Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Taiwan prepaid SIM

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2008, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Taiwan prepaid SIM

I searched but only found older information on FT and I've read elsewhere that prepaid SIM cards can only be bought from phone company stores now. Is that correct and how difficult/time consuming is it to buy and activate a prepaid SIM?
Old Jul 15, 2008, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Platinum, 2MM since 1981, MAR Lifetime Plat, IHG Plat Amb. Global Entry
You need to bring your passport to the store or office of the mobile company. There are at least two, maybe more. They have you fill out several forms, they stamp them repeatedly and several others have to gawk at you, including the "officer", who is the manager, I guess. All extremely polite. They helped me fill mine out since it was entirely in Chinese. Who knows what I signed, but I ended up with a SIM that worked, and allowed me international calling (including the other China)

Have your hotel write down the address in Chinese so the taxi will know where to take you.

Takes maybe 15 minutes if you are insistent and don't get trapped behind too many other local people with billing issues.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 9:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, SPG PLT
You can buy the sim card at the airport Both Terminal 1 and 2 have celll phone booths and I believe they stay open late. Sim cards come with different prepaid amounts, and I think the cheapest is $300 NT which is about $10 USD. Most of the prepaid card support 3G network. You do need to provide two forms of photo ID, generally your passport and driver's license. This policy is strictly enforced, there is no way to get around it. It normally takes less than 10 mins at the airport and the sales agent will make sure your sim card is fully activated.

One of the major difference between Taiwanese cellular phone fee structure and US fee structure is that only the caller pays for airtime. It is free to receive call and make toll free calls. Prepaid sim card can make international call. You have the choice of the international dialing carrier regardless of your cell phone carrier. You should ask the sales agent which international dialing carrier offers the best rate.

Last edited by flyinglan; Jul 15, 2008 at 10:13 pm
Old Jul 16, 2008, 11:27 pm

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
Originally Posted by MagMile
I searched but only found older information on FT and I've read elsewhere that prepaid SIM cards can only be bought from phone company stores now. Is that correct and how difficult/time consuming is it to buy and activate a prepaid SIM?
There are lots of phone companies that provide prepaid service. Far East Tone, Chung Hua Telecom etc. You can purchase time at any convienence store including 7-11, Family Mart and even Carrafour at the electronic counter.

As previous posters mentioned, you do need two pieces of photo ID. Set up is pretty easy. Highly recommend that BEFORE you purchase a card make sure that your cell phone is compatible and unlocked. Had a few friends who thought that they can use their phone but found out otherwise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.