Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Please don't laugh - my ipod has been washed.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2007, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FB, EB, Delta, AC, PC, HH.

A family member wanted to be kind and did laundry for me. I came home from a meeting only to be greeted by said family member who asked me if my ipod could have been damaged by being washed in a washingmachine at 4o celsius for about 45 minutes to an hour.

There is water sloshing behind the glass.

I've found a video on how to open the ipod and am going to attempt drying it. Still, I guess this is a lost cause. Or?

Any ideas? It is out of warranty. My family member is going to call the insurance company as they have "stupidity" coverage. Problem is I'm most likely having a flight friday.

OK, you can laugh now.

/E
Old Nov 7, 2007, 2:17 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Ouch! Sorry to hear about your iPod.

I would give it a try, drying it out, but I am guessing that being in the water for more then 2 minutes would ruin it much less 45 minutes and getting thrashed about.

You could always just dry it out and then sell it on eBay. (just kidding)

Just to check, you didn't purchase the iPod with an Amex or other warranty extending card did you?
Old Nov 7, 2007, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

You may have a point there. I did by it on a visa charge card. However - I doubt it will be covered on warranty anyway. Dunk in water and all that. More an insurance issue.

Just managed to open it and am going to set it on thick towels on a radiator over night. There are sponges in there?!?

/E
Old Nov 7, 2007, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA GS
Take this as a good reason to buy a new iPod. Between the shuffle, the new nano and the now-80gb or 160gb classic, there are lots of good choices.

AND - if you can find someone to buy one in the US for you, you'll save piles of $$ thanks to the currently horrible exchange rate (horrible for us, great for you).

Tim
Old Nov 7, 2007, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
I love stupidty coverage ^ My mother's uncle bought her this hideously expensive designer suede coat (I almost fell over when I learned the price) and the housekeeper washed it after about a year. The cc covered all $4xxx of the cost!

Cheers,
Old Nov 7, 2007, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by Emma65
A family member wanted to be kind and did laundry for me. I came home from a meeting only to be greeted by said family member who asked me if my ipod could have been damaged by being washed in a washingmachine at 4o celsius for about 45 minutes to an hour.

There is water sloshing behind the glass.

I've found a video on how to open the ipod and am going to attempt drying it. Still, I guess this is a lost cause. Or?

Any ideas? It is out of warranty. My family member is going to call the insurance company as they have "stupidity" coverage. Problem is I'm most likely having a flight friday.

OK, you can laugh now.

/E

In Tide or out Tide?
Old Nov 7, 2007, 2:58 pm

Consider this ~

if you have opened it, just leave it on a small towel or facecloth to get the 'sloshing' water out of it for a few minutes.... then put it in a zipper bag with a silica gel pouch or capsule (in vitamins, shoes, etc ~ there always seems to be some available).
If it is saveable - this method should work.

I have done this with supposedly waterproof watches and (blushing) my cell phone ~ I think it's the unassembling, dabbing and scrubbing that does most damage.

Let us know what happens --- this is 'good to know' material!
Old Nov 7, 2007, 2:59 pm

Try letting it dry out thoroughly, you may be surprised. There are plenty of stories of Blackberries and other phones that, once they dried out, went on to lead productive lives after a dunk. I don't know if the flash versions (e.g., nano) would be more likely to survive.

Of course, the detergent probably didn't help.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YYCWoMaN
if you have opened it, just leave it on a small towel or facecloth to get the 'sloshing' water out of it for a few minutes.... then put it in a zipper bag with a silica gel pouch or capsule (in vitamins, shoes, etc ~ there always seems to be some available).
If it is saveable - this method should work.
You are a genius!

I have a shop in town that sell tech stuff. I'll go in there tomorrow. Also have plenty of zip-lock bags so I'll stick it in one of those.

I'll give it a go. Got nothing to lose, do I.

How long should I leave it with the silica bag?

/E
Old Nov 7, 2007, 3:22 pm

Programs: QC Life, AA
I might consider wash my 14yo daughter's ipod as it could clean up some of the songs she listens to. Some of the new songs contains more swearing than you would hear on a construction site.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 3:39 pm

Put the iPod between two Snuggle softener sheets... It will help remove any static buildup when u are drying your iPod... I hope that help...
Old Nov 7, 2007, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
The first thing they ask when you take it in for warranty service is "is there any water damage?". So don't fret that your warranty's up.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SRQ Guy
The first thing they ask when you take it in for warranty service is "is there any water damage?". So don't fret that your warranty's up.
Being out of warranty is the last thing I'm worried about right now.

It's on a low set radiator between linen kitchen towels right now.

My beer is empty so I'm going to nod off.

/E
Old Nov 7, 2007, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tim iridium
Take this as a good reason to buy a new iPod. Between the shuffle, the new nano and the now-80gb or 160gb classic, there are lots of good choices.
I was going to wait until after next macworld and see if they'd be bringing out any new bigger ipod touch.

If I'm getting a new ipod, that'll be the one.

/E
Old Nov 7, 2007, 4:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by Emma65
My family member is going to call the insurance company as they have "stupidity" coverage.
I need that. Where can I get it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.