Wiki Posts
Search

Alternative to Bose QC2s

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2008, 10:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
Alternative to Bose QC2s

I tried on the Bose QC2s in the Apple Store a few days ago and instantly fell in love with them. I have returned to the store no fewer than three times since then, and each time I am amazed at how comfortable they are. I currently have Sennheiser PX200s and I love them; however, after more than 3 hours they really get uncomfortable.

I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion on any alternatives to the QC2s that are as (or almost as) comfortable. I don't mind paying a lot - perhaps even $300 - but the Bose's just seem like a rip of for what they are: the sound quality was unimpressive.

Comfort is most important for me (size isn't, although I find on-ear more comfortable) Price also is not a deciding factor though I don't want to spend $300 when I can spend $100. Any ideas? Something similar to Bose comfort-wise would be ideal.

Thanks!

Cheers,
Old May 18, 2008, 10:23 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA 0.7MM
audio technica
Old May 18, 2008, 11:05 pm

You think the sound quality is unimpressive because they are Bose, or something you noticed specifically, and with what source?

Their headphone are much better than their other products. At least IMO.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; May 18, 2008 at 11:17 pm
Old May 18, 2008, 11:19 pm

Ebay is your friend. You can find new QC2's at good discounts. If you can stomach used ones, then you can get huge discounts.

I have tried at least 5 different headsets over the last three years and the QC2's are my personal favorite.
Old May 19, 2008, 12:33 am

So you're saying the Sennheiser PX200 at $49 (amazon) sound better than the $300 QC2s on the plane? How is that possible especially since the PX200 are on-ear type? I would imagine since they don't cover the ear and have no noise canceling that you have to turn them up so loud that it would disturb the passenger next to you.
Old May 19, 2008, 1:17 pm

Programs: Aegean Miles & Bonus Gold, HHonors Gold, Starwood Gold
Try the ones at Brookstone. I can't seem to find them on their website, but they have them set up for demo @ the stores in the airport.

I just bought an emergency pair when my Sonys crapped out mid-flight. Love them. Love them more than the Bose, and the Sennheiser 450's I recently returned.

-SF

Also, http://www.warehousedeals.com/ (by Amazon) is your friend!
Old May 20, 2008, 9:32 am

Programs: ex-AA EXP, DL GM, ex-1k SPG Plat
Awww Bose no.....
You guys need to make it to http://www.head-fi.org/
Personally I've been in a IEM mode lately but for my big cans been loving my Grado rs-2's
Old May 20, 2008, 9:47 am

If you can handle the in-ear monitors: then anything in the maximum you can spend will be absolutely delightful. Can't fault my Shure SE310 in any way.

If you find the IEMs uncomfortable, the Audio-Technica ATH-ANC7 offered pretty decent sound quality and noise cancellation, as well as only costing around 200-250 dollars (depending on which country you buy it in). In the UK at least, it represents a lot better value than the QCs, both in terms of price and performance.
Old May 20, 2008, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by stargold
If you find the IEMs uncomfortable, the Audio-Technica ATH-ANC7 offered pretty decent sound quality and noise cancellation, as well as only costing around 200-250 dollars (depending on which country you buy it in). In the UK at least, it represents a lot better value than the QCs, both in terms of price and performance.
They are a lot cheaper than that in the US. $122 with free shipping at amazon.com. Are they that good?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...search46751-20

-David
Old May 20, 2008, 6:20 pm

Just found this ... you can make your own for around $20.

http://lifehacker.com/305131/make-no...dphones-for-20

-David
Old May 21, 2008, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
You think the sound quality is unimpressive because they are Bose, or something you noticed specifically, and with what source?

Their headphone are much better than their other products. At least IMO.

-David
3-4 people I have talked to said that they found the sound quality of the QC2s unimpressive considering the price.

Cheers,
Old May 21, 2008, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by sadiqhassan
3-4 people I have talked to said that they found the sound quality of the QC2s unimpressive considering the price.

Cheers,
Were they using them on the airplane or on the ground in a silent room? I say that because headphones that sound good on the ground, often don't do so well when flying due to the engine noise, which the Bose are designed to reduce.
Old May 21, 2008, 11:23 am

Programs: DL DM (1.1MM), MR TEL, HH DL, Avis P+ National Ex+, blah blah blah
Exclamation cheap alternative

I found these (iSymphony @ frys.com). I've only had them a short while, but I like them so far. Similar in size and features (over-ear, removable cord, etc.) to QC2 @ 1/10 the price! My only complaint so far is that they are a little snug on my head, but I attribute that to them being relatively new.
Old May 21, 2008, 11:53 am
Suspended

Dear sadiq like porche their simply is no substitute.
Old May 21, 2008, 3:54 pm

Location: BNE, Australia...not too far from the nearest Qantas Pub err Club
Originally Posted by sadiqhassan

Cheers,
The sound quality of the QC2s is unimpressive period - they don't make music sound like the real thing. Bloated bass, sucked out midrange...

If you want sound quality with noise reduction/isolation, you'll need to go IEM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.