Search

How Do You Reject A Cell Call?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2008, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by KVS
There is also a 3rd way:
  • Cancel all call/voicemail forwarding (using the call forwarding menu or dialling ##002#)

You will then have a choice of either rejecting the call (by pressing the END/NO button), or letting it ring until the caller hangs up. There will be no charge to either yourself or the caller for either option.
I was charged 6 or 8 dollars for rejecting a call in China (i forget the exact amount other than I was amazed and upset) using that method so I don't think it works. I'm with gfunkdave and before I leave forward all voice calls to voice mail. That way I can turn my phone on in another country and receive text messages no problem, I also am notified (sometimes, it seems to be network dependent) if there are messages waiting.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 10:45 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
The second way is to set your phone to forward all calls (aka unconditional call forwarding) to a US number before you leave.
While GrandCentral has issues, wouldn't it work to forward the US cell calls to the GrandCentral phone number and fool around with the GrandCentral settings while pointing those calls to another number that is set to forward to a separate international roaming cell phone number?

US mobile number > GrandCentral > Skype/Vonage > International mobile number is an example of what I'm talking about.

I do what I can to avoid roaming on a SIM card from a call-receiver-pays(-too) country while in another country.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyinbob
On a side note to start, I've been getting those daily annoying "car warranty is expiring" calls on my cell phone lately (anyone else?). Now when I go overseas, receiving those calls will cost. Is there a way of completely rejecting a call, not sending it to voice mail, but just dumping it completely? I can't find anything in the iPhone manual. There's got to be way, right?
If you have the number you want to reject, you can call your provider and file a complaint against them. I believe there are ways for them to block specific numbers to your account - its worth the phone call
Old Jul 22, 2008, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
While GrandCentral has issues, wouldn't it work to forward the US cell calls to the GrandCentral phone number and fool around with the GrandCentral settings while pointing those calls to another number that is set to forward to a separate international roaming cell phone number?

US mobile number > GrandCentral > Skype/Vonage > International mobile number?
Sure, I think that'd work fine. You just need to set the US Mobile > GrandCentral forwarding before you leave the US.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by GoingAway
If you have the number you want to reject, you can call your provider and file a complaint against them. I believe there are ways for them to block specific numbers to your account
Your mobile service is different than mine, if you're right.
I have tried, without success to have AT&T (blue) block phone calls to my cell that are made by scam pharmacy operators and may well have been made to the number prior to my ownership of it.

Good luck if you can get your provider to put a block on the incoming calls, and IF SO: Please Post Here!!

Dave
Old Jul 22, 2008, 11:41 am
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also, when I've used that Cancel All Forwarding code, it resets itself after a day or so.
Well, that's the problem -- if your home carrier does not allow you to completely cancel call forwarding then you would, indeed, be charged.

I was charged 6 or 8 dollars for rejecting a call in China (i forget the exact amount other than I was amazed and upset) using that method so I don't think it works.
Again, are you 100% certain about the status of the call forwarding on your account at the time you rejected the call?

To check, you need to use the following commands:
  • *#61#
  • *#62#
  • *#67#
Old Jul 22, 2008, 11:56 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Press one to speak with an agent

Inform the agent that you want to be removed from the call list. They will tell you it takes 30 days to do so.

Hang up.

Call them back from a regular phone, unless you have unlimited minutes.

Hit the option to speak with an agent.

Inform the agent that you want to be removed from the call list and give them the number to remove.

Repeat from the hang up step as many times as you can.

The agents are all a-holes (if it's auto warantee out of atlanta) but after a week they will get the idea (at least that's how long it took for me to get off their list)

You need to tie the agent up for a while, even if it's pretending to want their service. Time is money to them, so get an agent, ask what's covered, ask how much, spend 20 minutes with them, then tell them you don't want to be called again and if they do you will repeat the call and they could have sold a half dozen shoddy warantees.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KVS
Again, are you 100% certain about the status of the call forwarding on your account at the time you rejected the call?

To check, you need to use the following commands:
*#61#
*#62#
*#67#
No - can't say I recall doing this. If this cancels forward, how does that help though? The system still finds you to ring but now you've lost (i assume) the chance to capture an email on the other end
Old Jul 22, 2008, 1:50 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No - can't say I recall doing this. If this cancels forward, how does that help though? The system still finds you to ring
For this to be a chargeable call, the call needs to be either answered, or forwarded to another number (and answered at that number) ...
Old Jul 22, 2008, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by cordelli
Press one to speak with an agent

Inform the agent that you want to be removed from the call list. They will tell you it takes 30 days to do so.

Hang up.

Call them back from a regular phone, unless you have unlimited minutes.

Hit the option to speak with an agent.

Inform the agent that you want to be removed from the call list and give them the number to remove.

Repeat from the hang up step as many times as you can.

The agents are all a-holes (if it's auto warantee out of atlanta) but after a week they will get the idea (at least that's how long it took for me to get off their list)

You need to tie the agent up for a while, even if it's pretending to want their service. Time is money to them, so get an agent, ask what's covered, ask how much, spend 20 minutes with them, then tell them you don't want to be called again and if they do you will repeat the call and they could have sold a half dozen shoddy warantees.
This works with regular annoying calls. But these guys are in a class of their own. First, as soon as you start to say "please remove me..." they say "hold please" and disconnect you. If you try to call back the number that shows on the caller ID, it returns as a disconnected number. Basically, they will never remove you and pretty much dare you to try to stop them.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 5:32 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by flyinbob
This works with regular annoying calls. But these guys are in a class of their own. First, as soon as you start to say "please remove me..." they say "hold please" and disconnect you. If you try to call back the number that shows on the caller ID, it returns as a disconnected number. Basically, they will never remove you and pretty much dare you to try to stop them.
Even though I am not a victim of this expiring auto warranty phone scam (yet), I try my best to report those companies or file complaints with FTC.

If you google it, you will find quite a few results regarding the auto warranty expiring scam. One guy even has a class action law suit against these bad guys (more details here). If you like, check out the sample links I just found and see how others handled this problem:

http://www.theinternetpatrol.com/sca...d-623-238-6228

http://800notes.com/articles/News.as...iwA5RQjKe4T3Ww

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23147777/

Like you said, the company would "disguised" their number and made it challenging to finger point them. But if you google the 800 number you obtained from your caller id, chances are that number is on the radar of complaint map. Sometimes you will find more info from the victims's "detective" work.

The funny thing is I happened to get a postcard about expiring auto warranty this afternoon. Not sure if this is the same one who's been calling you. The one I got is from "Dealers Warranty" (address: 745 Friedens RD STE 201, St. Charles, MO 63303) with the contact number: (888)963-6723. It seems the auto warranty scam companies tend to base in MO or FL.

I believe you will need as much info as possible when you file the complaint. Next time try to dig more info (company name, call back number, or address) from the CSR over the phone BEFORE you ask them to remove you.

Good luck!
Old Jul 23, 2008, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
If you have the number you want to reject, you can call your provider and file a complaint against them. I believe there are ways for them to block specific numbers to your account - its worth the phone call
It sounds like they’re deliberately munging the CID from behind a PBX, so this won’t work unless they’re using the same fake number.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 10:39 am

Technically this should work. However, Grand Central's (GC) VM kicks in after 4 rings or so, and it cannot be changed. So, most of the calls may roll to GC's VM (Calls forwarded via GC will always fallback to their VM). At least this was my experience on a recent trip to the Caribbean when I forwarded my mobile to GC, then GC to my international sim card with a US number (Yackie mobile)

US Mobile->GC->yackie mobile

This will create more lags and just about all calls will be routed to the GC VM.
US mobile number > GrandCentral > Skype/Vonage > International mobile

Originally Posted by GUWonder

US mobile number > GrandCentral > Skype/Vonage > International mobile number is an example of what I'm talking about.

I do what I can to avoid roaming on a SIM card from a call-receiver-pays(-too) country while in another country.
Old Jul 24, 2008, 2:50 am

Incorrect. You will be charged for a minimum of two minutes even if you don't answer the call: one minute for your provider to forward the call to your phone overseas, and another for you to forward the call back to the voicemail system in the US. This is standard billing procedure pretty much everywhere.
Hmm, I'm not sure I agree with you there - the GSM carriers charge to ring you in another country, because the foreign country operator charges your home carrier for the privilege of using their network to find you.
Boy, Orange in France is pretty rapacious, and even they don't charge if you don't answer. Maybe the inter-company agreements/laws are different in Europe, but I've never been charged for unanswered calls while abroad. Small compensation for lots of other high charges, I guess.
Old Jul 24, 2008, 2:14 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by Louie_LI
Boy, Orange in France is pretty rapacious, and even they don't charge if you don't answer. Maybe the inter-company agreements/laws are different in Europe, but I've never been charged for unanswered calls while abroad. Small compensation for lots of other high charges, I guess.
I've never been charged for incoming calls on my French cell phone (also an Orange customer).

OTOH, I don't think I've received any overseas calls on my Orange phone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.