Wiki Posts
Search

Singapore electrical plug adapter

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2008, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Singapore electrical plug adapter

What king of adapter do I need in Singapore? I have US accessories.

Is this the correct one? http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3529
Old Aug 15, 2008, 10:56 am

Programs: UA-1K-MM AA-EXP-MM
You need UK 3 flat plug adapter

Here is a link to the type of adapter you need in my experience

http://www.walkabouttravelgear.com/300.htm

It has 3 flat plugs
Old Aug 15, 2008, 10:57 am

Programs: TK/QR Gold, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, Avis/Hertz PC
Its a UK-type plug.
Old Aug 15, 2008, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://kropla.com/electric2.htm
Old Aug 15, 2008, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by riteshraja

Not that one. This one:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2709

As mentioned above, it's the same as the UK adapter. (note that it accepts any type of plug, not just US, but US works fine in them.)

-David
Old Aug 16, 2008, 2:11 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Singapore is also 220-240 volts. Most US devices should be OK, but make sure you check as if you plug something in that's 110 volts only it's going to be noisy.
Old Aug 16, 2008, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by docbert
Singapore is also 220-240 volts. Most US devices should be OK, but make sure you check as if you plug something in that's 110 volts only it's going to be noisy.
Um, no. Most US devices, if plugged into 220 volts, will emit a puff of smoke and never work again. That's if they don't explode.

Any device that is labeled to take 220 volts will work fine. Otherwise you need a transformer.
Old Aug 16, 2008, 11:19 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Um, no. Most US devices, if plugged into 220 volts, will emit a puff of smoke and never work again. That's if they don't explode.
And you don't think the "noisy" and the "explode" go together?
Old Aug 18, 2008, 6:40 am

Programs: AA PPro

I don't know how long your trip to Singapore is, but if you are a gadget seeking person you should drop by Sim Lim Square shopping mall. Which is a great place to pick up universal input power adaptors. I.e. single plug adaptor or multi-way power bars into which you can plug just about any kind of plug.

I've just started to see them elsewhere, but for ages Asia seemed to be the only place you could buy these. I often travel with a 3-way. I have all sorts of plugs so it's a real boon.
Old Aug 18, 2008, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
I only electronic item I plan on using there is my laptop charger which is a Kensington 33197. The input says 110V, 240V so should be ok once I get the adapter. Thank you all for the replies

zoombee,
Yes I plan on visiting Sim Lim square. Are the good deals for electronic items in Singapore? Visitors dont have the pay the VAT right?
Old Aug 18, 2008, 9:58 am

Programs: SQ, UA, Delta, BMI(RIP), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond (Thanks Amex) Hyatt Discov
I only electronic item I plan on using there is my laptop charger which is a Kensington 33197. The input says 110V, 240V so should be ok once I get the adapter. Thank you all for the replies

zoombee,
Yes I plan on visiting Sim Lim square. Are the good deals for electronic items in Singapore? Visitors dont have the pay the VAT right?
You pay 7% VAT to the shopkeeper, but can reclaim it at the airport minus a small admin fee
Old Aug 20, 2008, 5:45 pm

Deleted

Last edited by ale4me; Mar 20, 2012 at 6:46 pm Reason: work
Old Aug 21, 2008, 2:48 pm

With SimLim you need to go beyond warranty/etc when checking what you're getting. Some of the less reputible retailers there will go so far as to do things like removing batteries and/or replace them with knock-off. Once you've agreed on the price they will then try and "upsell" by offering you the "long life" batteries for extra.

If you're buying anything there be 100% sure of what you should be getting in the box, and double-check thats what you're actually getting before you hand over your money.

Funan is much more respectable, and I wouldn't expect anyone there to do this - but you will generally pay a bit more.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.