battery life sucks - I don't even get a full day on standby in areas where it bounces between 2.5 and 3G when my BlackJack 1 (personal phone) gets 2+ days standby.
Old Aug 18, 2008, 4:39 pm

Location: BNE, Australia...not too far from the nearest Qantas Pub err Club
Wirelessly posted (Nokia E61 Wi-Fi 3G GPRS: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Symbian OS; Nokia E61/0633.09.04; 9730) Opera 8.65 [en] UP.Link/6.5.1.3.0)

Originally Posted by bdjohns1
Good would be an interesting play in the iPhone space. They have a great history of broad device support, so that works in their favor. And they can encrypt/manage corporate groupware content down to the devices plus application installation and some other neat things. But the last version I saw still didn't have the full management capabilities and controls over the device like RIM does. Moreover, I cannot imagine Apple allowing the installation of a package onto the phone that imposes such controls. That's just not their style.
FWIW, my employer now offers two options on phones that are fully company-paid:

* WM device (either blackjack II or Treo750) using Good.
* iPhone with ActiveSync

Employees who don't qualify for a company-paid phone are (as of last month) now allowed to get e-mail via ActiveSync if they want. Officially, the support for this is for iPhone users, but it works just fine on any device that supports ActiveSync (which IIRC in current incarnation does at least support remote wiping a device).

BB was supported up to about 3 years ago, then everyone was migrated to Good. So, we now have a hybrid Good/ActiveSync setup.

Right now, I have a Treo750, and I'm ready to chuck it for an iPhone. The Treo's worst failing? It sucks as a phone. When people call me, it rings 3 times on there end before my phone even starts vibrating, if it does at all. Battery life sucks - I don't even get a full day on standby in areas where it bounces between 2.5 and 3G when my BlackJack 1 (personal phone) gets 2+ days standby.
If you hate the Treo, and want a device with 'proper' RF and battery life and stability, watch the Good space for E71 support. As soon as it's ready that's my next device. Not the iPhone - no keyboard = no go.

And yes our business operates same lines - Good and ActiveSync.
Old Aug 18, 2008, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

WiFi is a great backup network. And there are a couple BB devices that have that available. The iPhone is certainly not unique in this regard.
I wasn't plugging the iPhone over the BBerry, I was suggesting that whatever solution you opt for, it is worth spending the extra money for wifi if the basic model doesn't have it.
Old Aug 18, 2008, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by willyroo
Wirelessly posted (Nokia E61 Wi-Fi 3G GPRS: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Symbian OS; Nokia E61/0633.09.04; 9730) Opera 8.65 [en] UP.Link/6.5.1.3.0)

If you hate the Treo, and want a device with 'proper' RF and battery life and stability, watch the Good space for E71 support. As soon as it's ready that's my next device. Not the iPhone - no keyboard = no go.

And yes our business operates same lines - Good and ActiveSync.
I have an E71 and like it, but am anxiously praying/waiting for version 2.0 of the software. My big gripe is no support for 2100mhz/1700mhz/900mhz 3g on the US model and no support for 1900mhz/1700mhz/850mhz on the European platform. I am across the pond next month for a couple of weeks and am debating whether I bring my new phone (with GPS) or my old E61.
Old Aug 18, 2008, 6:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by bdjohns1
ActiveSync (which IIRC in current incarnation does at least support remote wiping a device).
It can remote wipe the Exchange data in Exchange 2003 SP2 or Exchange 2007. It doesn't wipe the whole device though AFAIK. The latest release of SCMDM (System Center Mobile Device Manage) combined with Exchange 2007 can handle such tasks.

I used to love GoodLink. I still love their broad device support, but the fact that they seem to mostly be used on WM devices and the battery life on those sucks is not a particularly strong vote of confidence for their software. Plus, since the buyout by Motorola their product roadmap has been somewhat unclear, which doesn't help much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.