Vista SP1 is now available

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2008, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Vista SP1 is now available

Full download here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en

This is the complete SP1 update, i.e. it contains many hotpatches and fixes that were included in the incremental updates. SP1 is supposed to be available later today via Windows Update, and this will be a smaller download, as it will be customized to the downloading computer's installation.
Old Mar 18, 2008, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You mean it's available to the general public

It was available through Technet a month ago. It has fixed quite a few things, but there are still a few loose ends they need to sort out...
Old Mar 18, 2008, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ScottC
You mean it's available to the general public

It was available through Technet a month ago. It has fixed quite a few things, but there are still a few loose ends they need to sort out...
Indeed.

Also, I'd recommend that, before installing SP1, everyone do a full backup of their computers . . . just in case.
Old Mar 18, 2008, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Update

I've just installed the SP1 update. Installation was without any problems and completely automatic. It did, however, take nearly an hour and involved several reboots. However, I'm now running my Vaio SZ440 with Vista Business SP1. It's too early to say whether this will fix some of the weird bugs I've experienced over the last year. Time will tell.
Old Mar 18, 2008, 12:03 pm

Is it any faster? I'm happily on XP Pro on my previously Vista Business equipped laptop.
Old Mar 18, 2008, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lurker1999
Is it any faster? I'm happily on XP Pro on my previously Vista Business equipped laptop.
It's hard to tell, but most reports that I've read said any speed increase in SP1 is relatively nominal. I've been quite happy with the speed of my laptop, with the exception of the copy function. I'll have to try it to see if that's been improved.
Old Mar 18, 2008, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
PTravel,
Thanks for the heads-up about SP1 update. Just downloaded and installed. Boy, it took about 35-40 minutes to simply get it installed! Seem like eternity!
Hope it solves the USB problem that I currently experiencing.
To me, Vista has been buggy, compared to XP.
Old Mar 18, 2008, 1:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Lurker1999
I wouldn't expect it to be. The only major speed improvement that I can think of that they supposedly addressed was the issue with copying to a Windows server. Most of the generic "it is slower" stuff won't change. The OS is a bigger resource hog and there isn't much that the SP is going to change there.
Old Mar 18, 2008, 6:05 pm

Programs: LH Sen, SPG Platinium, Sixt Platinum
I installed it via windows update, took me aprox 15 Min.

Greetz
Old Mar 18, 2008, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
The network copy is what is said to be faster. Just got my invitation to update.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...echnology/home
Old Mar 18, 2008, 8:50 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by allset2travel
Hope it solves the USB problem that I currently experiencing.
My USB problem is now history. Not sure if it was SP1 that did it. But I am happy that my system is healthy again. Thanks.
Old Apr 3, 2008, 1:44 pm
Suspended

Ok quick question. When I do the auto update through microsoft, it doesn't give me the option to download and install SP1. The link above takes you to a page where you can download it BUT it says not for install on a single computer.

How do I get SP1? I would like to get rid of some of the quirks which this allegedly fixes.
Old Apr 3, 2008, 2:19 pm

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
Originally Posted by MapleLeaf
Ok quick question. When I do the auto update through microsoft, it doesn't give me the option to download and install SP1. The link above takes you to a page where you can download it BUT it says not for install on a single computer.

How do I get SP1? I would like to get rid of some of the quirks which this allegedly fixes.
Did you try the link in the first message? It takes you right to a download page.
Old Apr 3, 2008, 2:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by BLI-Flyer
Did you try the link in the first message? It takes you right to a download page.
Yes I did and that is where I found the message that the download is not for single computers, hence my question.
Old Apr 3, 2008, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MapleLeaf
Yes I did and that is where I found the message that the download is not for single computers, hence my question.
It's just their way of saying they'd prefer you download the one through Windows Update since it only sends you the parts you really need.

The large one linked to will work just fine for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.