Search

crackberry pearl help, basic stuff

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2008, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold, Alaska MVP Gold
crackberry pearl help, basic stuff

just got a new one and had a couple of questions i couldn't find answers to:

1. is there a way to delete all the SMS messages in the inbox and outbox at once rather than deleting them individuall?
2. on the "normal" profile, the sound is really loud, is there any way to keep the normal profile but turn down the ringer and message indicator tone a bit? when the BB is on "quiet", it's silent and that's no good.

i looked around howardforums and some other sites but nothing seemed to have the answers to such simple questions. everything works great on it, just wondered about these things. thanks guys.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 3:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

To number 1, you should be able to highlight a date row, click the BB button and have the option to either delete or mark read prior messages. If you are at the top of the list that would be all the messages.

Not sure how to adjust the ringer volume - mine is always on vibrate.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

here's another one, is there something i can use on my PC to edit the address book? a whole bunch of #'s got deleted when i switched over from verizon
Old Feb 22, 2008, 5:03 pm

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by UCBeau
here's another one, is there something i can use on my PC to edit the address book? a whole bunch of #'s got deleted when i switched over from verizon
Yes. Load the Desktop manager and use it to sync with Outlook. You can also use DM to restore from backups you should be using DM to make.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

unfortunately i don't use outlook, never liked that program. but i will play more with DM to see what i can do
Old Feb 22, 2008, 11:12 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, SPG Lifetime Gold
just got a new one and had a couple of questions i couldn't find answers to:

1. is there a way to delete all the SMS messages in the inbox and outbox at once rather than deleting them individuall?
2. on the "normal" profile, the sound is really loud, is there any way to keep the normal profile but turn down the ringer and message indicator tone a bit? when the BB is on "quiet", it's silent and that's no good.

i looked around howardforums and some other sites but nothing seemed to have the answers to such simple questions. everything works great on it, just wondered about these things. thanks guys.
1. If you have SMS messages mixed in with emails that you don't want to delete, in the message view, hit the 7 dot button to the left of the pearl, and scroll down to View Folder. You can then select SMS Inbox or Outbox and do as sbm12 suggests above.

2. Maybe select a ring tone that is not so loud or use a song as your ringtone. Don't think you can actually adjust the ringer volume as on other phones.

here's another one, is there something i can use my PC to edit the address book? a whole bunch of #'s got deleted when i switched over from verizon
Outlook or Outlook express is going to be the easiest way.
Old Feb 23, 2008, 1:53 pm

unfortunately i don't use outlook, never liked that program. but i will play more with DM to see what i can do
You don't have to use Outlook for email, but still use it to sync your address book, calendar, memo's etc... The DM does have several other programs it will work with.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 7:18 am
Original Poster

looks like I'm gonna start using outlook, thanks guys ^
Old Mar 1, 2008, 3:46 am

Programs: Air France FP. A rave ato'a ia'u te manureva. Haere maru!
I dont use outlook, but rather google calendar. There is a download for the Pearl which is called Google sync. It syncs your computer Google Calendar with your BB. So I can go to Google calendar from anywhere, add my calendar info and it will automatically sync to the BB, or I can set it to update instantly from the phone itself.
Old Mar 1, 2008, 8:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Axi22
I dont use outlook, but rather google calendar. There is a download for the Pearl which is called Google sync. It syncs your computer Google Calendar with your BB. So I can go to Google calendar from anywhere, add my calendar info and it will automatically sync to the BB, or I can set it to update instantly from the phone itself.
I use this too, but am very frustrated by the lack of a similar sync option for contacts. There have been hacks and workarounds from time to time, but nothing truly easy and straightforward
Old Mar 1, 2008, 11:18 am

Combined e-mail and SMS inbox?

Here's a problem I'm having: I used to have my e-mail and SMS combined in the same inbox. Following a BB software "upgrade" last year the inboxes are no longer combined. There is a box under General Options that should combine the two, but it doesn't work. A techie at T-Mobile confirmed it on his Pearl as well.

Is there any way I can get a combined inbox? It's annoying as hell, as the only way I know I've got a text message is by subtracting the number of unread messages from unread e-mails. Then it's a few clicks to check.
Old Mar 1, 2008, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by Tod E Tosser
Here's a problem I'm having: I used to have my e-mail and SMS combined in the same inbox. Following a BB software "upgrade" last year the inboxes are no longer combined. There is a box under General Options that should combine the two, but it doesn't work. A techie at T-Mobile confirmed it on his Pearl as well.

Is there any way I can get a combined inbox? It's annoying as hell, as the only way I know I've got a text message is by subtracting the number of unread messages from unread e-mails. Then it's a few clicks to check.
Did you try a different theme? Go to Options > Theme and try a different one. Some themes combine it, and some don't.

See: http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.p...7;26_RingTones for how to unlock vendor themes if desired.
Old Mar 1, 2008, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by DeafFlyer
Did you try a different theme? Go to Options > Theme and try a different one. Some themes combine it, and some don't.

See: http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.p..._%26_RingTones for how to unlock vendor themes if desired.
Thanks. That did it. I prefer my old theme, but I'm sure I'll get used to this one. The weird thing is the other theme did have a combined inbox until the software upgrade.
Old Mar 1, 2008, 11:09 pm

This is one of the most ridiculous things with Blackberrys and is even more mind-boggling since Palm had it done so long ago. Why isn't there just a simple desktop app to add/edit contacts?! Having to use Outlook is a lame cop-out and RIM needs to get their act together in this respect.
Old Mar 3, 2008, 3:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thelark
This is one of the most ridiculous things with Blackberrys and is even more mind-boggling since Palm had it done so long ago. Why isn't there just a simple desktop app to add/edit contacts?! Having to use Outlook is a lame cop-out and RIM needs to get their act together in this respect.
I agree completely, my old Palm M515 had a simple contact editor, why can't the far more advanced blackberry have such a thing?

Another question for you pearl users, how do you keep the trackball clean? I think a tiny piece of dirt got in there and is sometimes causing issues while trying to scroll down.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.