Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

DeLORME Street Atlas USA 2008 vs. Microsoft Streets & Trips 2008?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2007, 9:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: *wood Gold, Marriott Gold, DL Silver, Hilton Silver, F9 Ascent

I guess 2008 is really around the corner--the tech shops are carrying the 2008 versions of Quicken, Encyclopedia Britannica, Street Atlas USA etc.

I've been using S&T since '03 or '04 and really like it. So much so that I bought the Pharos GPS unit and also a Bluetooth docking cradle because my work laptop has Bluetooth. Looking at the box for the new DeLORME Street Atlas USA 2008 PLUS, I saw a lot of features that look interesting.

Any opinions on the Street Atlas software? Any comparisons to MS S&T? I'm thinking about buying a PDA and since they've all but vanished from the shelves, I haven't decided if I'm going with PocketPC or Palm. I noticed that the DeLORME supports both.
Old Sep 13, 2007, 9:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jonesing
I guess 2008 is really around the corner--the tech shops are carrying the 2008 versions of Quicken, Encyclopedia Britannica, Street Atlas USA etc.

I've been using S&T since '03 or '04 and really like it. So much so that I bought the Pharos GPS unit and also a Bluetooth docking cradle because my work laptop has Bluetooth. Looking at the box for the new DeLORME Street Atlas USA 2008 PLUS, I saw a lot of features that look interesting.

Any opinions on the Street Atlas software? Any comparisons to MS S&T? I'm thinking about buying a PDA and since they've all but vanished from the shelves, I haven't decided if I'm going with PocketPC or Palm. I noticed that the DeLORME supports both.
I've used DeLorme and MS S&T both since 2005 with my laptops, though haven't experienced S&T using a GPS unit. I am biased toward the DeLorme product and it's only $69 retail now for the latest version including the tiny GPS unit (last time I checked). Very accurate navigation, voice prompts...and voice recognition as well.

Just my 2 cents!
Old Sep 14, 2007, 12:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: *wood Gold, Marriott Gold, DL Silver, Hilton Silver, F9 Ascent
Thanks for the speedy response. I checked a couple of reviews and it looks like nobody is really thrilled about either product. And it looks like the 2008 MS S&T will require product activation. No more planning trips and such on the desktop and then transfering the datasets over to the laptop and use the same copy of software.
Old Sep 14, 2007, 3:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExecPlat
S&T 2008 does indeed require registration. I tried it briefly but didn't really care for it and ended up uninstalling it and reinstalling S&T 2007. In my opinion, unless you want the newer GPS receivers, there is not really much of a reason to buy a copy of S&T every year.
Old Sep 15, 2007, 6:03 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hilton Diamond, MR Plat, PC Plat
Originally Posted by dyung
S&T 2008 does indeed require registration. I tried it briefly but didn't really care for it and ended up uninstalling it and reinstalling S&T 2007. In my opinion, unless you want the newer GPS receivers, there is not really much of a reason to buy a copy of S&T every year.
S&T 2007 had some improvements (voice directions) but other than that it's the same as 2006.. 07 had a smaller NAV device, but also required a new docking station..
Old Sep 15, 2007, 6:18 am

Programs: United MP
People still use these programs?
Old Sep 16, 2007, 9:47 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage, SkyMiles, USAir, Singapore, BA
I still use these programs because I can use them on my desktop to plan a trip, on a laptop in the car to drive a route, and in my PocketPC to walk one. I can upgrade the software every year for $40. If software doesn't appeal to you, what do you like better about your chosen approach?

For the benefit of anyone contemplating the purchase of a GPS receiver for laptop/palmtop use: be sure that the technology is SiRF star III - it's light years ahead of the II version.

Last edited by CessnaJock; Sep 19, 2007 at 10:41 pm
Old Sep 16, 2007, 2:52 pm

Yup, I definitely still use these programs (although I'm still using S&T 2006), because I can take out the laptop and get quick directions (or look for places to eat, or whatever) without an internet connection. GPS is good, but I still like my detailed directions and maps...
Old Sep 17, 2007, 5:09 am

I've used both, but not Delorme for several years. In my opinion, the Delorme maps are better and more current. I find their software interface terrible, however. It used to be much easier before they came out with that "Road Warrior Edition" (which I have). Back in the old days, Delorme allowed imports of your own POI (contacts, address book or whatever). Now they do not allow imports in their base map program. MS Streets still does. This functionality, plus their much easier interface is what makes me keep using their software despite the slightly dated maps.
Streets uses Mappointe technology (and has for several years) to map out business stuff and do routes. The routing is not bad, and you can "optimize stops" easily. In my opinion, the base Delorme mapping program has been eclipsed by Google Maps and Windows Live (both better, newer and provide the same function although you need an internet connection).
As I implied, the big reason I use Microsoft is I can import my hundreds of customers and map them out. I can also export sections of this to my phone (pocket pc---pocket Streets) and the contacts are there. This also works with GPS although does not routing---just shows where you are with a dot like Google Maps for phone.
Old Sep 20, 2007, 1:21 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hilton Diamond, MR Plat, PC Plat
Just noticed Streets & Trips 2008 was released. $40 at Best Buy. Anyone know about the new version with MSN Direct?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.