Wiki Posts
Search

registering domain

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2008, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB, EB, Delta, AC, PC, HH.
registering domain

I've used Joker for all my domain registrations but now I'm piffed off with them. Apparently they now demand a faxed copy of CC and some forms you need to fill and print off their site before they will accept the registration. I am not happy.

Therefor I am looking for a new registrar company. Am thinking about godaddy.

Any other suggestions? I wantto transfer out all my domains asap.

Cheers
/E
Old Jan 24, 2008, 10:07 am

I use godaddy for all of my domains and have been happy with them though they did shutdown seclists.org, http://seclists.org/nmap-hackers/2007/0000.html which was not cool at all.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 10:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'm a long-time godaddy customer and very happy with the service and functionality available. They've even added an option to customize your order or proceed to checkout, allowing you to skip all the add-ons that they sell if you want to.

s.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Godaddy does the job just fine.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 10:34 am

Programs: AA Plat, Delta Plat, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Diamon
I've used GoDaddy, Register.com and Network Solutions. They all do the job ok. However, I'm shifting more and more to Network Solutions because of their partnership with Delta. Not sure if the mileage/point programs that you participate in have any domain registration partners or not, but it's probably worth investigating.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 11:16 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
There have been several good threads about it here, if you search for godaddy (as that's the most mentioned one) they should come up

I have all mine at namesecure, namecheap and one and one.

Make sure to check the features that are important to you, many registrars no longer e-mail forwarding as part of the package for example, they say to "prevent spam" but it's to get you go purchase that for more money.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by griffinj
I've used GoDaddy, Register.com and Network Solutions. They all do the job ok. However, I'm shifting more and more to Network Solutions because of their partnership with Delta. Not sure if the mileage/point programs that you participate in have any domain registration partners or not, but it's probably worth investigating.
You can get miles for registering domains?

I doubt AP does that.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 11:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by griffinj
However, I'm shifting more and more to Network Solutions because of their partnership with Delta.
You're paying 3-5x just to earn miles?? At 1,000 points per domain, paying $15-25 more per transaction is a very high per mile cost. I wouldn't go near that one.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 11:38 am

Programs: WN RR
I'm a Registerfly refugee whose domains got moved involuntarily to a combination of GoDaddy and eNom. GoDaddy is cheaper than eNom for domains, but is relentless with the upselling on every purchase. They're also overpriced on add-ons like anonymous registrations. Enom is slightly higher-priced on domains, but is not in-your-face pitching other things to buy every time you do a transaction there.

I've had customer service contacts with both over minor issues and the experiences were equally good.

Between the two, I'd give a slight edge to enom.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 3:05 pm

Just helped a friend register her domain - godaddy did a good job.

$50.00 for 1 year hosting and 2 years for the domain. Not bad.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 3:14 pm

Be sure to read the godaddy terms before you purchase from them. The deal breaker for me was that they can shut down your website and "steal" you domain name if they don't agree with what you're doing on a moral or ethical level.

I've posted sooo many long posts on here so if you want further details, feel free to search for my old posts.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 3:18 pm

Programs: AC Elite (waddya mean it's expired?), HHonours Gold, bunch of other stuff
I've been very happy over the last 5-6 years with easydns.com.

And I'm firmly in the 'don't register where you host' camp. If you ever have a hassle with your webhost, you don't want them having any control at all over your domains. No fine print, no hassles. In fact, my registrar doesn't even offer hosting.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AC110
I've been very happy over the last 5-6 years with easydns.com.

And I'm firmly in the 'don't register where you host' camp. If you ever have a hassle with your webhost, you don't want them having any control at all over your domains. No fine print, no hassles. In fact, my registrar doesn't even offer hosting.
If I had any problems with my host the call would be very local. All I need to do is look in a mirror. :-)

I'll check out easydns.com
Old Jan 24, 2008, 3:29 pm

Programs: WN RR
Originally Posted by AC110
I used to do support at a web host that had registration as a sideline, and I agree with that notion to a point. For absolute beginners, using the registrar's hosting (or the host's registration) eliminates the need to point DNS and a lot of associated confusion. People who are comfortable setting DNS records and who understand propagation are better off keeping the two separate for the reasons you indicated, unless they trust their host/registrar implicitly.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by myfrogger
Be sure to read the godaddy terms before you purchase from them. The deal breaker for me was that they can shut down your website and "steal" you domain name if they don't agree with what you're doing on a moral or ethical level.

I've posted sooo many long posts on here so if you want further details, feel free to search for my old posts.
Not that any of my sites include inappropriate material but no way I agree to that. Thanks for the heads up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.