Wiki Posts
Search

[archived] Favorite iPhone/iPad applications

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2008, 4:56 am

Programs: AA 2.2MM LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by alanw
TripAdvisor - horrible UI, clunky, odd recommendations
Another thing about the TripAdvisor app: I've noticed that every time you load it, it uses the previous location. For instance, I used it several times at home when I first installed it. It did have one suggestion that looked interesting, which I hope to check out soon. Then I used it near the airport (about 20 miles away) and it had the same suggestions. I tried it again and it had ones near the airport. Then I tried it again on the way home and it had the airport suggestions still. I tried again and it was nearby ones. Now, I'm in Chicago for a few days and I tried it again. It suggested places near my house. Tried again and it listed nearby ones. Workaround: Load it twice anytime you want local suggestions. Anyone know who to contact at TripAdvisor to let them know about the bug? I searched and couldn't find anything.

I agree, though, that the UI could use some work. Give us the ability to choose a location or use our current location. Let us refine results based a price range (not just a filter for a maximum price), location and cuisine. Might be tough, though, since price and cuisine data is missing for many restaurants.

Another interesting app I just discovered:

PageOnce - Gives you quick summary information for tons of finance and travel sites.
Old Jul 28, 2008, 9:21 am

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United MP 30+ yrs
Anyone have a good recommendation for a To-Do list app? And/or a Birthday app that will remind you ahead of the birthdays? ("Birthdays" seems to require that you look at it to know whose are coming up.)
Old Jul 28, 2008, 11:01 am

Programs: United 1K/MM (since 2003), Marriott Platinum
WeatherBug
Facebook
Pandora

but I just have a Touch. Phone is useless to me as it still doesnt have the Slingbox player. that is my must have travel program and I use my Treo for that. Plus I like the tactile feedback of the Treo keyboard

If I could get the Treo form factor with the iPhone OS and Slingbox via the AppStore, I'd be set. At this point, the Touch is my MP3/video player and the Treo is my phone/Slingbox companion
Old Jul 28, 2008, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA 1P, National Exec Elite
•Remote
•Facebook
•ebay

What I'm really waiting for is Sling Player.
Old Jul 28, 2008, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by xmlsoa
Are there any GOOD apps that dont have to necessarily go ONLINE and fetch information from the Internet to be functional.

e.g How Windows Mobile & BB have some apps that are just for OFFLINE use as a PDA. PDA like Tools.
I have an ipod Touch and the same complaint, particularly as I can't get wifi at my new office.

Still waiting for a program to transfer Notes from my Palm backup to the iPod (without outlook) - could not tell if any of the new productivity ones would do the trick.

So far I have installed:
  • BofA
  • Currency
  • AOL Radio
  • Google
  • LiveSportz
  • Moo
  • Instapaper
  • Travelocity
  • Ebay
  • NetNewsWire

Most are pretty worthless without the internet hookup except Moo

It is too bad that ipod don't come with a wireless card slot (though it would make for a thick device) - ATT iPhone service is too rich (and too crappy).
Old Jul 29, 2008, 11:10 pm

Programs: Ex CO/ UA Gold, Hotels.. TBD
I'd like to have some Apps that allow Offline usage. i.e. My information.. locally only. PDA Phone functionality when PDA Phone "utlities" did not depend on the Internet.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 5:47 am

Programs: FB Plat, CX Diamond, TK Elite *G, EK Gold, EY Silv, Amex Cent, R&C 5C, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Avis PC
Twinkle !
Old Aug 1, 2008, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Who wants to create an FT app?

KiwiPanda
Old Aug 1, 2008, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KiwiPanda
Who wants to create an FT app?

KiwiPanda
To do what? Can't the iPhone just browse FT like any other smartphone?
Old Aug 1, 2008, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by ScottC
To do what? Can't the iPhone just browse FT like any other smartphone?
Well as a shortcut it would be nice and who knows what clever developers might put into the app? Just a thought.

KiwiPanda
Old Aug 1, 2008, 3:48 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Well as a shortcut it would be nice and who knows what clever developers might put into the app? Just a thought.

KiwiPanda
No need for an app or anything like that. I have the mobile flyertalk page bookmarked on my home screen.

Just go to the FT mobile (or regular FT page), click the + key, next to the bookmark and forward/back key and click the thing that says "add to home screen."
Old Aug 1, 2008, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by tusphotog
No need for an app or anything like that. I have the mobile flyertalk page bookmarked on my home screen.

Just go to the FT mobile (or regular FT page), click the + key, next to the bookmark and forward/back key and click the thing that says "add to home screen."
Great - thankyou ^

KiwiPanda
Old Aug 1, 2008, 10:58 pm

Programs: FB Plat, CX Diamond, TK Elite *G, EK Gold, EY Silv, Amex Cent, R&C 5C, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Avis PC
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A345 Safari/525.20)

if only we did not have to enter our login info every single time we use the mobile FT website...
Old Aug 2, 2008, 2:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC

KiwiPanda
Something like the KVS tool on your phone I think would be the most beneficial for a quick lookup when you don't want to get your computer out.
Old Aug 2, 2008, 7:08 am

Programs: AA 2.2MM LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by MichaelColey
Another thing about the TripAdvisor app: I've noticed that every time you load it, it uses the previous location. ... Workaround: Load it twice anytime you want local suggestions.
FWIW, it looks like the latest update fixes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.