Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"+" key on blackberry

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2008, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

"+" key on blackberry

I have a blackberry from Sprint. for what ever reason, it simply won't handle the "+" feature - if I want to dial from where ever I am, I need to manually dial the international access code: so if I am in a country that the access code is "00" I need to dial "00" if the access code is "0123" I need to dial "0123" etc. it is driving me crazy.

does anybody else have this problem? do you have a solution? do you use blackberries internatioally without this problem? with Sprint or somebody else?
Old Jul 15, 2008, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
I think + is part of the GSM standard, not CDMA. Where can you use a Sprint phone besides the US? Korea?
Old Jul 15, 2008, 3:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I am almost certain that the + key works on my VZW 8830, though I was in a GSM country when I used it.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JAaronT
I think + is part of the GSM standard, not CDMA. Where can you use a Sprint phone besides the US? Korea?
I use the + sign on my Sprint Mogul, so it must be a Blackberry thing...
Old Jul 15, 2008, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ScottC
I use the + sign on my Sprint Mogul, so it must be a Blackberry thing...
Calculator doesn't count.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

I have the blackberry world edition, which is CDMA/GMS. it was suposed to work in the US, all the GSM countries, Japan and korea. it doesn't. I could live with that, even though the incentive to buy it was to use it in Jako.

now I want to go back to ATT, but only if the blackberry will work with the "+" symbol.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Odysseus
I have the blackberry world edition, which is CDMA/GMS. it was suposed to work in the US, all the GSM countries, Japan and korea. it doesn't. I could live with that, even though the incentive to buy it was to use it in Jako.

now I want to go back to ATT, but only if the blackberry will work with the "+" symbol.
Whoever told you that the Blackberry 8830 would work in Japan was wrong.

The 8830 only does GSM 900/1800. For Japan you'd need 3G/WDMA as the CDMA system Sprint uses does not work there.

South Korea on the other hand should work as they do use 1x data and CDMA.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 7:12 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
I've got an AT&T blackberry, and I make it a point of booking my contacts with "+" regardless of their country. I don't have a problem.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
I have a Sprint BB 8830 and the "+" does work even in the U.S. It changes to 011 automatically. But this "+" sign is already in the contact list with the number I want to dial.

Yes, the BB 8830 doesn't work in Japan. I use an UMTS Nokia N73 in Japan with a Sprint International roaming SIM.

Edit:
To enter the "+" sign on the keypad, press "ALT" twice, then press o/+ key.

Last edited by SJUAMMF; Jul 15, 2008 at 9:21 pm
Old Jul 16, 2008, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ClueByFour
I've got an AT&T blackberry, and I make it a point of booking my contacts with "+" regardless of their country. I don't have a problem.
1. what model Blackberry?

2. can you confirm that the "+" sign dials correctly outside of the US? by that I mean, it works when you hit somebodies number on your address book when you are traveling, right?

thank you very much.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SJUAMMF
Edit:
To enter the "+" sign on the keypad, press "ALT" twice, then press o/+ key.
entering the "+" sign isn't the problem. the problem is that all of my addresses have the "+" sign, but no matter where I am, the phone dials "011". a cingular treo or nokia, or any forieng company that I have used will automatically dial the correct access code in a country. that is what my problem is.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
I don't think they have location sensitive contact list functionality yet. I am constantly adding and removing country code also. For instance, when I am in Shanghai, the contact number still have the country code I used while in U.S.

Sometime I add a duplicate number without the country code for local dialing. Yes, it is a mess.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 12:58 pm
JBa

Programs: some
I do have a Blackberry Pearl from ATT and all my contact phone numbers are entered as +1 123 123 1234 (no spaces between the numbers).

And yes, it works in the US, Canada, Mexico and Europe.

JBa

Originally Posted by Odysseus
1. what model Blackberry?

2. can you confirm that the "+" sign dials correctly outside of the US? by that I mean, it works when you hit somebodies number on your address book when you are traveling, right?

thank you very much.

Last edited by JBa; Jul 16, 2008 at 12:59 pm Reason: cleanup

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.