Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wi-fi finders

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2008, 3:54 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by cblaisd
I've been really pleased with the Trendnet one I bought last week. And it's got a big rebate currently.
Given that the iPhone has a wifi sniffer built in, I have the Trendnet available if anyone's interested.
Old Jul 19, 2008, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cblaisd
Given that the iPhone has a wifi sniffer built in, I have the Trendnet available if anyone's interested.
I haven't found a WiFi sniffer, per se, for my 3G.

If you attempt to access the net, and you are not attached to a known WiFi hotspot, it will display a list of what is available.

I don't know that you can then walk around and see a changing list of those hotspots within range. . .
Old Jul 19, 2008, 8:23 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

There's a nice "Stumbler" app available via installer to those with jailbroken (jailbreaked? jailbroked? ) iPhones.

If you move, yes, you have to refresh it, but you have to do that with the Trendnet or any I've played with.
Old Jul 19, 2008, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Cool.

I hope they release the jailbreak code for the 3G soon. I know it is claimed to have been done. What I really want is SyncML and a nice calendar client.
Old Jul 19, 2008, 8:49 pm

Apparently, it's officially out tomorrow.

But only for Macs so far.
Old Jul 19, 2008, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by birdstrike
Cool.

I hope they release the jailbreak code for the 3G soon. I know it is claimed to have been done. What I really want is SyncML and a nice calendar client.
it was released earlier this afternoon. users are reporting mixed success. some have it working without a problem and others have errors or other issues. also, installer 4.0 has not yet been released, and most (maybe all) jailbreak apps will need to be updated, so there's not a huge point in jailbreaking it just yet.
Old Jul 19, 2008, 10:14 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
A sniffer differentiating between a security locked site and an open site is easy, but there are a lot of sites that are open to connections, but once you try to open a web page, the log-in for pay page comes up (e.g., T-Mobile at Starbucks).

Others are seemingly open sites, but are actually MAC address locked so you can't actually connect and get on line.

Do any of these sniffers deal with these situations?
Old Jul 19, 2008, 10:24 pm

Not in my experience, no.
Old Jul 20, 2008, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
A sniffer differentiating between a security locked site and an open site is easy, but there are a lot of sites that are open to connections, but once you try to open a web page, the log-in for pay page comes up (e.g., T-Mobile at Starbucks).

Others are seemingly open sites, but are actually MAC address locked so you can't actually connect and get on line.

Do any of these sniffers deal with these situations?
If you are trying to break into a locked WiFi AP, there are other tools. Just google WIFi hacking.
Old Jul 20, 2008, 10:08 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by stimpy
If you are trying to break into a locked WiFi AP, there are other tools. Just google WIFi hacking.
No, just want to be able to find out if it is a real open connection so I don't waste my time booting-up the computer just to find out it's not.

In the two situations I described, it would be quite difficult to readily hack into them. If it was just a WEP security secured site, that would be easy, but the two common scenarios I described are more robust than that.
Old Jul 20, 2008, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
No, just want to be able to find out if it is a real open connection so I don't waste my time booting-up the computer just to find out it's not.

In the two situations I described, it would be quite difficult to readily hack into them. If it was just a WEP security secured site, that would be easy, but the two common scenarios I described are more robust than that.
Actually breaking in MAC security is vastly easier than breaking WEP security.
Old Jul 20, 2008, 1:40 pm

A friend carries a old Nokia N700 for WiFi finding. It's been set up to scan for WiFi access points, find and test "open" connections by trying out a couple of URLs to weed out those that redirect to login pages.

It also has copies of Kismet, airdump and other tools loaded.

I also picked up a couple of N700s during a past fire sale, but haven't bothered (or had the need) to turn any into a WiFi "wardriving" gadget.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.