Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Looking for tablet/convertible notebook

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2008, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Looking for tablet/convertible notebook

I'm in the market for a tablet/convertible notebook, and I'm considering the Gateway C-141XL. I wanted to see if anyone has any recommendations or comments for tablets.

Danski
Old Mar 24, 2008, 7:29 am

I've ordered an HP Pavilion tx2000z through work, however, I don't have it yet. Will write up a short review when I get my hands on it.

Cheers,
Jeff
Old Mar 25, 2008, 9:13 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, United Silver
I hear the ThinkPad X61 Tablet is pretty good...although I like all ThinkPads anyway. I have a 4 year old Acer TravelMate C110. This thing's build quality is crap, but it is pretty rugged IMO, but its EXTREMELY slow at a clock speed of 1Ghz and only 508MB RAM. This is with WinXP Pro Tablet PC Edition, which is known to be the most buggy one in a long time. Anyway, back on topic. I also hear good things about the Dell Latitude XT but its really pricey and generally I don't like Dell's.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 9:57 am

Programs: CO Plat, NWA Gold, Delta, Hertz #1, PriorityClub, yadayada
Toshiba, Elevtrovaya

Originally Posted by Danski
I'm in the market for a tablet/convertible notebook, and I'm considering the Gateway C-141XL. I wanted to see if anyone has any recommendations or comments for tablets.

Danski
I have had a Toshiba Satelite for over a year and a half, and have loved it. I use it practically every day and travel with it twice each week. Have just ordered an Electrovaya Scribbler, so will post review when I start using it. I went with the Electrovaya as I have been watching it for well over 4 years, and the price has finally reached equalibrium with the market. I chose this one because it was the first truly tablet PC with a long-lasting battery. And it was the first tablet under 4 pounds and less than 1" thick. There are others now (Motion, Sahara, etc.), but since Electrovaya has been doing it longer and has the best battery on the market, this was my choice. Will let you know if I regret it!
Old Mar 26, 2008, 11:53 pm

You need to elaborate on usage.

What's more important? Portability & battery life? Speed? Internal CD? Weight?
Old Jun 17, 2008, 9:53 am

Just to make this a little on target, I recently purchased a Lenovo X61 Tablet with Vista Ultimate (and lots of memory). I used a Lenovo tool to configure the factory reinstall to not put quite as much bloatware (which by default is extremely excessive) on the machine. So far, after the reinstall, I'd definitely recommend it.

Other than that, I'm brazenly hijacking the thread, because it's over 2 months old and no one else is using it. So far, I've installed One Note which (appears to be the best reason to get a tablet.) I'm also looking at three Firefox plug-ins (Firegestures, Grab and Drag and GeckoTip). Can anyone recommend any other must-have or particularly cool software specific to tablets?
Old Jun 17, 2008, 11:42 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
I recommend checking the availability of the Fujitsu tablets on their eBay store. You can get some smoking deals there on not-quite latests-models running XP with OneNote installed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.