Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Neat Receipts scanner

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2008, 9:14 pm
Original Poster

The Neat Receipts scanner

Returning from New York on Monday, I saw an Ad in the Delta SkyMall for the Neat Receipts scanner.

Has anyone on FlyerTalk purchase this item and been using it?

How do you like it?

Is it easy to use, or just another worthless item that sounds good?

I would appreciate your input. Thanks.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I see them being sold on kiosks in some airports post-security, SEA A concourse for one. In a package the size of a shoebox they look too big to be an impulse carry-on purchase.
Old Mar 13, 2008, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by lofly
Returning from New York on Monday, I saw an Ad in the Delta SkyMall for the Neat Receipts scanner.

Has anyone on FlyerTalk purchase this item and been using it?

How do you like it?

I am moving this over to the Travel Tech board where you will most likely receive a better response.

RSSrsvp - Moderator
Old Mar 13, 2008, 6:48 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Holiday Inn Platinum, peon on the rest
How do you like it?

I've been using one for about a year and so far I like it. It has completely removed the necessity for me to keep paper copies of my expense reports as I can recreate them at any time. Also, my company requires me to submit a scanned copy of the ER and receipts as well as the hard copy (go figure), so this makes it easy. Also, the size makes it possible for me to put in my carry-on suitcase and thus keep my expense report up to date every night instead of killing a saturday doing it!

The other thing I like about it is that it is also a document scanner and I can scan directly into PDF files, so if I need to fax stuff, I can scan and then send via efax without paying the hotel fees or going to Kinkos!

Bottom line, I generally wouldn't leave home without it!
Old Mar 13, 2008, 7:22 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Platinum, 2MM since 1981, MAR Lifetime Plat, IHG Plat Amb. Global Entry
They have had a kiosk off and on in IAH Terminal E, also. I have ridden by it on the moving sidewalk.

Do you just use it to make an electronic copy or does it actually organize the expenses in a form that can be easily used?

My company requires original receipts so I am still using scissors and tape. I don't think it would help me, would it?

How many of your companies accept copies, or other printouts that the Neat Receipts might create?
Old Mar 13, 2008, 7:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Holiday Inn Platinum, peon on the rest
Originally Posted by Platcomike
They have had a kiosk off and on in IAH Terminal E, also. I have ridden by it on the moving sidewalk.

Do you just use it to make an electronic copy or does it actually organize the expenses in a form that can be easily used?

It organizes in a form that can be used, it even appears to have a way to integrate with excel (never tried it).

You can find more info at: http://72.32.67.70/products/neat-receipts

The company I formerly worked for accepted scanned and faxed receipts, my current one does not. Hopefully my next one will !
Old Mar 13, 2008, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I use something similar to that, a Visioneer XP300. It is just a slight bit bigger but to me it seems to be sturdier as well.
Old Mar 13, 2008, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

planemechanic, do you have a web site for your item?

Would like to learn more about it.
Old Mar 13, 2008, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
planemechanic, do you have a web site for your item?

Would like to learn more about it.
I believe s/he's talking about this one: Visioneer Strobe XP 300.

I had looked into the other cheaper (or earlier) model, Visioneer Strobe XP 100, when they offered a rebate but wasn't able to get one from my local area a while ago. Not sure if it's still on the market though.

I recalled ScottC mentioned another nifty scanner as well (sorry I forgot which thread it was in).
Old Mar 13, 2008, 8:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I used to use the Visioneer device mentioned. The drivers for it are horrible and old. I finally got tired of screwing with it and bought a Pentax DSMobile 600 scanner. So far I've been extremely happy with this one - it's USB powered, and the OCR/scanning software it comes with is written by Adobe so it does a good job.
Old Mar 14, 2008, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I've been thinking about using this for a while. Has anyone tried this for expense reports? Can one edit the amounts that are scanned in? I often get a receipt for meals only part of which can be expensed to my customer. Is it easy to handle things like that? How does the interface with Quickbooks work? Does this product handle transactions in different currencies, such as some receipts in Euro or Pounds and some in US Dollars?
Old Mar 14, 2008, 7:21 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, spg gold, hhdiamond
costco

saw the neat receipts scanner at COSTCO yesterday... It doesnt support Mac so i passed on it.. However you can try it and return it if not what you are interested in.. I think it was $149

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...se=&lang=en-US
Old Mar 16, 2008, 1:25 am

Programs: UA GS
As some mentioned here - the neat receipts does not support mac and I looked at the Pentax and the review on amazon said it also does not support mac.

Anyone have a receipt scanner that they can recommend for a mac?
Old Mar 16, 2008, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by lin821
I believe s/he's talking about this one: Visioneer Strobe XP 300.

I had looked into the other cheaper (or earlier) model, Visioneer Strobe XP 100, when they offered a rebate but wasn't able to get one from my local area a while ago. Not sure if it's still on the market though.

I recalled ScottC mentioned another nifty scanner as well (sorry I forgot which thread it was in).
Often times, while companies may accept copies, rebates like Verizon wireless phones we just sent in last week, require the orignal. So in a way, it's funny how you can get a rebate on this scanner... I mean, do you need to send them the ORIGINAL receipt to get it?

I guess that means you just make it easy to keep the copy, but I just thought still, it made me chuckle, since the whole concept lends itself to probably throwing these flowing receipts away more.

MM
Old Mar 16, 2008, 6:31 pm

Programs: Airline/TSA Avoidance Platinum, Hotel Disloyalty Silver, Hertz 1.7*
Originally Posted by iwebslinger
As some mentioned here - the neat receipts does not support mac and I looked at the Pentax and the review on amazon said it also does not support mac.

Anyone have a receipt scanner that they can recommend for a mac?
I dunno if it's efficient for filing receipts, but this Fujitsu works well with Macs apparently. I'm thinking of getting one for use by someone in our office. http://www.amazon.com/Scansnap-S300-...5713624&sr=8-1

The Pentax is supposed to work, and there is a review from someone on Amazon who says it does. May be more hoops to jump through though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.