Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Outlook Address Book - count # of users?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2008, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM Gold AA Gold NW Silver Marriott Plat. SPG Plat. Hilton Gold Hertz 5 Star

Lets say I have my offline outlook address book setup.

Is there anyway, i can look at the GAL (global address list) and extract out
how many email accounts = users I have?
Old Mar 27, 2008, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
This is not just an issue with Outlook, I don't know why many services do a numerical count so you can be quickly aware of the number of items you have.

For example, on my router at home, I wish there is a numerical list of the MAC IDs I have allowed on my router access list. There are many places where a numerical count would have come in handy, so I can quickly determine changes. I don't know why more applications / places have a numerical list feature.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 11:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

There is not a way to get a count of the number of entries in the GAL through the address book interface. That being said, the entries in the GAL do not necessarily correlate 1:1 with the number or users in an organization. Moreover, the Offline Address Book (OAB) that Outlook uses while you are offline does not necessarily match up 1:1 with the GAL, though that is the default configuration.

I wouldn't depend on the GAL/OAB for anything other than presenting a list of addresses you can send emails to, and not a complete list necessarily.

My guess is that the OAB has a programatic inteface that you could script a count through, but I haven't gone looking for one.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA, CO, DL, WN, SPG Gold
It's easy to do in a few of steps.

File/Import & Export
Export to a file
Choose Excel
Select 'Contacts'
Do it.

Open and then scroll down the Excel file to get the final line number of contacts you have.

Note: if you want total email addresses you have in the address book for your contacts, you will need to scroll across to 'Email2Address' and Email3Address' and do a sum for those cells that are populated and add to the total.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 4:08 pm

Programs: SK*G & Centurion
Wirelessly posted (Nokia E61i: Opera/9.50 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.0.10406/286; U; en))

1. Go to your Contacts (from within Outlook).
2. Take a closer look at the status bar (bottom left of your screen). It should display how many contacts you have.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.