Search

Any Jungle Disk user out there?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2008, 1:28 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines
Original Poster

Any Jungle Disk user out there?

Hi,

I currently have a Windows Home Server which I back up with Carbonite. It only a very old underpowered machine, but it works great as a server.

As an education exercise, I'm purchasing a more powerful machine, on which I'll be running OpenSuse Linux, Oracle and a few other applications that I require. I'll also be moving all the stuff I've currently got on my Windows Home Server to the new machine.

So, I've been investigating online backups to replace Carbonite (which seems to be stuck as a Windows only service).

Jungle Disk looks good on paper, and provides a Linux front end, which connects to an Amazon S3 back end.

Anyone got any experience/comments?

EDIT - Oh yeah, just to keep this travel related, I run a Subversion server on the server to check in various code & documents while I'm on the road I'll be porting Subversion onto the new machine also, and will be looking to Jungle Disk to back up the repository.

Cheers,
Rick
Old Jul 11, 2008, 2:16 pm

Programs: US CP, *wood Gold, Marriott gold, Hilton something
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Hi,

Jungle Disk looks good on paper, and provides a Linux front end, which connects to an Amazon S3 back end.

Cheers,
Rick
Jungle Disk is great - I've used it quite a bit.
Just remember one thing, your data is only there and safe as long as you keep paying every month. there's nothing wrong with that - but its worth keeping in the back of your mind.
Old Jul 11, 2008, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Wirelessly posted (Blackberry8700c: BlackBerry8310/4.5.0.46 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/120)

Yep +1 for great experience with JungleDisk. I backup a Ubuntu server, Macbook and XP box on my single jungledisk acct. Also makes for easy filesharing between machines w/o much hassle.
Old Jul 12, 2008, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

++ for JungleDisk. I run it on an Ubuntu Hardy Heron server. It took me a while to get it working, but once I did it's been great.

Only problem is that if there's a network outage or any other problem, JD silently kills itself. So be sure to check on it every now and then.
Old Jul 13, 2008, 4:47 pm

i love jungledisk, especially since the new version came out. i worry about other companies that have an unsustainable business models (unlimited storage for $x a month) but amazon s3's "pay for you use" plan seems to work.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 8:54 am

+1 for Jungle disk.
I am testing with True crypt volumes and block level updates which seems to be working OK. I have JD+ for block level updates.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Thanks all.

I'm just about to start the server build. Hopefully I'll get to install and try Jungle Disk in a couple of days.

Cheers,
Rick
Old Jul 21, 2008, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Amazon A3 suffered its second major outage this year:

http://www.centernetworks.com/amazon-s3-down-july-2008

It's only 8 hours, but if you had to access your files during the outage, it would be mighty inconvenient...
Old Jul 23, 2008, 10:49 am
Original Poster

I've just found a major drawback with Jungle Disk, in that it cannot be run as a daemon So, you need to be logged on, with the application running for automatic backups to take place.

According to the support guys, it's something planned for a future release.

Cheers,
Rick
Old Jul 23, 2008, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Um, no, you run the GUI the first time in an interactive session to set up the config files, and then you set the regular jungledisk program to start automagically via the init script or upstart command.

At least, this is what you do in Linux. Maybe you're one of the 95% of computer users who uses windows.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.