Wiki Posts
Search

Magicjack

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2010, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
Originally Posted by Mackieman
You do realize that cordless phones use radio waves too, right?

I won't derail the thread with how silly cell phone radiation is in reality, but I will note that a lot of my contact and other pertinent information is on my Blackberry, and so it is useful to have it rather than have to pull information out of it and then use a softphone or other physical phone connected to the MagicJack. Call it a convenience factor, I guess.
Yes, but my point is the cordless speaker phone has *much* better speaker / sound quality, so I can hold the phone further away from my body, than sticking the cellphone next to my head to chat. And NO, the concerns of sticking a cellphone that is emitting and receiving wireless signals for hours right next to your brain is not silly.

Not only that, but when I'm using the cellphone with the magic jack, I risk not being able to get text messages, alerts on my smart phone, and maybe even regular cellphone calls depending on how the magic device will work. I see no advantage, other than being able to singly using the device to dial out. That's a one time action that I can easily manually do on the cordless phone or the softphone.

In fact I have a very good landline in my home office, that I will very often use to make calls because of the better sound quality and convenience of great speaker phone, than using my cellphone with unlimited minutes.

Make sense??
Old Jan 16, 2010, 7:47 am

I think it may work as a roamer's tool, e.g. in a foreign country. I probably wouldn't want to use it to get cheap phone service at home.

One question is personal. How important is it for you to be able to wander around a little with your phone. If a portable cordless phone is important, this might be helpful. My next notebook will contain Windows 7 and I have a phone that can use TMobile's Hotspot at Home. Connectify plus one of these phones sounds like a better idea.

I own an Asterisks box at home and also have a Magicjack. I bought a $9 utility which allows me to use my Magicjack with with Eyebeam softphone client (dial, ring, hangup, etc). I basically use the traditional device as a soft ATA.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 6:31 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS, BA-Gold
Just an update, used it in India in Jan w no real problems, besides having to validate my email addy every time.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 8:06 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Delta
Question: Can you call the UK from the US using Magic Jack without incurring additional costs?
Old Feb 15, 2010, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UK Traveler
Question: Can you call the UK from the US using Magic Jack without incurring additional costs?
No. However, the costs are very reasonable -- on the order of pennies a minute.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by UK Traveler
Have you checked magicjack.com? http://www.magicjack.com/international/
Old Feb 16, 2010, 6:00 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Confession time. I had read only the top 2 pages and the most recent couple of pages of this long thread. Users of MJ on this thread pretty much convinced me to ditch my landline ASAP. Before I actually do that, can some one share if & how MJ handles faxes? Currently, my landline is used to support a fax machine as well as voice.
Any feedback about MJ's ability to support fax (or not) will be appreciated. Thx.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
Doubt it will handle faxes. If you need fax support, keep your landline or get an e-fax service.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 6:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
I've used my magicjack all over Greece, as well as Mexico, Central, and South America with good results. Results are dependent on having a reliable internet connection.

Faxes don't work well with MJ. Some people have gotten it to work, but it is reportedly not terribly reliable.

Here is a post from elsewhere:

Originally Posted by LVTrave
Magic Jack has an extensive FAQ on their website.
http://www.magicjack.com/2/faq/

Part is here:

Your Question

Can I send and receive faxes using magicJack?

Answer

SOMETIMES.

We do not officially support using faxing with magicJack.

Please try the following steps to use magicJack with your fax (contact your
fax manufacturer for details):

Turn off error correction on your fax machine or program
Set the fax machine or program to use the slowest speed available
Increase the speed, checking at each speed that faxes work
Old Feb 16, 2010, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can send faxes if I drop the transmission speed. I would not rely on MJ for this purpose, however, on any but the most casual basis.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 7:24 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Thanks everyone for your feedback re faxes on MJ.

Ptravel,
How do you drop the transmission speed? is it adjustable on the PC or on the fax machine (I use a multi-function HP printer for fax).
Old Feb 16, 2010, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by allset2travel
Thanks everyone for your feedback re faxes on MJ.

Ptravel,
How do you drop the transmission speed? is it adjustable on the PC or on the fax machine (I use a multi-function HP printer for fax).
Your HP printer will have a menu option to change the speed.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 8:54 am

Programs: *A, Hertz Plt, IC RA, SPG Gold, MR Plt
Sorry. But how do you use Magicjack on a cell phone? I thought you need to plug in the usb thing on your computer. Any guidence would be much appricated.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 9:04 am

Programs: KE Skypass, Morning Calm
Originally Posted by UpgradedFirst
Sorry. But how do you use Magicjack on a cell phone? I thought you need to plug in the usb thing on your computer. Any guidence would be much appricated.
MagicJack will be selling a different device for use with a cell phone:
MagicJack Providing Cell Phone Service With Their New Femtocell
Old Nov 18, 2010, 1:47 am

Originally Posted by Rampo
MagicJack will be selling a different device for use with a cell phone:
MagicJack Providing Cell Phone Service With Their New Femtocell
Any update on this Fem to Cell device from MJ? Been almost a year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.