Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Boingo Wireless Unlimited for $9.95 per month (not an introductory rate)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2008, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K; Delta Silver Medallion (1MM); Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold; National Executive

Edit - Update: As of June 2009, this offer is no longer a limited time special as described in my original message below. It seems that $9.95 is the new price for their unlimited service. However, it does appear that they do not have as many partners as they used to. Instead of following the complicated instructions below, you can now just go to the Boingo website and the $9.95 link is right there - no promo codes necessary.

------------------------------------------

Boingo wireless offers unlimited wireless internet at thousands of wireless hotspots around the North America for $21.95 per month. I've occasionally used Boingo's Pay as you go service ($7.95 per day).

Since May they've been emailing me to "upgrade" to Boingo Unlimited for $9.95 per month "for life". It's their normal unlimited service with no contract, you can cancel anytime. This is supposedly targeted to Boingo AsYouGo customers, I called Boingo (got a rep in seconds ^) to ask about a few details. The rep described the normal $21.95 rate, and then sometime after I mentioned that I'd used the AsYouGo service, she said that they were offering a limited time special for $9.95 per month to upgrade - I hadn’t yet mentioned the offer. She specifically told me that this rate was for those upgrading from the AsYouGo service. However, in fiddling around with their website, it seems that it is possible to sign up without previously having an account.

Here’s the process:
  1. Go to Boingo’s website,
  2. Select the Sign Up Now link for Laptop WiFi
  3. Scroll down to a link that says “Have a Promotional Code? Click here.”
  4. Enter UNL01090USD0 as the Promotional Code

This will take you to a page that shows $9.95 per month for unlimited wireless. Follow the instructions and it takes you to a page where you can set up your account – it doesn’t seem to require any old AsYouGo account information.

Note that I haven’t actually signed up yet so I don’t know for sure that you can get through the entire process, but it appears that way. This seems like a really good deal, especially considering that you are able to use hotspots from T-Mobile, Wayport, AT&T, Sprint, and IBahn. However, I’m just not sure that I would use it enough to justify it, even at that rate. I use PDANet with my Treo755 (Sprint) whenever I can’t get free wireless access an airport or hotel. I do end up spending $8 to $12 for a day’s worth of hotspot access occasionally when I need faster service or just can’t get a solid Sprint signal, probably about 6 times per year. The $120 per year fee would be more than I currently spend on Wi-Fi access. However, it would be nice to be able to have faster service more consistently, and be able to use my phone when on the internet at more hotels and airports.

I’m a bit wary about Boingo’s software – I'm not sure I want it to fully take over my wireless internet connectivity. Does anybody know if the Boingo hotspot service can be used without the Boingo software?

Last edited by PDX-RDM-AVL-TPA; Oct 19, 2009 at 11:15 am Reason: Added new info about rate no longer being a limited time offer.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PDX-RDM-AVL-TPA
Does anybody know if the Boingo hotspot service can be used without the Boingo software?
You don't need their software. You can just log-in from the hotspot's gateway page by selecting Boingo as the roaming partner and entering your user info.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 3:02 pm

Programs: TK/SQ Gold, QR Plat, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, HH Gold, Hertz PC
Now if only there was one for Boingo Global...
Old Jul 17, 2008, 3:41 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
I can confirm this works; after putting in the promo code the monthly price switches to $9.95.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 3:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Very cool. ^^

I hope you don't mind getting some credit for the discovery here.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K; Delta Silver Medallion (1MM); Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold; National Executive
Originally Posted by sbm12
Very cool. ^^

I hope you don't mind getting some credit for the discovery here.

I don't mind the credit at all. The interesting thing is that I've been getting these emails since May. I should note that the last email that I received said "last chance". And when I asked the rep today, she told me that she didn't know when the limited time offer ended. But then I just re-read the latest email I received and I finally noticed something I missed before - "this offer expires July 31st." So if you want this deal, better sign up soon.

Updating the boardingarea blog with this might make sense too.

Also, someone on the blog noted that it's only good for the US and Canada. This is correct. You can use the service overseas as well, but you are charged a per minute fee. The phone rep told me that the per minute fee varies from $0.12 to $0.25. That's really steep and could add up very quickly. Boingo offers AsYouGo service for $9.95 per day outside of North America. But the rep told me that you would need to have a separate AsYouGo account to get that rate. And of course they also offer a $39.95 Boingo Global rate where there are no "premium" international charges.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

Usage limit 3,000 minutes per month

One more important point - Earlier today I skimmed through the Boingo customer agreement and found that they have an overall usage limit of 3,000 minutes per month. For most people that wouldn't be an issue, but a heavy user could burn through that fairly quickly. That's the equivalent of 100 minutes per day, or about 6 typical "work" days of 8 hours per month. It would.

Another limitation that jumped out at me from the agreement is that the service is only supposed to be used by one person on one device.
Old Jul 18, 2008, 6:05 am

Thanks for the caveats - definitely useful information!
Old Jul 20, 2008, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Althoough I already subscribe to T-Mo HotSpot, I went ahead ans signed up (thanks again to PDX-RDM-AVL-TPA for the step-by-step instructions - I had a problem seeing the promo code link) for Boingo. I'll keep both for a little while and test out Boingo - the discount pricing makes it a reasonable beta
Old Jul 20, 2008, 8:56 am

I just signed up as well. I've got a work trip this coming week to Atlanta and the hotel I'm staying in participates. Paying $9.95 for the month is way better than $12.95/day for the three days I'll be there. Heck - paying the $20 rate would've been better. Now I just have to remember to cancel next month if I'm not going to use it...
Old Jul 21, 2008, 9:12 am

Programs: SPG Gold;NWA gold;Hyatt Plat
One nice thing about using their software is it does include a VPN client, which works even from open access points. I've seen VPN services charging about $10/mo, so you get the VPN service and free wifi at that point
Old Jul 24, 2008, 4:11 am

Originally Posted by goaliemn
One nice thing about using their software is it does include a VPN client, which works even from open access points. I've seen VPN services charging about $10/mo, so you get the VPN service and free wifi at that point
Does Boingo VPN have to be activated manually each time you connect? Do I understand correctly that the VPN works even when connecting to a non-Boingo hotspot, e.g. a free wifi connection in a hotel?? Thanks very much.
Old Jul 24, 2008, 5:08 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Thanks for this- I was *this* close to signing up for ATT WiFi ($20/mo) and getting rid of my ($40/mo, no contract- I hate contracts) T-Mo account. Considering I have Sprint 3G and 99% of my T-Mo is used at Starbucks, which just switched to ATT, I really have no use for the T-Mo any longer if I can get any nationwide WiFi solution for cheaper.
Old Jul 24, 2008, 12:42 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
One alternative for some: maybe everyone knows this but if you register a Starbucks card and use it or re-load it (purchase any amount or re-load any amount) every thirty days, you get 2 free hours of ATT wifi per day. I've confirmed that it works at both Starbucks and McDonalds, and would assume that any other ATT Wifi hotspots work too.

Every time you use your Starbuck card it resets the 30 day clock. So whatever you think of their coffee or their prices , a $1.85 charge for a small (excuse me TALL cup) every 30 days may be the best deal for wifi right now if there are ATT hotspots where you need them.
Old Jul 24, 2008, 8:01 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by cblaisd
One alternative for some: maybe everyone knows this but if you register a Starbucks card and use it or re-load it (purchase any amount or re-load any amount) every thirty days, you get 2 free hours of ATT wifi per day. I've confirmed that it works at both Starbucks and McDonalds, and would assume that any other ATT Wifi hotspots work too.

Every time you use your Starbuck card it resets the 30 day clock. So whatever you think of their coffee or their prices , a $1.85 charge for a small (excuse me TALL cup) every 30 days may be the best deal for wifi right now if there are ATT hotspots where you need them.
Good info--never knew about this. I'd definitely take advantage of this if it really does work at all ATT hotspots. Anyone know for sure?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.