Mac utilities help

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mac utilities help

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2008, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United MP 30+ yrs
Question Mac utilities help

Am running OS 10.4 on an older Powerbook G4 and am having trouble with it running very slowly and getting glitchy. Can anyone suggest a utilities for maintenance/cleaning etc (free would be great of course)? I use Glarysoft's on my PC at home but they are only PC. Not as familiar with the Mac options.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 12:22 pm

1. Do you have enough RAM (at least 1GB)?
2. Have you run Disk Utility lately and fixed your permissions?
3. If you're having trouble with a web browser, have you cleared your cache/cookies recently? Some people don't do this for years and get hundreds of megs of temp files.
4. Do you have any programs that run in the background or have a component that runs in the background? Have you tried disabling or updating them to see if that helps things?

Maintenance programs are a pretty big waste of money. Especially on a Mac.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United MP 30+ yrs
Originally Posted by cdma
1. Do you have enough RAM (at least 1GB)?
2. Have you run Disk Utility lately and fixed your permissions?
3. If you're having trouble with a web browser, have you cleared your cache/cookies recently? Some people don't do this for years and get hundreds of megs of temp files.
4. Do you have any programs that run in the background or have a component that runs in the background? Have you tried disabling or updating them to see if that helps things?

Maintenance programs are a pretty big waste of money. Especially on a Mac.
Not sure how to find Disk Utility. Have looked for something like that and don't see where it is. Also not sure how to look for programs running in the background. (Not as computer dense as I sound but have gotten much more familiar with PC's over the years of not using a mac much and now finding I don't remember how to troubleshoot. Hence the wish for some utility to do this!)
Old Jul 29, 2008, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mstraveler
Not sure how to find Disk Utility. Have looked for something like that and don't see where it is. Also not sure how to look for programs running in the background. (Not as computer dense as I sound but have gotten much more familiar with PC's over the years of not using a mac much and now finding I don't remember how to troubleshoot. Hence the wish for some utility to do this!)
Spotlight is your friend. Hold down the Apple and Spacebar keys to quickly bring up the search box and you can find anything on your system. However, if you want to make your life a little harder disk utility is located in Applications/Utilities. There you will also find Activity Monitor which will bring up a list of active programs, much like the Windows task manger.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 1:13 pm

Programs: AK, DL,UA
Mac help (system bar at the top of the screen, pulldown from help>mac help) will tell you step by step how to get to your disk utility and do a verify/repair of permissions.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by mstraveler
Not sure how to find Disk Utility.
Applications->Utilities

Once you find it, here's what to do: http://kb.wisc.edu/helpdesk/page.php?id=3810#permission
Old Jul 29, 2008, 2:06 pm

If you bought an AppleCare warranty with your Mac, it probably came with a disk that includes a utility called TechTool. I'm not sure exactly what TechTool does on OS X (I used to use it on OS 9 to reset the PRAM and other fun stuff and haven't really played with it on OS X), but it might be worth popping in that disk and pushing all the buttons to see what happens.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all. Found everything. Appreciate the help.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 6:10 pm

Onyx is also a good program for cleaning up your Mac.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.